“Relaxing and Quiet”

Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Hawaii
“Relaxing and Quiet”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The Ashton Shores at Waikoloa was Awesome! There was a box of Macadamia nut candy and a bottle of wine (very classy) waiting for us as we walked in. We had the 1 bedroom 1 1/2 bathroom. The 1 Bedroom that we had which was #307 at the Sandal Wood was great. The bed in the room was comfortable, it felt like I was sleeping on my own bed at home. The bathroom shower was huge, I loved it alot and wished my own shower was that big. The living room was very comfortable, just like home and there was a fold out bed in the living room couch. The Kitchen was Awesome... We cooked breakfast in the kitchen and had the following which made cooking easy...Rice Cooker, Utensils, Pots and Pans for cooking, Plates, Microwave Oven/Conventional heating, Stove/Oven, Refrigerator/Freezer, Washer/Dryer. There was a 4- person dining table just right for the three (3) of us. A gated community, very secure and I felt safe. The swiming pool and hot tub was great the water was heated, very nice! The pool is not very big, but there wasn't a whole lot of people there and that was good. Ashton Shores at Waikoloa Thank You!!!

There is a place called Buzz's if you need a place to eat and relax with a few drinks which is right outside of the gate and just a short distance down the road is the Queens Market where you will find Starbuck's, a food court with Subway, Dairy Queen/Orange Julius, Paradise Pizza & Grill this place gave Excellent Service and I enjoyed the food there especially the Banana Fritter, they have all kinds of foods to choose from Hawaiian plate w/ Laulau, chicken long rice, Lomi Salmon and Kalua Pig with Rice, they also had pizza, tacos, nachos, Hamburgers, Seafood plates something for everyone. Thank you Paradise Pizza & Grill!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Azure2000, Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Aloha from the Big Island,
By now we hope you are home safe and sound with visions of your Hawaiian vacation lulling you to sleep at night. It was a pleasure having you with us and we sincerely appreciate wonderful comments from our guests. Thank you very much for the kind review.
We are proud of our property and most especially of our staff; our ‘ohana’ and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
When your future travel plans include another visit to the Big Island, we hope you will call us and become part of our ‘ohana’ as well. You have my commitment to do everything we can to take the best possible care of you and your family or friends. Our staff is very proud of their work and commitment to The Shores at Waikoloa and we will give no less than 100% commitment to you as well.

Mahalo & Aloha,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Aston Shores at Waikoloa from Jan 14-Jan 22. We stayed on the third floor in an updated one bedroom condo. It was very clean and spacious with all the amenities. We had everything we needed and really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Azure2000, Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
Aloha,

Thank you very much for posting on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all the wonderful words that are being said about our property as we have been working diligently on the unit renovations.

I hope that you will be able to return to Hawaii in the near future. Please contact me directly when you are ready to make return plans and I will be happy to assist you.

Mahalo,
jenny.belanio@astonhotels.com
tel: (808)886-5001
MS
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed in room 206 between Dec 12 and 19th, 2009. Danette at the front desk was very helpful in getting us a great room with a nice view where we could look to the right from the lanai and watch the sun come up over the mountain. The room itself was very pretty and comfortable. I spent most of my time while at the room on the lanai enjoying the breeze and birds and watching the palm leaves sway. This is a good place for a couple or adult family that want to be away from the hustle and bustle of busy life but be right across the street from nice shopping and beautiful scenery.

There's a really good golf course right on the premises that I think everyone who golfs will enjoy.

I wouldn't recommend this place for a family with active children who need something to do all the time.

Note: All One bedroom units are in the towers facing a parking lot. Mind you, the parking lots are actually very pretty but get a two bedroom if you want a mountain/golf course view.... OR.. talk to Danette to see if there's a two bedroom available that can be changed to a one bedroom for you like she was able to do for us. She's a really nice lady.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Azure2000, Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Aloha,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review about Aston Shores at Waikoloa. We appreciate all the great words that our guests pass along to other possible future guests.

I am very happy we have succeeded in giving you the trip you quite possibly dreamed of. Not a lot of people can say that they watched the sun rise over Mauna Kea mountain from their lanai. I am even more proud of Danette for being able to make your stay a memorable one. Thank you for raving about her...We love when it happens! She will blush. I am sure of it :)

When you are ready to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or Danette directly at (808)886-5001 or email jenny.belanio@astonhotels.com. We look forward to hosting you again!

Mahalo,
Washington
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our stay at the Waikoloa was great. We had a two bedroom condo on the third floor in the Tamarind Tower. It was more than enough room for our family of 5. It was so quiet and peaceful; most of the time my kids had the pool to themselves. The swimming pool is smaller than what you would find at other resorts, but we still had fun. It was nice to be able to cook in the room and also use the gas grill. There are gas grills all over the property and we were lucky enough to have one almost in front of our building. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MKL61
Azure2000, Front Office Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Aloha,

I know exactly which room you are talking about! :) I'm very happy that you & your family have enjoyed your visit at Aston Shores at Waikoloa. I have a large family myself & it is very relaxing to be able to watch everyone enjoy the pool with a bird's eye view.

