“Beautiful (HUGE) property, wonderful vacation”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Yes, this resort is akin to a Disney vacation on the big island of Hawaii, but it was the perfect spot for our vacation to renew our vows. We were upgraded to a suite (which was huge!) in the Palace Tower. There was enough room for 2-3 families in just our suite, which also had 1 1/2 bathrooms. We were on the bottom floor, but we had two lanais that overlooked the front of the building where the tram and the boats ran to take people around the property. The room didn't get much use though as we were constantly out and about. The dolphin viewing pool was amazing, and we did the tot experience which was well worth the cost (I have a separate review for that experience). The lagoon was filled with sea turtles who were not afraid to swim very close to you as you snorkeled under the waterfall. Note that you are going to do a lot of walking even if you take the tram or the boat most places on this resort, and that's ok, this is Hawaii, just relax. Overall I'd bring our family back to this resort, we stayed two other locations on the Big Island during this trip, one was a house and the other was a condo in the Waikoloa area, and the Hilton blew the other two out of the water for location, amenities, and entertainment for our toddler.

Room Tip: The Palace Tower is the most central building, but you will have to take the tram to either of the l...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is my first review of the Hilton Waikoloa Village even though I have stayed there at least three prior times. Had this been my first visit, I'd have given a "Very Good" overall rating instead of "Excellent", but considering how much I've enjoyed this place in the past, I will go with my overall average of multiple stays.

From the time you go to check in, you see an expansive entry with both a walking path in both directions covered in fine art, as well as a monorail train, and a passenger boat all that leads to your rooms building. The rail runs every 7-10 minutes covering the entire length of the hotel. The boat might run a little less frequently, but not by much. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with flat screen TV's, high speed wired and wireless internet, electric safe and a balcony that has a small table and two chairs. There are several choices for your rooms view, and I prefer the Ocean Tower as opposed to the Garden or Lagoon. Still all are nice and seem to have the same dimensions/configuration.
The resort is self contained meaning you never need to leave for anything you might desire. Of course there are a ton of things to do on the Big Island, and one can't miss is the observatory on Maunu Kea nearby. It is considered the best in the world and you certainly get above the clouds at 14,000' but I digress.

The spa is top notch, the tennis courts are great along with a sunken stadium court with spectator seating. This is the first tournament that a young Andy Roddick won on the challenger circuit. They also have tennis racquet rentals along with group and private tennis lessons, but you need to play during the day because no light pollution is allowed due to the aforementioned observatory. There is a great pool of course, and also a saltwater lagoon where you can swim, snorkel, or ride on surface with a canoe. There are sea turtles swimming over at the waterfall, and you can get face to face with them. There is also a Dolphin Encounter in a separate lagoon where parents & kids can get up close in the water to pet the dolphins. This however is pricey, so you might want to steer the kids clear of Flipper & friends.

Like any high end inclusive resort, the prices overall are not cheap. There are a variety of restaurants in the resort including Japanese, Chinese, Italian, etc., as well as places for lunch.
I was a little disappointed with the Concierge this time around and made mention of it to the manager. Normally they have been top notch during my previous stays. I know several conventions were going on this time, but that is not going to cut it for regular customers staying and paying on their own dime. Hopefully my suggestion will be taken to heart, and the problem resolved during my next stay.

Needless to say, if I am willing to return once again, I think very highly of the resort.

4  Thank Vector123
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was there for a conference during the day and got to enjoy the hotel for the afternoons and night. Location is off the beaten path. We did not have a rental car so we were stuck on the resort which was not the worse thing as there were plenty of dining options. But plan on not leaving this place if you don't get a rental car.....taxis would be too expensive to explore the island.
1) rooms. Worse part of hotel. The rooms are motel style where the walkway to get to the hotel overlooks an open courtyard. Therefore the rooms need a dehumidifier as it is really humid and moist in there. Rooms are dated and need updating. Seems like you are outside and the Ac does not help the situation. Also birds wake up the hotel first thing in e morning as they gather in the trees in the courtyard
2) pools were nice.....huge areas and plenty of space and nice facilities
3) dining was good here. We ate at the Japanese restaurant which was great, awesome authentic Chinese food here (not a place for chicken fingers.....really like a place you would eat at in a Chinatown, also ate at the Mexican place which was pretty good too
4) dolphin quest, was highlight of trip, very expensive but a once in a lifetime place. Spent an hour in the water playing with multiple dolphins, very hands on with the friendly animals
5) property was huge, the tram definitely helps to get around
6) drinks were strong here-----pricey but strong

