“The Most AWESOME Hotel on the Big Island!!!”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott for 5 days and our AA flight was cancelled so they booked us a free night at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Too bad we didn't stay at the Hilton for the entire trip!! This is truly a 5 star hotel!! The hotel has a light rail train that stops IN THE LOBBY!! It has that Harry Potter feel!! You ride the train to other areas of the property. It has 5 stops I believe and is easy to find your way around & very ultra modern. We arrived late at night and didn't eat at the restaurants but we did have a breakfast buffet the next morning in the main area that we were directed to. The breakfast was awesome and I'm sure overpriced but it was compliments of American Airlines. Our room was very spacious, much larger than the rooms at the Marriott. Our room number was 3024 and it had a lanai that was open to a beautiful garden area. The room was very large with a comfortable king bed and the a/c was perfect. NO COMPLAINTS!! It was very quiet, did not hear any children or adults in our area. Explored the hotel the majority of the next day. It has a beautiful man made rock waterfall that you can walk under and take pictures as well as swimming areas that are plentiful. We enjoyed watching visitors swim with the dolphins & feed them while one of the employees filmed it. They housed 8 to 10 dolphins and two of them had babies a couple of weeks old with one dolphin expecting to deliver any day we were told. There is lots of asian art to look at and exotic African Crowned Cranes walking around that you can take pictures of. Spectacular view of the beach and ocean!! There is also a canal for boat rides that run beside the light rail train. Thanks to our cancelled flight we got to experience this magnificent hotel. If we ever go back to the Big Island, we will definately stay here!!! Loved it!!!

Room Tip: Room 3024 was very large with access to a beautiful garden and golf course.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jennymc_11

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this resort for a week. There are 3 sections of hotel towers: Lagoon, Palace, and Ocean. Lagoon is closest to shops and lobby. Ocean is closest to restaurants and also very high in density. Palace is quieter and more private. There are boats and rail that take you from tower to tower or you can walk. It took us 19 mins to walk from Palace tower to the parking lot.

The main decor of the property is statues, mostly Asian theme. What I find disturbing is that they are not coordinated. For example, you'll find a Chinese artifact on one side of the wall and the Egyptian painting right across. They will have a Hawaiian beach dancing painting next to a Thai statue. In my humble opinion, they have way too many statues and they have overdone the decor without any coordination effort. Also, a lot of the statues represent some history of the Asian culture but there are no labels describing any of them.

This resort has many restaurants but all over-priced. Be prepare to pay $6 for a cup of coffee. The closest place you can get reasonable price food and grocery is Queen Marketplace or King's Shops a few miles down the road.

With the excessive decors in the property, one would imagine the room will have some nice decor too. It is not! The rooms are extremely simple, slightly better than a very nice Hampton Inn.

Perhaps I had higher expectation before I came. Afterall, this is Hawaii right? And the room rate per night is $240. We arrived on Fri afternoon and we drove up the drive way to drop our luggage. The bell man came to help with my luggage and disappeared. I thought he had taken my luggage to the front desk area. I went looking for him because I wanted to hand him some tips but then when I found out that my luggage was actually sitting unattended next to a bench by the front door, I decided to keep the tips.

The front desk service is mediocre too. The check-in was pretty normal and I didn't feel any special welcome at the reception. The lobby was full of people and pretty noisy. To me, the Kona Airport has a better welcoming atmosphere than this resort. :-)

There is no free Internet or parking at the property so you are looking at addition $30 per day to your stay.

The parking lot is huge but not all the rows are marked. It can be a challenge trying to locate your car if you don't memorize exactly where you park.

If you can't stand cockroaches, don't stay here. One night we were walking in the property and I saw a pretty good size cockroach in the garden, not too far from the restaurant. That yikes me!

Oh, don't bother about the Luau here. The performance was average and they pretty much rushed you through your meal. When the performance is over around 8:30pm, the food and beverage sections are closed. We didn't even get to use our second drink voucher!

Last thing - always check your bill. When we checked out, there was one restaurant item in our bill that didn't belong to us. Apparently someone signed the restaurant bill to their room but the clerk in Hilton entered the wrong room number in the system and it came to us.

Overall, it is a nice property if you don't have high expectation. If you have kids they probably would enjoy the dolphin education or snorkeling the property offers. Other than that, nothing much to shout about.

5  Thank codebeans
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I write my reviews based on being a travel consultant and as a consumer (my husband traveled with me one night of my three night stay in this case).
Pros: - large, renovated rooms in the Lagoon tower
- Deluxe Ocean/Lagoon view rooms are worth it to see the dolphins every morning, that was a huge highlight for me! Kids would LOVE this!
- The Hilton's balconies were some of the largest I saw (we did site inspections of multiple resorts in Kona)
-Large rooms!
-Again, I think the Lagoon tower would be worth any extra costs; location is ideal for everything
- Monorail or boat service throughout the resort for those who do not like to walk/or unable to walk comfortably
- All the staff I encountered were fantastic!
- Hilton works really well with travel consultants - so use one, the perks are worth it!
- We were fortunate enough to experience a 'reception' at the Hilton - they did an amazing job; it was well staffed, there were plenty of food stations, drink stations, etc so if you're considering for a wedding reception, rest assured, they can handle it (we had around 180 people)

