“Place and People are wonderful,but the room not so hot.”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kieler, Wisconsin, United States
“Place and People are wonderful,but the room not so hot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

The property itself is breathtaking! The views are wonderful, the food was good, the people are what make this Hotel. The room was just clean enough when we checked in, the stayover service was better each day. But the AC did not work right we called twice and someone came to look at it and said it was fine and nothing was done. The coffee pot did not work right, that was never fixed. For the first 3 days the internet did not work right, then they had someone fix it. We did have free wifi with the group we were with, but if you were on your own it will cost you. Put on you walking shoes, the tram was nice but you also had to wait forever for it. Don't get me wrong I loved our stay,But they could do better on a few things.

2 Thank Shanelle S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,852)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

As a 40th anniversary present for my parents, I decided to book a Presidential suite. Our group consisted of my parents, my husband and I, and our 2 children and we wanted to stay together to make the trip special and increase our time spent together.

I researched the suites quite a bit and spoke with the on staff reservations agent for the suite several times. I was originally quoted $9520 for the Presidential suite for 7 nights, plus an extra $400 if I wanted to ensure a suite in the Lagoon tower. That's close to $10,000 if you're doing the math! Several calls later I added our triple A rate and got the charge for the roll away and crib for our children waived to bring us closer to $9000. Quite the splurge for my husband and I but we wanted to ensure a memorable trip.

Upon arrival, we were assigned the suite in the Lagoon tower without having to pay the extra $400, thank goodness. Unfortunately, the suite failed to make a grandiose first impression and went downhill from there. Now I had read the reviews of the resort and knew that a lot of the rooms were old. This suite was old and run down to the point of being disgusting. The main issue was that the carpet was ragged and torn and exposed TACKS at the area where it met the tile in the small kitchenette. The first day my 2 year old son stepped on it, which caused blood and a lot of crying. I should have followed a report at the time and will be doing so. After that point we had to put a towel down so no one else would get hurt. A maintenance worker told us it would take almost a full day to fix it because they had to stretch the carpet over it and re tack it. We left the towel down to avoid the inconvenience.

In addition to the dangerous carpet there was water damage in the bathrooms, peeling wallpaper, lots of carpet stains, the couch was ripped in the corners, a post on the 4 post bed was broken, stains on one wall, the shower knob kept falling off, closet doors wouldn't stay on their tracks, the shutters wouldn't shut, got stuck, came off the track and the carpet was stained and ragged in several areas. See my pictures.

On top of all that, the Presidential suite comes with NO extra amenities. No free WiFi, no free parking, no executive lounge, no free cabana, not even a special welcome, nothing. Therefore, it was quickly determined that our room rate certainly did not reflect the room. I tried to come to a solution with management, who would only credit us $400 because any more would be "absurd". I should have pressed him to come up and tour the room.