Pretty good place but rooms bring the experience down a bit

Room Tip: See if they have rooms that are not musty and humid, spoke to couple of guests who had same complain...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Josh K
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We appreciate this review of your recent stay here at Waikoloa. It’s important to us that our guests enjoy their time with us, and we are glad to see that almost everything met with your approval. As you noted, many of our rooms are open to the tropical climate on both the lanai/balcony side and the entryway. This design was intended to bring our guests closer to the year-round balmy weather that we experience at the resort, but the high humidity can lead to the issue that you experienced. We will address this with our room staff and maintenance. We are in the process of upgrading the rooms at our resort with more modern interiors and we hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you again for an improved experience. Mahalo and take care!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arrived late in the evening from L.A. & waited in line 35 mins. to check in. When we expressed our disappointment with the check in process, they said 2 flights landed around the same time. Apparently, they were aware of this early in the day, so why didn't they have more than 2 people at the arrival desk? We then were told that our room was in the Ocean Tower which was a 7 min. (no exaggeration!) walk from the front desk. Since there wasn't anyone around to help us at that late hour, we dragged our bags behind us all the way. But I forgot to mention, they do have a train which will take you from one end of the property to the other. Rather than wait for the train, we walked & walked & walked. There is also a boat which wasn't operational at that time (we wouldn't have taken it anyway). Upon finally arriving in our room (which did have a nice ocean view), we were extremely disappointed in how "tired & frayed" it was. We called the front desk & were told that they are slowly renovating the resort & haven't gotten to the Ocean Tower yet. We asked to move to something a bit more up to date. We were informed we could have a room in the Lagoon Tower which meant we had to go all the way back to the front desk (another 7 min. walk with the bags), get the key & walk to the Lagoon Tower which was much closer. The second room was a lot better than the first.

Problem for us was the second room overlooked the "lagoon" where the dolphins are. If you want to see something really sad, this is the view for you. Several dolphins & a newborn baby dolphin swimming in a "lagoon" that is way too small for them - around & around in circles. These are highly intelligent animals who deserve more dignity & respect than this. This isn't about educating the guests, it is purely for profit & a shameful one at that!

To add another point which is totally insignificant in light of my comments about the dolphins, we asked the concierge for directions to Costco. She got us into the vicinity of the store but forgot two key streets which were vital to finding it. Our phones weren't much help. After driving around for 20 mins., we finally got there. Upon returning to the hotel, I mentioned this to her & she said "oops - I forgot about those streets!". Huh? Isn't that her job?

Finally, we travel all over the world & have never seen an Italian restaurant that sold pizza for $21.00 up - there is even one for close to $50.00 at this resort! Not a huge pizza - 16". The Italians in Italy would be horrified. However, there is a Macaroni Grill in a shopping center very close by which is a much better alternative. Go there. As a matter of fact, go anywhere but the Hilton Waikoloa!!

Room Tip: Don't go - however, if you are heading there for a conference, ask for a renovated room.
2  Thank RSFLucy

Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is always our top goal and we are sorry to hear we fell short with your stay. The issues you experienced starting with the late check-in, the room you initially received, the staff assistance with directions and the pizza will be looked into and addressed.

All of the dolphins at Dolphin Quest are well-loved and well-cared for, and they thrive in their ocean water lagoon. Almost all were born here at Dolphin Quest, and lovingly raised from day one in a relationship of mutual trust and respect. They live long, physically and mentally active lives. The dolphins and their human caretakers are a close-knit family in every way. Our voluntary interactive programs are memorable experiences of mutual discovery that inspire tens of thousands of people each year to care for dolphins and our ocean environment. Dolphin Quest also proudly contributes significant financial and in-kind support to vital marine education, conservation and research efforts.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a difficult property to rate because on a service level it doesn't even deserve one star, but for aesthetics it deserves a 5. I'm grudgingly giving it a 3 for reasons detailed below.

