“Comfy 'home' for 2 weeks.”

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed almost 2 weeks at this particular condo, in unit 2. Although VERY outdated, o.l.d. cabinetry that my kids said 'smelled' and gold fixtures, carpentry that wasn't fitted well and kind of peeling up in many spots, AND many mismatched and ancient appliances (rice cooker/crockpot) and underwhelming kitchen accessories, the place was a nice home to come to every night. The only UPDATED thing appears to be the stove/fridge-- LOVED the stove unit that boiled water SUPER fast and the amazing fridge/freezer! With 6 people (2 families total), the 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and spacious living quarters suited us VERY well.
The pool was functional, shaded and centrally located. Nothing to write home about though.
The lawns and ponds were continually maintained and workers were always floating around all day.
Loved having a Weber BBQ and lawn chairs and chaises to enjoy the ocean/golf course view every morning and night.
We did get to enjoy multiples geckos in our room on multiple occasions...ewww. And the ants in our room, not really the highlight. But whatcha gonna do in the tropics?
Was within walking distance to the shops about 15 minutes away, and 5-10 minute walk to the Hilton where we enjoyed the lagoon (turtles, eels, fish) on MANY occasions.
DO CHECK OUT Hapuna Beach, just 10 minutes away...nice, sandy, beachy beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank the_proms
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Aloha the-proms,

Thank you for the business and review - although I am not sure if you stayed in one of Aston's units because "Unit #2 (is that a villa?)" does not hit me as being in our program.

Waikoloa is the greatest place in Hawaii even though climate change has affected our once perfect weather. There is more to do and see here than on all the other Islands combined and two activities in particular you cannot do anywhere else. The telescopes on the summit of Mauna Kea and the active volcano seperate us from everywhere else.

When I arrived here on The Big Island 24 years ago I bought a new leather golf bag and like a dummy an umbrella. Have not used it once here in all those years.

Even though I believe the unit you stayed in was not an Aston product (there are other rental management companies operating on property) every owner has struggled wit the economy and being able to upgrade their asset.

We hope you'll visit again and recommend The Big Island to everyone looking to come to Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a very comfortable condo complex that offers a very safe comfortable feeling. A gated community with a pool, multiple BBQ's, tennis, easy and discounted golf. The room we had was clean with all the cooking utensils and dining basic kitchen needs. The room and interior was dated and the fridge was very noisy in need of a serious update but overall a very comfortable place to stay. The amenities such as movies and PS3 games were there but we did not take advantage of them as we were to busy touring the island and leaving souvenir golf balls for others to find. Our MAJOR complaint was zero blinds on the massive window that faced East and the gold course. In the morning it was hard to see and watching TV would of been impossible if we wanted to and at night walking around you were clearly visible from the tennis court, BBQ area, road and golf course. Late check in was seamless and in the morning the desk staff was excellent. I would not hesitate to go back to this complex except I would not want room 217 back as it has no blinds.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Aloha Nola R,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review.

We'll have blinds up in #217 in the very near future! Really sorry about that.

We appreciate that you will recommend us and hope you return.

Warmest Alohas,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Although some of the units are a little dated that didn't really matter to us. Our unit was very well maintained. The grounds keepers are superb, they are there all day! The location is fantastic, you can walk almost anywhere. It was quiet, had outdoor grills, patios you could sit out all day on. The pool was great, the staff were all very accommodating. The downside was the poor wifi but whose on their computers much while vacationing? We love it here and will be back. Not much for kids to do right at the hotel, but plenty to go do. Also, they need to change their sign. It was hard to find because it doesn't say Aston, it reads The Shores.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Aloha Ken D,

Thank you for your business and kind review. We appreciate the endorsement.

I just cannot understand for the life of me why the wifi is an issue occasionally. I mean we have the best company, plenty of bandwidth and service available with the company to check problems all day. I just do not have the technical knowledge to answer all of these questions. I do agree with you on the "who needs internet" when you are on vacation but it is something we do provide and it should work!

Thank you for the kind words about our staff too.

We hope you will return.

Warmest Alohas,

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We arrived at the village fresh from a fantastic stay at a condo on Kauaii It had so many personal touches like spices in the kitchen. At registration a daily charge for additional amenities such as coffee packets delivered daily. Not worth it !!!! Terrible coffee and have to keep requesting it also offers movies but not free movies- just the chance to get them so you can pay for them!!!
No special items in Aston it is strictly basic supplies and NO Parking. The complex has 23 units and 8 assigned parking.
Every day is a hunt and pick challenge
Units are roomy enough and pools are family friendly

• Stayed: February 2014
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Aloha DonnaCB586 ,

Thank you for your business and review.

I understand about the parking conundrum and hope it was not such an inconvenience. I am verklempt sometimes about why having to take a short walk to get to a unit from a remote parking space is such an issue but sometimes it just is. I know it is an inconvennience when you have elderly folk, kids or groceries but you can drop everything off right at the front door and send the most able bodied person to get to an open spot. I always consider those moments after parking to get to the unit to look up at the stars or get a bit more sun on my nose.

I have lived in Waikoloa for over 24 years - The Big Island has way more to offer than any other Island (having lived on Maui, Kauai and Oahu I do have a unique perspective) although there are unique opportunities on all Islands. And the units at Waikoloa Colony Villas are unique in the industry - offering tremendous space, a vertical seperation from your neighbors (no one walking on your roof) and silence/security/serenity you cannot find in many operations.

