“Fantastic honeymoon”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Fantastic honeymoon”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We island hopped in Hawaii for our honeymoon and this was our final hotel. I would recommend this hotel!

The complex is incredible, it's huge. It has its own monorail and boat to get you from each side which is fab!

The swimming pools are amazing and they have pools specifically for kids which is good so we avoided them! Ha

There is no beach at all as its all volcanic rock but this just fascinated me! The scenery is so different to the other islands ( we visited Oahu and Maui).

The sunsets at this hotel are amazing and they have one restaurant where you can sit, eat your dinner and watch the sunset, it's so romantic!

There is so much to do at this hotel you don't really need to leave but if you do there are two main shopping places nearby which are a nice walk or there is a complementary bus to them.

They have a dolphin sanctuary in the hotel and you can swim with them however if you don't want to do that you can sit and watch others do it.

They probably have a restaurant for every type of cuisine you may want as well.

There is free wifi in all public areas and around the pool which is good for contact with back home.

I would return and recommend this hotel, simply fantastic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catlady81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Monroe, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband, son and I just returned from the Hilton Waikoloa Village. We thought it was a beautiful resort. We stayed in the ocean view towers with a great view of the ocean. The room was average but clean. There was quite a bit of walking invovled but....help burn off some of those calories. We did take the tram a couple of times. I didn't find the wait time on the tram long.

We checked in around 4 pm and it was fast and smooth. The front desk was very helpful through out our visit.

Food prices in Hawaii are quite high. But the resort restaruants were really high. I would think to keep the customers from leaving the resort to eat at outside restaurants they would adjust those prices to keep them there or....even keep some of the pool side grills and market places open a little later for the families that don't want big meals.

Our package included the buffet breakfast which was really good! I will miss their banana bread! I found the Aloha pass was a big benefit to our family.

The grounds are very well maintained. They are just beautfiul!

Our room was always cleaned right away. There always seem to be lots of cleaning people around.

My favorite was watching the dolphins.

My only disappointment was the service. There were only a couple of people that i considered giving good service but still nothing that wowed me. My husband and I are very easy going people and there was a lot of attitude with bartenders and servers. Hilton that is where you need to brush up! It's all about the service. You need to check out the service at a Sandals resort!

Oh.....the birds were not an issue with us. Yes, I could hear them but.....didn't bother me.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view and location of the Ocean View towers. It's a long walk to the lobby but...
2 Thank auggie2016
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We are big fans of the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki and decided to check out the Big Island and try the Hilton Waikoloa Village. WOW - this resort is paradise - it far exceeded our expectations. We were able to upgrade to a deluxe ocean and dolphin view in the Lagoon Tower 3rd floor and the view was spectacular - could not get any better. We could hear the ocean and dolphins and slept w/the patio door open partially every night. The room itself was just a nice as in the pictures - loved the double sinks in the bathroom since it was me, my hubby and two boys - I could have my own sink. I thought the beds were very comfortable - and we are used to sleeping on a Tempurpedic at home. Loved everything about this place - coffee shop was just below our door to our room, the quiche there is great - a value compared to other restaurants there (yes things are very expensive), got a huge piece my husband and I could share 3 mornings in a row. Coffee was expensive at $5 a cup- but great. Every single person who worked there at the shop was super friendly.

Concerning the bird noise others have mentioned - yes, you can hear birds at dawn and dusk - but - even with our patio door partially opened they never woke us up. It was not that bad - and we thought it was neat to hear the sounds of nature. Regarding the roaming cats others have mentioned - we saw at least 5 different cats daily - but they did not bother anyone, were not any dirtier than a pet cat, and my kids loved seeing them everyday. The dolphins at the resort were quite a treat as well - also liked the turtles, etc....saw several in the lagoon and in ocean right there at property.

Concerning the big property and long walks others have mentioned - it really isn't that long of a walk from one end of the property to the other if you are an able bodied person. It's pleasant with art work, or paradise to look at if you walk outside on the paths. We only took the tram once and boat once just so the kids could say they did it. We never felt crowded and nothing ever seemed noisy, never had to wait for elevators or anything but yet the place was almost 100% occupied while we were there.