The grounds of this resort are beautiful, but the horrible attitude of the staff spoils your chances of enjoying the place. We chose this property for our first 2 nights in Hawaii since we thought we might need time to get over our jet lag coming from the east coast. We ended up spending our 1 full day there dealing with incompetent, rude staff instead of enjoying ourselves and relaxing.

Our stay started off on a very negative note with the check-in experience. The lobby was full and the desk clerks seemed totally unconcerned with actually helping people check in. Ivy, the rude man at the HHonors desk who we horribly inconvenienced by wanting to check in made us feel about as welcome as the plague! When he asked which of the two rooms we reserved we would like to stay in, the Queen room or the king, we were shocked, as we had multiple confirmation emails saying we would be in 2 king rooms. He just looked right through us like we weren't even there, not saying anything. So we asked him if he could change the queen back to a king and he sighed and said, "Maybe but it's going to take a while" then walked off and disappeared into a back room. More than 15 minutes later he finally reappeared and said that we had been upgraded to the queen room at our own request. I assured him that the only upgrade we requested was for an ocean view KING room. He sighed again and said that we were upgraded to the "premier" tower, the Lagoon tower and there was nothing he could do about it and that will be an additional $25 a night. At which point I came very close to losing my cool as I asked him why I would pay $25 more per night for a Queen room when I had booked a King. His response was again, because we put you in the Lagoon tower. Since at this point we had been on property for an hour and still didn't even have room keys, we finally told him to just check us in to the Queen room. Never once did he say anything like he would try to help us, have a nice day, thank you, or anything civil at all.

Since we had 6 bags with us, we left them with the valet service as we had been informed that it is a long walk or tram ride to the building we were staying in. We aren't sure when the bags were finally delivered to our room because we gave up waiting after half an hour and decided to go explore the property and find some place to eat dinner. When we returned from dinner our bags were in our room.

Dinner was a bright point in our stay. We ate at Imari and the staff there were absolutely wonderful. They clearly have something different going on in their training and daily work lives than the front desk staff as they couldn't be more different. The food was delicious! We had the special which was Monchong in a wasabi butter sauce. The manager stopped by to chat and opened up the wall panels in front of our table so we could catch the evening breeze and watch the sunset. We thoroughly enjoyed everything about Imari!

The next day we asked for our rental car to be brought around and when it arrived the valet pointed out a long scratch from along the right side. We weren't sure what to do since we've never had anything like that happen. We ended up spending the entire morning dealing with hotel security, the rental company and our insurance getting reports and a claim filed. The valet service informed us that they are not responsible for any loss or damage that takes place and pointed out that the valet ticket clearly states that. They did promise they would conduct an investigation and interview the valets. If they change their decision I will update this review to reflect that. At this time it appears we will have to have our insurance cover the damage and we will be stuck with paying a $250 deductible. Shame on you Hilton!

After dealing with the car headache we attempted to pick up our tickets for the evening luau. We had ordered them more than a month prior and paid for them in full, through the Hilton. We had an email from the Hilton stating that our tickets were confirmed, paid in full and could be picked up at the Discovering Hawaii Tours and Activity Desk in the Lagoon Tower. When we arrived at the desk a man and woman were helping other guests. The man was telling his life story to a guest and while we waited we heard all about his five children. After about 10 minutes the woman was free and started to assist me. She apologized for having difficulty with our tickets because she was having computer problems. After fussing with it for about another 10 minutes the man finally finished talking about her kids and she asked him if he could print the tickets. He pulled the info up and asked who we booked them with. I gave the man's name who I had talked to and he said, oh Brandon is in Maui. You'll have to talk to him. I explained that I called the number on the confirmation number from Hilton to book the tickets and tried to show him the confirmation email from Hilton. He refused to look at it and kept saying you need to talk to Brandon on Maui. That's when I reached my limit and told him we are not going to Maui, we are not on Maui, we want our tickets now. The lady, Jeanette I believe her name was, stepped back in at that point and said she would take care of it. She said she saw our tickets in their system and that they were paid for, she just needed to find a way to print them and told us to go enjoy ourselves at the pool and she would call us on cell phone when the tickets were ready. In all, we had wasted another 45 minutes of our 1 day at the resort on that nonsense. The lady was true to her word and did eventually bring the tickets to us at the pool, which we finally reached at 1:30 PM.