Cons:
- In our good-sized group of consultants staying there; I think we all confirmed that only the bar/lounge is open after about 8 or 9PM (this is pretty typical Hawaii though)
- Even the sundries shop isn't open until 730AM and closes before 9:30 or 10PM, but the staff will go out of their way to get you any necessities!
- the birds. I wasn't sure if I would mention this in my review but I think it's worth just mentioning. There are birds at the resort (not one's they brought in!) they are extremely loud at 4AM then again at sunset; it's the oddest thing - they are working on trying to naturally get them to leave...we asked if people complain about it & they said not as often as you'd think which makes sense because you forget about it until it happens again. I only heard them in the morning because I was waking up at east coast time; other people said they woke them up but the pillows are fabulous and will block out any noise :)

Overall, I think it's a great resort for families!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Heather C
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed 3nights at the Hilton Waikaloa. Truly a really nice resort.. However the rooms are just OK... Dated decor.. Air Con not that good.. I hear it's a problem in most rooms.. I had asked for a fan and they provided it to me free.. Stayed in room 3037 ground floor in the Ocean Tower with a spectacular view of the Golf Course and Ocean. The resort is huge not a problem for me as I found new places as I went exploring everyday.. The decor around the resort is bizarre to say the least... They have camel statues and then it's a Buddha.. Then a minatour... Wth.. Plenty of pools. A really fun lagoon to swim and snorkel in.. They have Water slides that are for adults and kids open till 6pm and some pools are open until 11pm.big plus for me.. I was lucky enough to see one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen on the last night. Parking is $15 or 22 for Valet per night.. Food very expensive.. But you get are fridge in your room. The Queen shops has an ABC store to stock up on water and other things you may need.. Not cheap here but a lot cheaper than the hotel. If you plan on buying alcohol do so BEFORE 10:59PM. We were at the register checking out and when the registers clock hits 11:00pm.. They CANNOT and will NOT sell it.. Even though you are checking out.. Not a huge problem but it meant I had to make another trip. Annoying but doable. Sorry for the ADHD ridden review..doing it in stages on my cell.. I will go back for sure.. Beautiful location. Plenty of things to do and spots to get away from the masses. Lots of kids but again its huge so you can get away from them.. Lol.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank rdmj1968
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent 4 nights in the lagoon tower a few weeks ago and had a fantastic stay. We had a Dolphin view room on a higher floor. We also had a good view of the ocean. A dolphin was born during our stay and we did the deluxe dolphin quest experience (well worth the premium price and the highlight of our 2 week multi-island vacation).

The room was clean and adequately serviced each day. Pools were nice (a little cool for me) and restaurants met our needs. While it's a large resort, we walked most places and didn't feel overwhelmed by its size.

The only negative comment/experience had to do with hundreds of birds congregating in the trees located on an island in the middle of the lagoon towers each night. The noise was deafening at times (10 pm, 1 am, 3 am each night) and woke us up even when we used ear plugs. They really need to bring sometime in to relocate the birds. We would stay at the resort again but not in the lagoon tower because of the noise. The birds were also loud at dusk by the lagoon tower but we didn't hear them when visiting the other towers at dusk one night.

Room Tip: Avoid the lagoon tower if you are a light sleeper (because of bird noise)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank John S
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We decided to have our honeymoon here. I was very impressed with the hotel. When we arrived we noticed the bathroom sink didn't drain and there were cigarette butts in the flower pot beside the room (We could smell the smoke from them still) We mentioned it to the front desk, an hr later it was all taken care of.

The food was GREAT and good portions but pretty expensive. For room service it costed $80 for 2 (and that was just breakfast). Everything you need is in the resort but I would recommend leaving the resort for a different experience.

Pros: Excellent costumer service, tram/boats to help you get around the resort. Everything you need is very close, and the employees really want you to have a great time and tell you where local hot spots are.

Cons: Very pricey, but hey youre on an island. Rooms dont have the best insulation. We stayed in the ocean tower and had the birds wake us up every morning around 530am. Daily self parking fee $15, beer about $8, blended drinks $12 (but they are oh so good lol) They charge you to rent kayak and snorkel gear. They do have a pass you can purchase for a DAILY FEE of $35 or $45, which makes some stuff 1/2 off or free parking but if you dont have kids... its really not worth it.

Overall great experience. I wouldn't change a thing if i had the chance!

Room Tip: Ocean tower is the way to go! Best view of the ocean and close to several pool bars!
1  Thank WhitnyRDH
Reviewed October 26, 2012

WE loved this hotel. Big spacious rooms. Matress so comfortable we want to buy one at home. Gorgeous views of the ocean. It took us half an hour to walk from end to end on the property. It has two pools as well as a lagoon with snorkling to see the turtles and fish that come in from the ocean, rent boats to paddle, or just lay in the sand. There is an art gallery of Asian art to stroll by and multiple shops and a spa. Dolphin pool is close and it's fun to watch them frolic. For a fee, you can "swim" with them, which really means stand in one place and get to touch and feed them. Still, exciting to be so close these to magnificent animals. One of our party had concerns about the small space they seem to be confined to, but the dolphins seemed happy.
We definitely plan on returning. All for a reasonable price for Waikoloa. I've stayed in rooms half the size for the same price in New York and Washington, DC.
Why almost? The food is outrageously expensive. It's good but not excellent. The food at the Japanese restaurant was particulalry overpriced and overcooked. Breakfast buffet had good variety for the cost.
However, there are multiple restaurants a mile away at varying prices so the cost of the food at the Hilton should not keep anyone from staying here.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a partial or full ocian view and a ":dolphin" view over the dol...
4  Thank Nancy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!