When you are ready to return to paradise I would happy to assist in making your return a a special one. Please feel free to contact me directly at jenny.belanio@astonhotels.com.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2009

After having had very mixed experiences on my Hawaii trip, I was absolutely thrilled with Unit 231 in the Bo Tree Tower at the Shores. This one-bedroom unit was enormous and was beautifully decorated with a tasteful island theme and up-to-date furniture, rugs, bedspread, etc. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge! The shower stall alone is probably about as big as my entire bathroom at home. The lanai was probably about 10'x10' and was a nice place to enjoy breakfast. All of the appliances looked new, and worked well, including the washer/dryer.

Having driven there directly after an active day at Volcanoes National Park, I was pretty exhausted by the time I got to Waikoloa and actually missed the entrance to the community from the main highway, so I had to call for directions and backtrack. The staff member who answered the phone was very helpful and friendly, which was my experience at check in and check out, too.

I'm not much of a resort person, so I didn't check out the pool or available golf, though the staff member gave me a quick run down of everything and offered to help out with arrangements, extra pool towels, etc. As other posters have mentioned, there's a large shopping area at Waikoloa, including restaurants. There's also a supermarket that's owned by the ABC company that has those 'everything' shops all over Hawaii -- it was a handy place to get food to stock the fridge, though it seems to be more geared to providing "mainland" food (i.e. strawberries at $6/pound, and didn't carry local variety of bananas).

I was unhappy to see a $9.95/day fee for internet after having gotten wifi free at most of my previous stops at lesser accommodations, but the charge didn't show on my bill.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Shores and would return if I was making another trip to Kona.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay with us. I'll be sure to let the owner know that you enjoyed their newly done upgrades. It is also true that very few Waikoloa accomodations have lanais as large as ours...I'm sure you could fit your bed on there as well if you wanted to.

Should you have another opportunity to come and visit us again, please feel free to contact me at jenny.belanio@astonhotels.com.
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed September 13, 2009

First, let me just say that we were incredibly, pleasantly surprised by the condo we booked blindly -- the full kitchen with every appliance you could need, including a blender, not just one, but two flat-screen TVs -- a huge one in the living room, and a good-sized one in the master bedroom -- bathrooms worthy of HGTV and a washer and dryer.

My husband and I arrived on the Big Island while it was still light, but checked in at 8:30 -- a half hour before the office at Aston Shores at Waikoloa closed! We also had a bit of a hard time getting there, since that late at night, there was hardly any lights. Also, the entrance to the condo complex is difficult to find at night -- it literally is just gates to a complex and you have to use the speakers to get buzzed in. But check out was FAST -- we were the last check in of the day, and I think because the girl at the front desk wanted to go home, she got us in and out within five minutes.

We walked into the condo and were surprised first by the full kitchen -- all matching, stainless-steel GE appliances, including a full-size refrigerator, washer and dryer, microwave, oven and cooktop -- plus a pantry full of dishes, utensils, a toaster, blender, teapot and standard hotel coffee maker. The first bedroom we saw had two twin beds and at first I thought that was the only bedroom. I thought we might have to trade condos! But my husband walked further into the condo and discovered the master bedroom and the massive master bathroom. I didn't even get a chance to take pictures of the swanky master bedroom because I wanted to get settled into it right away.

The unit has a massive lanai. It also has ceiling fans in the living room and master bedroom, which came in handy.

The one drawback of the complex was that there were no restaurants on the property nor room service, but there are plenty of shopping and eating options at Kings Shops and Queen's Marketplace right down the street.

My husband and I are expecting our first baby -- this was sort of our babymoon -- so if it so happens we return to the Big Island, we'll definitely book at Shores at Waikoloa again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Great pictures! This is unit 122 in the Banyan Tower. Have stayed in this room myself with family and does feel as big as my home :) So far everyone has appreciated the upgrades in this room, but it's even more exciting when you can show it with pictures!

When you are ready to return, please do not hesitate to contact me at jenny.belanio@astonhotels.com.
Varese, Italy
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Good place to stay in Kona - I had one bedroom apartment with good air conditioning (you need it on the big island) - fully equipped kitchen - washing machine and dryer - you really don't need anything else - the swimming pool is very small but the Big Island offers so much to see and to do that I was not willing to spend time in the swimming pool.
The staff at the reception was very helpful and very kind.
The condo is located in Waikoloa - one of the upscale resorts area on the island.
There you find shopping malls, restaurants and a supermarket just a few minutes walk from Aston Shores
Don't miss The Hawaii Volcano National Park, from Waikoloa it's about two hours and half drive each way also don't miss Pu'unonua o Honaunau National Historical Park http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm I have enjoyed and felt the magic of that place that makes me wish to go back again..last but not least spend a few hours on the black sand beach.. I was lucky and I saw on the beach two big turtles

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Aston Kona by the Sea
Aston Kona by the Sea
#3 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!