Our stay significantly improved at that point. We had a nice lunch lounging by the pool followed by great snorkeling with 7 or 8 awesome sea turtles in the Lagoon. The luau that night was very entertaining.

We had originally booked our final night on the island back at the Hiltoon, but cancelled it and changed to the Marriott. Best decision we could have made! I would highly recommend anyone wanting to stay in the Waikoloa area visit the Marriott over the Hilton any day!

Room Tip: Pick a room at the Marriott - you will be much happier!
1  Thank CGXterra

First of all, thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at our resort. We work hard to ensure every guest is well-cared for and treated like we would want to be on a vacation. Obviously, some of the experiences like the check-in process, valet parking service and retrieval of your luau tickets you mention fell well short of that mark. We are addressing these issues and would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that we pride ourselves in offering. Thank you for mentioning the positive aspects of your stay including the dinner at Imari, lunch by the pool, snorkeling with the turtles and the actual luau event. Once again, thank you for your review. We will focus on the areas that need attention so that we may serve you better, if the opportunity comes again.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our second visit to Hilton Waikoloa (last was 9/2011). The hotel is on the Kohala coast of the Big Island, which only gets about 6" of rain each year. If you're looking for an uber-sunny vacation, this is it. The down side is the area is very dry once you leave the resort.The other side (eastern) of the island is lush, like you'd expect. BTW, the Ironman cycling leg goes by the Waikoloa area, lots of athletes in training this time of year.

The property is huge - which makes it a perfect place for getting away from it all. If you're looking for a place with a quick exit (e.g., a normal hotel), this isn't it. It's a good quarter mile from the towers to the lobby and there is only the one exit to the parking lot. (There is a tram and a boat ferry if the walk is too much for you. We found that walking was just as fast as the tram.) The upside is that there's lots of relaxing activities. In addition to the pools and lagoon, there is a nearby bay (Anaehoomalu Bay, aka A Bay for those who are challenged by Hawaiian pronunciation) where you can snorkel, kayak, paddleboard, catamaran, glass bottom boat and generally hang out with shaved ice. The pools include a large, more grownup pool and a kids/family pool, both with slides.

In addition to activities on property, there are concierge stations throughout the hotel, where you can book activities all over the island, including helicopter tours of Kilauea, ziplining over waterfalls, snorkeling cruises to Kealakekua Bay, night time manta and daytime dolphin snorkels etc. Lots of hikes nearby too - several waterfalls (Akaka, Umauma) and, of course, Kilauea. Each of these are at least a 30 min drive, so you'll definitely need a rental car. There is a luau on site every Tues, Fri & Sun night. The concierge can set you up with tickets.

There are a couple of nearby shopping areas - Kings Shops and Queens Marketplace. You can buy souvenirs, groceries, coffee (Starbucks!) and all kinds of practical things like bathing suits, bike rentals and sunblock. Kona also has some decent shopping.

The hotel rooms are generally quiet (see note below for the only exception we had) and equipped with great beds. There is a small fride in the room and lots of closet/storage for your things. No matter which way you face, you get a lovely view (we've faced the golf course and the lagoon from the Palace tower). As a full service resort, the property has a nice fitness center and spa, plus lots of shops and restaurants on prem. We're not your normal tourist - we don't go in for lots of fine dining - so I can't comment on the restaurants except to say that other guests thought they were great.

As you can tell, we love the property but we had an unfortunate experience this time. The resort has a large conference center, so there are always people attending a workation. This time, a company called Paychex was there for a sales recognition event. They were loud, partying hard and generally disrespectful, shouting back and forth between balconies and taking over the pools. Alcohol seemed to be the problem -every day there were Paychex employees bringing in cases of beer, leaving bottles, cans and cups of alcohol everywhere (trashcan much? If they'd been my employees, I'dve been appalled) everywhere and loud conversations in the hall/on the balconies late at night. In short, these folks flew a long way to disrespect the nature of the resort and other guests. To give you a sense of this issue, when I asked a Paychex employee what the purpose of the conference (making polite conversation in an elevator) was, he replied, "Drinking." He was only slightly joking apparently. If this had been our first visit to this property, we wouldn't be going back. However, to management's credit, they acknowledged the problem and appeared to have taken some action about the noise, so points for that. This is not the norm but it was significant enough for us to deduct points (I gave them a 4/very good instead of a 5/Excellent). I can only hope management doesn't allow Paychex back.