I would disagree with one thing with your review - this place is a gold star in the rough. Sometimes the remoteness of the area is an issue, the distance you have to travel to see the volcano or other unique Big Island attractions, sometimes even the lack of a myriad of shopping opportunities irks a guest or two. I would never leave the Island if it were not for family and friends. I find the climate, the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the natural environment unparalleled from any other place I have visited or lived.

We hope you'll pass on the good word about the area and maybe try us again in the future when we can schedule you in a unit where your parking spot will be immediately adjacent to your room. This is just another complex I have been to where parking is a bit of a challenge but I'll take the opportunities for a once in a lifetime event (sunset at the summit of the tallest mountain on the planet) as an acceptable offset of the minor inconvenience.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas and

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This was our first trip to the big island so we had no idea what to expect. When we read the reviews on trip advisor regarding the shores we noticed a number of negative ones which could be taken the wrong way. We arrived late at night and true to the reviews we read it is dark and finding the shores can be a challenge. We are thankful for trip advisor as we prepared for this and without much problem were walking into our two bedroom condo. Our rented unit was on the main floor, very large and ore than the two on us needed. In the morning we went to check in at the front desk and were met with Danette ( she is a true gem), we had mentioned it would be nice to have a smaller room something a little higher up . Without any hesitation she said she would check what was available. She found a single on the 3rd floor and gave us a key to see if it would be okay. Upon opening the door we knew this was the unit for us, we checked in and thanked her for accomodating us. She then offered us a bottle of wine for coming to the shores. That is what customer service is all about. The shores grounds are very well kept, the pool is always clean. The water in the hot pool could be a tad hotter but thats just me. The fitness center is well equipped for anyone who wants to work out. As for all the staff, they are the most friendly people, always smiling and saying hello, asking if we need anything. Our suite #301 in the Sandlewood Tower was fairly well equipped, had everything you need to function for a two week stay. There was a faint musty smell which wasn't a problem for us as it wasnt all that bad. We have nothing bad to say about our choice to stay at the shores and if ever visiting the big island again will definaetly consider the shores again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank firechief-JL

Aloha Firechief - JL,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your review.

What a kind review it is and you are right about Danette - probably the employee who has more Aloha Spirit than anyone I have ever worked with (there are a few that come close). And thank you for mentioning looking at the Trip Advisor reviews and being prepared for the unique late arrival experience we have here.

We appreciate your business and your words of support.

We hope you will return some day and thanks for spreading the good word about us.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas and

Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was our 19th trip to Hawaii and 6th to the Big Island. We have stayed at the Shores 4 times now, and would definitely return. Our condo (112) was older and was not one of the renovated units, but it was functional and clean for our family of 4. The staff at the Shores is excellent, and you can tell that they value the guests and do everything that they can to make visitors feel welcome. This is very obvious that it is priority #1 at this condo complex. From the maintenance of the grounds, to the aloha shown by the house-keepers, to the small details that are taken care of, you can tell that the staff at the Shores has been trained to take care of their visitors. Our coffee maker quit working one morning, and within 5 minutes, we had another one delivered to our door. We accidentally dumped some sand on our floor from a beach bag, and within minutes, it was cleaned up for us. My daughters collection of stuffed teddy bears were neatly rearranged every morning on her bed. (She loved it!) Every house-keeper, ground attendant, or any other employee greeted us and smiled EACH and EVERY time we saw any of them over the course of our 2 week stay at the Shores. These are the little things that go a long way in my eyes, and made our stay very carefree and enjoyable. I would like to say a big mahaho to Greg and his team for understanding that sometimes the less noticeable things are the reasons why people come back to certain places time and time again for their vacations. The Shores at Waikoloa is a perfect example of this, and we will definitely be one of those returning guests, thanks to a staff that realizes what is important to visitors, and goes out of their way to show aloha every step of the way. Great job and mahalo!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank ScottMoe66
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Aloha ScottMoe66,

Thank you for one of the nicest reviews we have ever received. We don't find all guests feel the way you do. But you picked up on what our efforts are focused on - SERVICE. Every unit at The Shores is individually owned - some less updated than others. But even though you did not get the best unit you recognized that we deliver Five Diamond service and that - we can control. Please let me know when you plan a return visit - I want to make sure the next stay is that little bit more perfect!!!

We really appreciate the recognition and kind words.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I agree with angelbaby67 review. It was my 3rd stay in unit#14.For our 25th wedding Anniversary. But this time the unit was dirty, got no amenities, had to buy my own, after requested them 2 times at front desk and on the phone. The furniture was uncomfortable. Housekeeping showed no Aloha. Just towels at door, with no room service.My reply from management was the same as angelbaby67 received. My husband and I are residents and business owner's in Hawaii. We feel embarrassed, if this is the type of service and response from management that our visitor's receive. The one bright spot, was the help was the response I received "The Hawaiian Lady" who I spoke with 3 days after my stay. She tried to help and did have much Aloha..Mahalo to her.. Management needs alot of improvement.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fisherwoman_1
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Aloha Fisherwoman,

Thank you for your business and review.

There are times when guests and properties just can't make it work together. You and I exchanged emails and just never got on the same page either. We do our best with every opportunity but I am sorry we could not make it work with you.

We spoke about your experience as a team. We've worked to use every experience with our guests as training exercises to constanly improve our service.

We will live with the negative and positive reviews we receive - when anyone looks at every review available on this website back five years to 2008-2009 we score very well. I wish we could have gotten you to that place!

With Aloha,

Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Aston Kona by the Sea
Aston Kona by the Sea
#3 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!