“Almost heaven in Hawaii”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

WE loved this hotel. Big spacious rooms. Matress so comfortable we want to buy one at home. Gorgeous views of the ocean. It took us half an hour to walk from end to end on the property. It has two pools as well as a lagoon with snorkling to see the turtles and fish that come in from the ocean, rent boats to paddle, or just lay in the sand. There is an art gallery of Asian art to stroll by and multiple shops and a spa. Dolphin pool is close and it's fun to watch them frolic. For a fee, you can "swim" with them, which really means stand in one place and get to touch and feed them. Still, exciting to be so close these to magnificent animals. One of our party had concerns about the small space they seem to be confined to, but the dolphins seemed happy.
We definitely plan on returning. All for a reasonable price for Waikoloa. I've stayed in rooms half the size for the same price in New York and Washington, DC.
Why almost? The food is outrageously expensive. It's good but not excellent. The food at the Japanese restaurant was particulalry overpriced and overcooked. Breakfast buffet had good variety for the cost.
However, there are multiple restaurants a mile away at varying prices so the cost of the food at the Hilton should not keep anyone from staying here.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a partial or full ocian view and a ":dolphin" view over the dol...
4  Thank Nancy B
Write a ReviewReviews (8,186)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I frequent several of the hawaiian islands on business. After many of these trips by myself, I realized that I could not enjoy paradise without my wife. So now when I travel to the islands on business I take my wife so that at the very least, evenings are special occassions.

Let me start by saying that I have 3 1/2 days of business and 3 1/2 days of pleasure planned on this trip. A sunday departure from DFW thru LAX to Kona. National rent a car (don't taxi unless you have to) and away we drove north to the KOHALA resort area. HIlton Waikola Village is the crown jewel in a series of resorts that stretch over the Kohala Beaches. Not only the largest in terms of rooms (3 towers and over 1200 rooms), but also the most scenic. Not that the other hotels in Waikola Village, Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea Resorts aren't nice, they simply aren't as big and don't have the attractions.

Once we arrived at the hotel and our room we made immediate tracks for The Kamulea Provision Company (KPC), a fine dining restuarant located just 10 feet from the beach. A New Chef calls it home and he has a more varied menu than in the past. Island Fish is our preference and it was top notch. Overall we found that the island prices were reasonable and there were more than enough options with sufficient quality in the resort and in the local shopping areas to satisfy our palette.

Overall the hotel is spread over 62 acres and is truly a multi-level wonder. Did I mention three towers (7 main buildings)? The towers are connected by a light rail train that runs end to end from 6AM to 12 PM. On the same level you can find the Canals that are traversed by boats that resemble Italian Launches. They run daily from 2PM to late and are a very romantic way to tour the resort. I recommend them the first night.

We stayed in the Lagoon Tower. This tower is newly renovated and the rooms now sport modern fixtures in the bathrooms with upgraded countertops and very good furniture in the rooms. Alot of their business is in meetings so they have normal office style desks for those that must work while in paradise. I found this to be a perfect combination of workspace and comfort and give Hilton high marks on this inclusion in their remodel. If this is a factor in your stay, request a Lagoon Room when you make your reservation.

Evenings were spent watching sunsets, then dining. Coffee and walsk aroudnthye resort. They have nightly entrtainment in the main building's lounge. Not just Island Sounds here. Real Music. Sports Bar. Great Drinks.

Mornings were more walks. Check in the jumping fish, the sea turtles and the Dolphins.....

Dolphin Quest: We were there when the newest of the THREE Dolphin pups was born on 10/17. Our room in the Lagoon Tower was situated such that we could watch the dolphins day and night. As a result much of our idle time was spent taking pictures of the three baby dolphins and wathcing them play There seems to be more availability to the Dolphin Quest Program than in years past. Kudos.

Although my marks for Hilton Waikolao Village are very high, they are the same for the big island. 9 of the 11 temperate zones on the planet exist on this massive island. The mere experience of waking up and seeing the volcanoes is 'centering'.

If you go ask the Concierge about the following:
Kohala Spa!!!!!!! Get a massage. Guys ask for ROY he was incredible.
Trips to the Observatories on Mauna Kea,
Trips to Volcano National Park
Helicopter tours of the Volcanoes and Island. I hear that they have added a new trip that also goes around Maui's volcano.
Waikola Luau - Top Notch, great food.
Dolphin Quest- get your picture taken with the Dolphins! What amazing creatures.

Take advantage of local Golf Courses (They are very easy to get on comnpared to other islands:
I recommend Mauna Kea - Home of Big Three Golf, Mauna Lani South - Senior Skins Game and the Waikola Beach Course. All of these course play out to the Ocean and the views are breath taking. Take your wife even if she does not play!

Soudn sliek I had a great BUSINESS TRIP!

Room Tip: Lagoon Tower is worth paying a premium for. Kings have the most usable room in them.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tejasgolfer828
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was so excited to stay here. I was visiting Big Island and the Waikoloa area 17 years ago, when we stumbled across the Waikoloa Village (back when it was a Hyatt).

When you first come to this resort, the first impressions are great. The lobby is impressive, with the trams, bridges to the many pools, lagoon, boat transport, etc, just as I remembered.

To get to the hotel buildings, you take the tram (with luggage), walk if you have the time and energy and it's not too hot, or the boat. So when we arrived at the Lagoon tower, you enter a very large, open-air atrium, where there are beautiful tall trees and plants. Quite beautiful. Unfortunately there was a large fountain there that had not been cleaned (and according to the comments from other visitors), it sounds like for quite number of months (if not years). Stagnant water sitting in a large fountain, that is not circulating smells...well, very unpleasant, and a downright health hazard (in the tropical humid heat).