Aside from that, I highly recommend Hilton Waikoloa. Great place to get away from it all!

Room Tip: Rooms facing golf course are quietest and darkest at night. Other rooms are good too but just a litt...
3  Thank Caryn M

We sincerely appreciate your review of our resort and the many positive aspects of your stay. These are a few of the many reasons why a high percentage of our guests return to Hilton Waikoloa Village. We are disappointed to hear that part of your visit included an unfortunate experience with one of the conference events going on at that time. As you noted, we were actively working to resolve some of the challenges with noise and security while you were here. We take the safety and comfort of each of our guests very seriously and will address this issue with the appropriate departments of the hotel for the future. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to a more peaceful visit in the future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We found it pleasant, but weird. Liked it but didn't love it. It's just waaaayyyyy to fake for us.
Family of 4 from Australia, including 2 teen boys visited in early October 2012 for 6 days. Our intention was to experience the volcanic nature of the Big Island. We certainly saw that when we took the 25 min drive from Kona Airport.
The Hilton Waikoloa promised giant pools and slides, great restaurants and a fully self contained experience. It was all that, but it had some weird twists.

As expected the property is huge and guests are transported from one side to another via the tram or boat. We were unimpressed with the irregular boat times. My sons were unimpressed that the boats weren't really navigated on the canals, but automatically followed underwater tracks. Very Disney and kinda fake. The canals were beautifully landscaped, but looked filthy. Yucky and slimy, and weedy. It wasn't pleasant looking into them to see fish.

The Tram: was much more regular and we never really had much problem waiting for it. Note to the Hilton: the prerecorded information about the Hilton, and Big Island history was so irritating and annoying after the 76th time you hear it. My 12 year old could repeat it word for word by the end. Nothing would be better. After a while I just wished the auto lady would just shutup.

Style: The style of the Hilton is very ambiguous. If you're looking for Hawaiian decor and style, this one isn't for you. We thought it very weird that it was decorated in a supersized asian style, with giant carved elephants, indian sort of statues, massive chinese urns, everything huge, everything supersized....which I guess is very American. It was just unnecessary and weird. through the Museum Walkway I would have expected wonderful Hawaiian or at least South Pacific objects, even if they were replicas. So I was kind of confused to see Papua New Guinea masks, Thai objects, Japanese things, Chinese object d'art....it was just ...well...not Hawaiian.
To us it seemed that if the object was giant - it got a spot at the Hilton. Nowhere was there any volcano stuff, or Big Island stuff, or even Island stuff. Throughout the landscape there are giant elephants, a bronze rhinosceros!!, really weird.

The three towers: seemed to us to be classified like this: Lagoon tower - most popular, busy, kids, and close to everything. Also booked out. The Palace tower seemed to be mostly Asian guests (like a secret society). The Ocean tower, which we were in was huge, but quieter (if you can say that) and further away. It suited us. We were on the 4th floor, despite asking for a high floor. But even then it was really only 4 stories up, 2 of their floors are underground....so rather a misnomer. There are only 6 floors. Ocean 'tower' is another misnomer. Having said that, the Ocean tower, we thought, was the best.

The rooms: we had a Ocean Suite. it was very nice. It had two little verandas with tables and chairs. Airconditioning worked fine, though was hard to lower past 70 degrees. The rooms were pleasantly furnished, and nicely clean. The view out the windows from 4097 was lovely, sort of over the palm trees and pool to the ocean. Nice sunsets. They were spacious and well appointed with safe, fridge, and the most lovely complimentary toiletries. We have a problem with the Indian Minor birds that have plagued many other Trip Advisors. I DID notice many of the larger trees had been viciously pruned, perhaps to move the minor birds on??

