“Still a wonderful resort on the Big Island”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I first stayed at this hotel shortly after it was built (when it was a Hyatt) and loved it so much I had to stay there again when I was back on Hawaii. The Waikoloa Village was built by Hyatt but is now run by Hilton. Normally I prefer to stay at boutique hotels but this property is so unique that I can overlook the negatives of staying in such a large property. The Waikoloa Village is almost like 3 hotels spread over a huge area of rugged volcanic coastline with a large golf course behind it. They have a monorail-type tram if you want to move around the vast property fairly fast or a lovely little boat system for more enjoyable, leisurely travel through the various lagoons and canals. I especially enjoyed taking the little boats to and from the restaurants since it's a relaxing way to begin and end the meal. The outdoor, covered walkways connecting the various buildings are lined with beautiful artwork and sculptures so sometimes we preferred to use them just to enjoy the art. Lots of walking is usually necessary to go between the many restaurants, pools, etc on the property but they've done such a beautiful job of landscaping that I enjoyed the exercise. However, even with the tram and boat system, the Waikoloa Village is so spread out that it may not be a good choice for someone with walking difficulties.
The service was consistently wonderful and unobtrusive all over the property. My only disappointment was that we didn't stay long enough to have another dinner at the Kamuela ( aka KPC). Loved having breakfast overlooking the ocean each morning. Our rate included breakfast which we felt saved us money. We had an oceanview room in the Palace Tower and I loved the view from our lanai. It was nice to see how the beautiful landscaping had matured over the past 20 years. Our king bed was very comfortable and the room was larger than a typical hotel room and well-designed.
This is a wonderful resort filled with a wide variety of activities. My favorite was to hang around the dolphin pool and just watch them. I most enjoyed it in the early morning and twilight hours when the dolphins would leap and dance on their tails all alone in their lagoon. I also enjoyed swimming in the massive lagoon pool with its quiet coves and behind-the-waterfall hideaways.
The Waikoloa Village is a lovely oasis from which you can easily explore the Big Island and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chartravels
Write a ReviewReviews (8,185)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We arbitrarily picked Ocean Tower--name sounded nice. Overall, we enjoyed our stay a lot. However, this building is a brisk 10 minute walk from the reception area which is itself a few minutes walk from the parking area. The Tower can also be reached by tram which is a ten minute ride and usually the trams come every ten minutes unless one is out of service. The walk between the reception area and Ocean Towers is along a covered outdoor art gallery, really a lovely walk. However we are used to parking our rental car right next to where we stay, so if you get to your car and realize your forgot something, it's going to be atleast half an hour to go back to your room and pick it up. If this bothers you, pick one of the other buildings.

A potential upside of Ocean Towers is that it is probably less crowded and noisy. We paid for a partial ocean view room and were upgraded to a full ocean view room. The ocean is maybe a good block away. We were on the sixth floor and turned off the AC/heating and lived and slept with the balcony door open, altho after the first night we closed the screen door at night to keep out flying insects which were not very numerous.

We picked this general location (Kohala Coast north of Kona airport) because one of the best swimming beaches on the island is Anaehoomalu Bay (abbreviated as A-Bay at the resort) which is reached either by a beautiful seaside walk from the reception area, the resort's free shuttle, or your rental car. We also picked this location because it is North of Kona airport and the main traffic on the western side of the island is south of Kona airport so by being north of the airport the whole Kohala coast is accessible w/o traffic.

A person or a family could spend days at the resort with all the pools. There is a super large salt water swimming lagoon as well as tons of swimming pools. (No matter what building you stay in you are within a stone's throw of a pool.)

Overall we enjoyed our stay a lot. Why didn't I rate this 5/5 instead of 4/5? At times the bigness of the resort was a disadvantage and at other times an advantage. The restaurant on the terrace overlooking the ocean was good and the price was okay considering the wonderful view. The informal restaurants by the pools or at Ocean Tower served microwave bar food. In fairness we didn't try the other high end restaurants. (We ate a lot fresh fish in small town restaurants.) The tram between the reception area and Ocean Towers (actually the tram for the whole complex) had pretty chilly air conditioning and riding it got boring fast. The resort ran a boat along the tram route for several hours in the evening and this was a much nicer conveyance, but to save money the resort only runs one or two, despite having a fleet so we only took the boat if it happened to be there when we got there. For the bigness of the resort the lack of modest priced eating was a drawback.

It must cost a phenomenal amount of money to maintain this breath taking resort and it was beautifully maintained. This is far classier than your usual Hilton. So if all the pools and lagoons and the porpoise pool and the art work and boat rides impress you this is great value because the room rates are Hilton rates, not luxury resort rates. If you are not captivated by the whole resort, then it is easy to complain about waiting for a tram or spending a lot of time getting to a modest priced attractive dining option.