The rooms are a reasonable size - not huge, and not tiny. There is enough room for a small round table and chairs, and wide enough to fit a dresser. The lanai is tiny - maybe 2-3' wide. Just large enough for a lawn chair. Our room overlooked the beautiful golf course.

All the rooms smell. As in mold. That was very surprising. Their solution is to come up and spray the air conditioning vent a few times. That's it. Now the smell actually is coming from the air conditioning vent - and I gather in a hot and humid place, turning the air conditioning on/off can result in condensation - but I've been to other hotels in Hawaii, and it doesn't have this problem. Their solution was completely ineffective. I don't believe they sprayed any disinfectant (so the mold keeps growing), just some air freshener. Which lasts only 10 minutes. The smells is very unpleasant (like being in someone's dirty basement). And if it weren't for the heat outside, the fresh air would have been preferred. The furnishings were very dated, the tv a relic (with fuzzy reception - worse than regular analog), but the bed was comfortable. A little too soft for my taste, but the bedding had quality crisp sheets.

The bathroom area is large - with the vanity quite spacious outside the toilet/bathtub room, and the walk-in closet is large. They had a refrigerator - that was within a dated cabinet, but poorly fitted so the door scraped the opening.

The toilet bathtub is a tiny claustrophic area. The minimum size room you could legally build. The type where you have to plaster yourself to the wall or toilet or bathtub in order to open and close the door. The enamel bathtub had long since had its luster scrubbed off, and just looked dingy - likely no matter how clean it was. The ceramic tiles were very dated, but at least they used the shower curtains that extend out into the room. THe water pressure was low - which makes washing long hair problematic.

Twice a day, before sunrise and sunset, the entire village is SCREECHING with birds. I'm not talking about twirps. I'm talking thousands of birds. Screeching. For about 30 minutes. Conversation within a room is difficult, as most rooms adjoin the atrium - which is where all the birds are - in the tree. Conversation in the atrium / hallway is impossible. On one hand, it's lovely to be seeing the birds, and having them make their home there, but on the other hand, the eco-sentiments evaporate amidst the bird screech. (Think Hitchcock The Birds). The hotel solution is that they will put in better rubber gaskets on the door. That will be a small help. I was told our hotel building is quieter than the other two, as their atriums are much larger, hence more birds, hence more noise. Unimaginable.

Now I understand why the atrium smells, and why the stagnant water pool smells. The smell is not coming from the water - but all the birds. So a note to travellers, don't walk through the atrium, walk along the side - under the covered section - and don't look up with your mouth open.

The pool area is spacious, and meandering with many size and depth of interconnected pools. There's a larger laguna area where people can snorkel, kayak, stand-up-peddle (SUP). There are water fountains, dolphins, etc.

You can see the common area on this property is very well maintained. But the rooms are a big let down. If you're someone that enjoys staying put in a resort, this is the place for you. Lots to entertain. If you use a hotel as a base, and explore off resort, then there are better options (including vacation rentals). All your money is going to the resort common area.

Parking is extra - $15 for self park, $25 for valet. So all in all, it could be amazing, which is what visitors would find, but people who stay at the resort get a rude awakening. Literally. I'm glad we stayed, but if we return, it will definitely be elsewhere, where we could have more comfortably stayed at a large condo for the same price.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the atrium (screaming birds). Lower rooms may be quieter - as the birds sit high on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank CeciliaTrip
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Hilton Waikoloa Village is a perfect retreat for anyone. The resort is totally self-contained with ample restaurants to give you variety. The sunset views from KPC were amazing! It was fun to see the dolphins at Dolphin Quest, including the three babies. Our room was comfortable and had a wonderful balcony with ocean and pool views. It was a very relaxing vacation.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just back from a conference at the Hilton Waikoloa. It's a beautiful piece of land, but I feel like they really missed when building the hotel. (It's my understanding that Hilton boought the property after it was constructed.) the rooms and the property are a littl edated, and it's not the easiest place to get from point A to point B. A horseshoe shape, and very large. Be prepared to walk. A lot. There is a train (tram), but it is VERY SLOW. Build time into your schedule. Also, just a personal observation: do you really have to close the onsite bars at 10:00 PM? People do like to party a little bit while on vacation (or business) in Hawaii.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Lagoon side are closer to the good pool, equal distance to main lobby, etc.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here and was able to snorkel in the bay right on the Hilton grounds. I felt like I was in an aquarium. Turtles and so many species of fish! Huge property. Water ways and many pools. Private Adult only pool if you desire a bit of quiet time. Dolphin viewing and if you have the $$$ ( $200 for 30 minutes ) you can swim with them.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This resort is huge and I think as we were there is lower season we felt like we were the only ones there. Apparently there are about 1200 rooms and there was the big triathlon on but there was so much room. We were upgraded due to my hilton honours status which was great but I felt a lot of the internal room decor was a bit dated. We spent very little time in the room and enjoyed the multiple pools, lagoon and beach a short walk from the Hilton (in front of the marriott). There is a adult only pool but we didn't use it as found that there were so many pool options that kids there just went for the pools with the slides and we went for the others. You can 'hire' cabanas but they are expensive at $50 per day. We felt that food in the resort was expensive for what it was so used the shops at the nearby Kings shops (10 min walk or shuttle bus) to stock up on water (98c for 1 ltr) and basics as there is an empty fridge in the room which was useful. Staff all very helpful and lovely to have all the sea life in the lagoons such as the sea turtles and dolphins right there.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower is the quieter end of the resort but the furthest from the lobby area - best for us
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!