Coffee/tea facilities: I wish American hotels would realise you can't make a cup of tea with water from a coffee machine. OK so it's coffee heaven here (near Kona), but millions of people drink tea. You have to have boiling water for tea. If it drains through the empty coffee maker it still tastes of coffee. Have you not heard of kettles? My other small problem was the tea bags,...there's pineapple tea, passionfruit tea, mango and god-knows-what tea, but no plain tea. Black tea, breakfast tea,...just TEA! I kept leaving $5 tip & a note for the housemaid to leave me some tea, and she'd leave ONE teabag. So irritating. Typically American not to appreciate that half the world prefers tea to coffee.

Sleep: The measure of any hotel is the sleep you get. Our beds were weird too. Again, they were huge, but I would have traded size for quality. The main bed was king sized but so high (the mattress was waist height - as I'm only 5'2") I couldn't sit on it easily. Whats the point of super high bed? It was also hard. The pillows, which were feather, were not nearly as comfortable as those we'd just experienced at the outrigger reef on the beach in Honolulu. I slept ok, but only ok.
My biggest son took the sofa bed, again it was huge! but the Hilton only gave one pillow. I had to ring twice for the other one.
My youngest son took a rollaway - huge complaint - the poor thing never said a word, until I sat on it on the last night and felt the springs and bumps and lumps in it. Not little lumps, massive sharp ones. He's such a good kid and didn't want to complain - I wish he had. It was hideous. It's discusting that a huge hotel like that has such pitiful excuses for beds. I wish I'd known.

Housekeeping: I left a small tip every day, as I think I was expected to. I also asked for some regular tea. I would have thought that asking once was enough, I got one teabag. (so generous!) I had to ask every day, sometimes got it, sometimes not, but they always took the money. The housekeeping cleanliness was good, but the service...re tea....was hopeless.

Breakfasts: Breakfast is in the massive curved room overlooking the lagoon. We had vouchers for us parents and had to pay for the kids (15 and 12). There was always confusion over this. I have no idea why. There was also confusion over if the 15 yo was adult or not (more expensive for adult breakfasts). Servers also seemed not to know what to do when we asked for takeaway breakfast (to take with us next day as we were leaving early for volcano trip). I think staff are not trained to 'go outside the square', and don't know what to do with requests, even when they're reasonable and easy.
Having said that, breakfast was pleasant. Lots of choices. Disappointed that no pancakes, you had to ask someone to cook them...I couldn't find anyone, everywhere else in the state of Hawaii has pancakes for breakfast, why not the Hilton? However, they had nice french toast, hot choices, cereals, fruits, etc. Again, servers shocked when I asked for tea. (!!) Breakfast cost $9.95 for each kid.

Restaurants: are very American...which shouldn't be a surprise, but I thought they might adopt a more south pacific style. Either REALLY expensive (KPC, Japanese, Chinese) or kind of Takeout style...pizza, hamburgers, fish and chips. There's nothing in between.
We tried KPC - had signature lobster. Steamed. It was plain & tough. I've tasted a lot better which is a shame, it's not hard to cook nice lobster,,especially if local.
We tried the pizza place, everyone liked it, very nice, but quite pricy too for takeout kind of food.
We tried the Cantina (Boat Landing) - the Guacamole at the table was wonderful. The other mexican menu items were very ordinary.
We tried the Lagoon Grill - it was pleasant enough for hamburger type food.
We tried the Chinese, becasue by this time we're all dying to eat some vegetables...they don't seem to do vegetables in the USA! (even at KPC you had to order it on the side!) Thank goodness the Chinese veges were nice. But very very expensive, and had to choose carefully out of a menu of very odd food items.
Overall, it was hard to find food to suit adults and children, that wasn't too expensive, that wasn't just takeout style, that included something green!!

The Paychex guests: Don't start me. During our stay there was a HUGE contingent of the Paychex company employees, a conference I beleive. 800 of them. Yes....800. They were men and women, 25 - 35 years old, and the large majority of them acted like they were entitled to take over the world. There was a LOT of testosterone happening, and high heels, mini skirts and bling like you wouldn't believe. Boobs, bums and muscles in the pool was just laughable. Boisterous, noisy, pushy, arrogant and superior. They took over the bars and pools, parked themselves and drank...and drank....and drank. It was awful.