Now, the resort itself is huge, gorgeous and well maintained. No complaints there at all! Unfortunately, our experience was ruined by coming back to a suite that was such a disappointment. I'm just sick that I spent so much money for a special occasion that it brings me to tears. I just hope I can prevent others from making that same mistake.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose a Presidential suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank MegCMU
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review of your family stay in one of our suites. I sincerely apologize for the condition of our suite and assure you we will be working to improve these conditions for our guests. Please also accept our sincere apologies for the injury your child suffered during your stay. We will do our best to repair this carpeted area so that future guests are not harmed by the tacks. Thank you again for your review, we hope to provide a better stay for you in the future.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm usually pretty easy to please but I hated this resort. The rooms are in dire need of renovations and my room smelled so musty and nasty I had to have it changed. It is so large and impersonal--you have to take a tram to get around. And finally, to add insult to injury, the breakfast buffet is $30pp-what a rip-off!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank JulieFlanders
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of the issue with your guest room. I often times utilize guest reviews to assess insights within our hotel operations and I have reviewed your feedback with the hotel team. Earlier this year we started the process of refreshing and renovating all of our guest rooms. Our Lagoon Tower is complete and we are planning on completing the entire resort. Your feedback regarding all aspects of your stay, including breakfast, will be kept in mind as we work to improve our guest experience. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and hope to see you during your next visit to the area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a bit old and needs some refurbishing, especially the rooms. Not only they must be handled but there is always a strange smell like making you feel you are in India. The major problem is the administration. I have booked for an Ocean View Room which is higher category than just a regular room. While booking on their web site I have also ticked to have a possible upgrade at the time of check-in. When I arrived to the hotel they told me that they had the availability for an upgrade to suit room with sea view for 149$ + tax a night. I accepted it, got to the room which was a complete disappointment. The room was located at the second floor just seeing the grasses of the garden and nothing to do either with the sea view suit nore a suit room itself with very old furniture and a strage smell. I asked to change, they offered me the same category in another tower. When I got there it was another story. The room was facing the huge columns of the building and again no sea view. Imagine you are coming to Hawaii, ready to spend any amount for the hotel and what type of room they are giving you. Then I asked a different room and no matter what, I was even ready to be downgraded. They said about a regular room on the fifth floor at the far end building of the hotel. I went to check. This was the room I was actually talking about and wanted to have, a complete sea view, cozy and nice. Now ready to read this.... this very last room was just a regular room...
I am not going to write about spending my hour by moving one room to another, from one building to another at night or how they just don't care about your request even I had enrolled their loyalty program. What a loyalty....

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Hardwings
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

It is slow between T-giving and Christmas...so we loved it!! We read the reviews about this hotel being a haven for families with kids. My husband and I were here...just us. Due to the timing, it was wonderful. It was well located and had tons of ammenities. I can see that if it was summer with lots of kids, it would be like staying at Disney World. Pick your timing well and it is great. The room was large and clean, the staff excellent...we ate at several of the restaurants and they were very good. Loved the lobster at the K Provision Company...right on the beach. The lagoon beach is great with hammocks, chairs, sunset nooks and snorkeling with the turtles. We were flying home on a Sunday red-eye at 10:30pm. They let us have late check out at 8:00pm (they did not have anyone checking into our room). We stayed at the resort during the day watching football in the Maholo lounge, snorkeling in the lagoon, eating at the Mexican restaurant...showered and headed to the airport. We will stay here next time.

1 Thank LLJ56
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here August of 2009, not 2012. First off, this Hilton has amazing views and scenery. Our kids got a kick out of the tram that has a japanese translator. The boat to get to the room is also nice, but it takes very long. There is a long walk to get to your room, especially if you get an ocean view. You have to take the tram, but it is fun for the kids. But, the fun ends there. There is nothing to do around the hotel. The most disappointing thing of all is that there is not a beach on the grounds of the hotel. We had to drive back and forth on the main road until we found a beach. Everything at the hotel was ludicrously expensive. The restaurants, the coffee...the rentals...everything. If you want to swim with the dolphins, be ready to empty your wallet. The room was nice and spacious.

If you go to Hawaii, don't go to this island, go to Maui. It looks like Mars because of all of the black lava...kind of cool, but it gets old very quickly. Not a very pretty island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Reem H
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent 3 nights here and were blown away by the beauty of this hotel's grounds. Fantastic views and gorgeous sculptures. We saw lots of sea turtles as well.

The room however, was a disappointment. The room really needs to be refurbished. The carpet was dirty and coming up at the corners. The wallpaper was curling at the corners. One outlet didn't work and the two bedside lamps were broken (the switches were broken off so you couldn't turn on the lights). WIFI was $19 per day and parking was $15 !!!

The place was so huge, you needed to take the tram to get around and it beeped every time it stopped. We could hear the beep from our room even though we couldn't see the tram. ( We hate AC, so had our windows open) We stayed in the palace tower, which had a huge open atrium. At dusk the trees were filled with chirping birds...it was eerie.

There are lots of little trails, which are very nice.

1 Thank europeupclose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!