6  Thank cruiser25
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

This exotic "Disneyland" was not for us. Bought a small pkt of Oreos for $3.75 before we Checked out as I was hungry.I later bought these for $ 1.75 at Marriott just to but things into context. I cannot understand why they have one elavator to serve the Gigantic Ocean towers!.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is seeking a quiet getaway. I found this hotel to be tacky and expensive. This review is based on our visit in Dec 2012

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Leylahni
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Aloha! I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to ensure every guest is happy with their stay and are sorry to hear that our resort did not meet your expectations. Our Ocean Tower does have 6 elevators (2 on one side and 4 more near the tram stop) and there are more elevators for our staff to service the rooms. At check-in, our goal is to make sure each guest is comfortable finding their way with accurate directions, including maps of the resort. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a part of a deal where the overall price was supposed to be a great value. The resort is beautiful and on a HUGE property that made us feel we were in Disney World (we like Disney). The lengthy walks to/from main reception were fine because we needed any little bit of exercise we could get--but you really have to take that into account for time management. Boats and disney-like monorail are offered but we could usually walk faster due to wait time. My biggest problem is that they charge for everything. We are both HiltonHonors silver members and would have liked some benefit to that. However, nothing was provided for us (not water, internet, use of the business center, etc). Everything is extremely expensive: The breakfast buffet is $30, plus taxes and tip, $8.50 for one each coffee/tea! and food at the resort's own restaurants is very overpriced. The room was fine, but definitely dated. There are so many people here that there are always lines for anything (checking in, coffee purchase, etc), but the service was excellent. All of the staff were excellent.

Room Tip: Even though it was our honeymoon, and we are silver members, there is no assistance in getting a roo...
3  Thank sarahnapa_CA
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We recently stayed there in conjunction with a conference and arrived early to enjoy some vacation days. The resort is on a beautiful and expansive area apparently stretching over 63 acres. The lengthy walks to/from main reception and some of the pools did not bother us as a bit of excercise has never hurt anybody. Our biggest gripe is that they practically charge for everything. I am a HiltonHonors silver member and usually there is free bottles of water in the room upon check-in and often so is internet. The breakfast buffet is $30, plus taxes and tip! At this property a bottle of water will set you back $5 in the Sundry shop and food at the resort's own restaurants is grossly overpriced. Think Manhattan prices and then some! The rooms are a bit tired and we changed for a different one that was not quite as worn. I believe the Lagoon Tower has the renovated rooms. Make sure you check. They however, (no surprise there) come at a premium. Our recommendation is to rent a car and explore/experience this beautiful island and local restaurants (in Weimea the Red Water Cafe is terrific). While everything is more expensive in Hawaii (for obvious reasons) we found the prices at the resort exorbitant. One feels a bit taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. If not available at least get one with good sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank AtlantaTravelPro
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Okay, this is a big place, so that could be plus or minus. It is something like a cross between a big airport and Epcot center. They have a captive audience because you are a long way from town, or even a fair priced grocery store. So the whole Waikaloa establishment banks on the hassle to leave the resort to find food or fun. It was about 20 minutes from our car to the room, with or without the monorail train ride. The food price and quality, and hotel layout is much like an airport, with multiple concourses and a train ride between each. Never found a restaurant we enjoyed and drink prices were frightening (like $9 beer or $15 margaritas).

The worst part was the air conditioner made my wife very sick. I got suspicious when I realized her symptoms got better away from the room, but didn't find the source until my wife was losing her voice. I showed the front desk a picture of the mold and serious problems my wife was having. No sympathy, no offer to move us, no "what can we do to make this right" attitude, just a call to maintenance. This place really seemed to be all about the money and cranking the cattle through.

In the spirit of full disclosure, this was not my first choice for lodging for many of the above reasons, but mainly the poor location for the sightseeing and touring we had planned. The only reason we stayed here was the discount package we were offered. Even with the discount, we paid too much and wish we had stayed closer to town. I've included a picture of the moldy mess I showed the front desk clerk.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shibumi365

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. Our location on Hawaii Island, also known as the Big Island, is very un-spoiled and un-crowded. Part of the island's natural beauty is this sense of how Hawaii has evolved. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again to further explore our special island.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Although we didn't stay here at this resort , we visited here and it is absolutely beautiful!!! We watched the dolphins at the dolphin quest get trained. Got some great photos of that. We really came here to snorkel because we heard they had a great snorkeling area in the lagoon. This was by far a highlight of our trip, ( and we did some amazing things on this trip). The lagoon had so many different fish and lots of turtles! It was easy snorkeling because it wasn't out in the ocean. Easy to access and still waters. This was actually I believe the best snorkling I have ever done. Whether you stay here or not, you MUST snorkel here!
This resort is so huge, ( almost too huge) they have a tram that goes on a rail around the resort to get you from one place to another because of its large size. The grounds are fabulous. And the statues were so interesting through out the grounds.
We also ate breakfast there that morning. They did have a very large buffet and it was tasty but it was 30.00 a person and we got a breakfast buffet at the Royal Kona resort and it was only 15.99 and it was actully by far my favorite breakfast buffet on the island! ( Waikoloa Marriott was amazing buffet too and less expensive) So way overpriced.
This resort might not be for everyone because it is so large , but it is an absolute stunning property! I don't think you would be dissapointed to stay here.Although we liked the Marriott very much and were glad we stayed there. It would just take such a long time to get to where you want to go. You can't just pick up and walk to your car , or go to breakfast without a very long walk or without taking the tram. Great area to stay though and such a lovely , upscale resort.

Room Tip: You MUST MUST snorkel at the lagoon!!!!!!!
3  Thank Christa H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!