I have a huge complaint I hope Hilton takes note of. One large rowdy group of Paychex people were in the main pool near the waterfall. Our family had parked ourselves there for a lovely morning of fun with our kids. The people had brought a big music boom-box with them, and their own music was blaring out over the entire pool. It was soo loud it took me a while to realise it didn't belong to the Hilton. I put up with the horrible music for 2 hours, but when the rapper started to seriously swear...the f- word over and over.... I had enough. Lots of people left the pool. My kids aren't allowed to swear and I don't want them listening to it. I went to complain to the pool attendants. Why hadn't they stopped it earlier I wondered?? They went to tell the group to turn it down, which they did, momentarily. They changed the music so it wasn't so obscene, but it was just as loud, just as intrusive and dozens of guests were leaving the main pool because of it. I can't understand how the staff didn't care, or take control. 'Cut the music' would have been the solution. It spoilt our day at the pool, we had to leave too. Hilton should care more about their paying guests,a nd less about the drunkards spoiling the Hilton's reputation.
We had trouble getting drinks at bars, as being Australian, we are not pushy or arrogant. Seems only pushy arrogant people managed to get drinks quickly.

The Pools: were nice but nowhere near what I've experienced in other South Pacific destinations like Fiji, Vanuatu. The landscaping was nice, but not shady or relaxing. There are cabanas to rent, but few umbrellas, and the odd fake landscaped 'mountains' prevent air circulating so it gets very hot. The big pool is very busy, very hot, and very concrete. A lovely big pool though, with interesting caves and waterfall for kids to play in. We didn't see a single bar employee serving drinks to pool side though. Why??? All other resorts I've been to have poolside bar staff, offering drinks to people of beach chairs...which is lovely. Hilton would make a motza out of it, yet no staff patrolled the pool and no drinks were forthcoming. the other pools were smaller and not interesting (say my kids).

The Lagoon pool, is kind of a beach. with a natural bottom, into which the ocean & native fish etc flow. We snorkelled there and saw fish and plenty of turtles which was a real thrill. It's very ostentatious ....again typically American, they can't leave lovely nature alone, and have to add a fake waterfall and the huge portico of the breakfast rooms and massive massive columns of the grand staircase front the lagoon on the opposite side....kind of mismatched nature v pretentiousness. It's like they didn't think nature was good enough, better add something giant.
Again, would have been so much better for some waiters and waitresses serving lagoonside drinks and snacks. Can't understand why not.
You can hire gear to play with, boats, boards, paddle boards etc. Lucky we had a half price Aloha card, it was pretty pricy without!

This property is 3 hours from the Volcanoes National Park. Not convenient for a day trip, but we did it easily by leaving at 6am (with our takeaway breakfasts).
We booked our Alamo hire car online from home, (Hilton front desk did not know the National Care rental shop also did Alamo, which caused quite a bit of confusion for a while).
the Valets are wonderful, and were really helpful.

Hilton pros: Self contained (if you like that sort of thing), nice rooms, very big (if you like that sort of thing...) ummmm......

Cons: well, it was just too fake for us. Was weird that one of the most beautiful places on earth was decorated in ostentatious fakery, with canals, african cranes (birds) on islands, asian artifacts, bronze rhinos?!, etc. Not eclectic...too weird to be eclectic, as no theme.
Not Hawaiian.
Pool unserviced.
Giant groups of paychex people being arrogant.
Too isolated from the rest of the island.
No beach.

For those who have thought it was the best thing they'd ever seen, I'm glad, but obviously they've never been to Fiji, or Australia's Barrier Reef, or any other tropical resort for that matter. The Volcanoes made our trip for us, without the visit to the National Park we would have been disappointed in the Big Island.

Room Tip: Ocean tower is quieter, nice views from 'Ocean rooms' over the resort and toward the ocean...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank jenny2222

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay at our resort. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay, especially those that affected your children. Our goal is always to provide the best stay possible for all guests from service to experience in common areas and we regret that we fell short. We appreciated your feedback as it gives us great direction as to how we can improve in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!