Pools - excellent! So many different ones to try, we did them all and the kids loved them all. We also did the mini golf course twice, the boys loved it and what a beautiful place to play it right by the ocean. Tennis courts - my husband and I did the group lesson one AM but we were the only ones so it was like a semi-private. The pro was very good and super nice. This is your best bet because if you do a lesson, you also get a free hour on a court the same day. If you just rent a court it costs $35 an hour.

Parking secret that someone else mentioned - if you stay in Lagoon Tower, this is ideal for the self parking lot. Don't bother going back up to the lobby. You can cut through by the timeshare desk, go down the stairs and walk past the Kohala Spa desk, past and through the tennis courts and boom you're right there in the self parking lot. Someone else mentioned a gate being locked at 7 PM but not sure what they were talking about - we saw not locked gate that you had to get through ever.

People who have complained about the rooms of this property must have stayed in the Palace or Ocean tower. That seems to be what I read before we booked, those must be the outdated ones people are taling about. We made sure to book in Lagoon. We were sad to leave and tried to extend our stay a few days but could not change our flights. We left and went to Waikiki to stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village for 9 days and although we love it there, it felt like a step down after staying at Hilton Waikoloa. I sure hope I get to go back!

11 Thank mariareier
Ellettsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed for 9 days in late January. The ground were beautiful as was the room. Our room in the Lagoon Tower was recently remodeled and very nice. The food was top notch at every restaurant we tried, however the prices were a little high.

This is a first class resort and would gladly return if given the opportunity.

Room Tip: The Lagoon Tower has newly remodeled rooms with views of the ocean and the dolphin area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carrie K
Fremont, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Not sure how to describe it - Out of the world.
It is THE MOST spectacular resorts I have ever visited. You enter it and feel it. The area is huge and is optimally utilized for towers and water pools. There is an internal tram and boats to help you commute from one tower to another. The boat rides in itself are more than relaxing. The is a variety in restaurants - some built right at the beach and looks amazing with torch lights at night; another is like a boat station. Food at all the of these places is worth a try. the pools, artificially created water falls, bridges to connect one place to another gives a luxury feeling of stay. Just sit for a while at the Budha point and feel the air - forget the world. There is also a golf course.

During the day there are so many so many activities to do - you will love each to it. At night/evening, after good warm meal at one of the restaurants inside the resort, we would just sit quietly on the beach just enjoying the night with burning torch lights and sound of waves lashing on the shore.The experience is unforgettable.

Room Tip: If you really wish to enjoy, do go in for a room opposite to the shore (ours was right across budha...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank vm007
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our family of 6, with 4 kids aged 8-10 stayed here in December. It is an awesome resort with something for everyone. We stayed in the Lagoon tower and the rooms were very nice. The ocean front rooms had a beautiful view. It is a huge resort with several different towers, it even has a tram and boats you can take to travel between the restaurants and pools and different towers. The pools were great although i would say they were a little cold. The lagoon was by far our favorite thing to do. It was so cool to be able to snorkel with the green sea turtles and all the fish. We also really enjoyed kayaking and paddleboarding. I would recommend getting a family pass instead of paying for these things hourly if you think you will spend a lot of time there. The variety of restaurants is great and the food is pretty good at most of them, only reason why I didn't rate this hotel excellent is because the restaurants could get very crowded at night and have VERY long waits if you didn't have reservations - I felt like they were understaffed more than overcrowded. That would really be my only complaint. Overall we had a wonderful experience and would go there again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The lagoon tower has been updated and was very nice. Room on the 3rd floor or above have great views...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Monica C
Auburn CA
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am a Travel Agent and have stayed at resorts all over the world. The Hilton Waikoloa is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever experienced. I traveled with my wife and 11 yr old Daughter in Jan 2013. Check in was very quick and efficient and then we were pointed to our boat shuttle (WOW!) that took us to the Lagoon Tower where we had a Dolphin View room that also had a nice partial ocean view. They also have a tram but the boat shuttle (2pm-10pm daily) will take you virtually anywhere in this huge 62 acre ocean front resort. During the times the boat is not operating, the tram is very efficient and plays recorded information about the resort. It is also worth walking through the resort as you will be greeted with millions of dollars worth of fantastic art throughout the resort as well as shops, Dolphin Quest, waterfalls, bars, coffee shops, restaurants, sea turtles and fish in their fantastic ocean fed lagoon, etc. During a lei making class, we were pleasantly surprised with a fantastic Humpback whale show in the ocean. They were lunging out of the water for at least an hour. What a sight! Here is my breakdown of the resort:
Rooms: Nothing spectacular but very clean, with fridge, coffee, tea, flat screen TV, Playstation 3 (Games and movies included in $25 day resort fee), very comfortable beds, nice deck w/ chairs, nice toiletries, etc. We didn't spend much time in the room but when we did, it was very comfortable. This review is for the recently renovated Lagoon Tower only - I did not see the other rooms. I do know that for us, it was worth the upgrade to be in the Lagoon Tower overlooking the Dolphin Quest area. Every Morning it was great to wake up with a cup of coffee and see the dolphins playing right below our room with a nice Ocean View as well!

Resort Fee: There is a $25 per night resort fee that includes wifi, PS 3 games and movies, daily classes (one per day - others are charged at $10), local calls, and some discounts. I think it should include a little more but all in all, I have seen resorts charge more for less.

Lagoon Pool: This is spectacular and provides fantastic snorkeling opportunities for all ages. The Lagoon is naturally fed by the ocean and the many sea turtles and other ocean fish come and go as they please. My 11yr old Daughter and I spent hours snorkeling here and were always greeted by numerous Sea Turtles, Beautiful Fish, and other ocean life. I highly recommend spending lots of time here but I also recommend bringing your own snorkel and mask as they charge $20+ day rental or $10 hour. WAY overpriced. Also, there are so many other nice places to snorkel on the Island that is very worth it to have your own set up. Even if you buy it at Costco or Walmart when you get there it will be money well spent. Contact me for more great snorkel areas.

Restaurants: We had a rate that included breakfast which is the way to go as the Breakfast Buffet is $30 per Adult and $11 for kids. It is a good buffet with lots of choices but NOT worth $30 per person. Hamburgers at the Grill will run you $14 each and are ok. Japanese Restaurant will run you anywhere from $29-$70 per person. Luau will run you $109 per person (unlimited drinks w preferred seating will cost another $26 per person). I found a much better option minutes away - feel free to contact me for details. My point here is, food is VERY expensive here so just be prepared. To be fair, I did hear people raving about the Japanese restaurant. I prefer going to the grocery store in Waimea for some delicious Poke ; ) or to some of the other good restaurants in the area but that is just me. If you are staying for a while, it is worth trying a couple of their restaurants but I would highly recommend eating elsewhere some of the days as well simply because there are other great options in Kona that are reasonable.

Classes: They have daily classes that are included in your $25 per day resort fee (one per day per room for entire family - there is a fee for most other classes). Kamiana, the Hilton employee that handled the classes was fantastic! We did the conch blowing class, ukulele class, and the lei making. All were very enjoyable. They also have Hula classes and others.

Water slide, waterfalls, Jacuzzi, pools: WOW! The resort has 2 waterslides. The best one is on the Lagoon Tower side and is approx.125ft long. Really fun and drops into one of their pools. Just below that is another pool that leads to a Jacuzzi under a waterfall in a cave type setting. All spectacular and very enjoyable! All included in your resort fee - just need to show your room key or tell them which room you are in.

Dolphin Quest: They do have a Dolphin Quest area on site where you can swim with and have a dolphin experience for an extra fee (quite spendy but if you have never done it. . . .maybe worth it to you). You can view the entire experience for free every day, take pictures, etc which is very nice. Or, as I mentioned, you can upgrade to the Lagoon Tower with Dolphin view and see it from your balcony.

Parking: Self parking is $17 per day or Valet for $22 per day. Obviously it would be nice if it were less but I have definitely seen worse and they could charge more and get away with it.

In short, I would have easily given this resort 5 stars if their food wasn't so overpriced. It truly is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever experienced with impeccable service and would not hesitate to recommend it to my clients with the disclaimer about the food costs and recommendations on other places to eat. As a matter of fact, I have some clients having their wedding and honeymoon there in February. As a Travel Agent, I do have tools that allow me to find great package rates and know the Big Island quite well so don't hesitate to contact me with any questions at alleventstravel @ gmail . com

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Lagoon Towers recently renovated. The resort is beautiful and the Big Island has many places to see...
10 Thank AllEventsTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!