“Disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Volcano, Hawaii
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I agree with angelbaby67 review. It was my 3rd stay in unit#14.For our 25th wedding Anniversary. But this time the unit was dirty, got no amenities, had to buy my own, after requested them 2 times at front desk and on the phone. The furniture was uncomfortable. Housekeeping showed no Aloha. Just towels at door, with no room service.My reply from management was the same as angelbaby67 received. My husband and I are residents and business owner's in Hawaii. We feel embarrassed, if this is the type of service and response from management that our visitor's receive. The one bright spot, was the help was the response I received "The Hawaiian Lady" who I spoke with 3 days after my stay. She tried to help and did have much Aloha..Mahalo to her.. Management needs alot of improvement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fisherwoman_1
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Aloha Fisherwoman,

Thank you for your business and review.

There are times when guests and properties just can't make it work together. You and I exchanged emails and just never got on the same page either. We do our best with every opportunity but I am sorry we could not make it work with you.

We spoke about your experience as a team. We've worked to use every experience with our guests as training exercises to constanly improve our service.

We will live with the negative and positive reviews we receive - when anyone looks at every review available on this website back five years to 2008-2009 we score very well. I wish we could have gotten you to that place!

Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
North Richland Hills, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Shores at Waikoloa was an excellent resort. The layout of the property was a little confusing at first - I had to walk all the way around the buildings and around the coy ponds to get to the pool area. But the grounds are very pretty so it didn't matter too much. My room was looking out right over the coy pond area, which was a stunning view. And the Lanais! They were HUGE! I spend most of my night catching up on work while sitting out on the lanai. The room itself was also great. My room had beautifully stained wood floors and a nice modern charm to it. The bed was comfortable and room was very clean and well maintained. There were some shops with good restaurants within a few minutes drive, and the beach was just across the way, about a ten minute walk. I would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in Waikoloa for golf or business and doesn't care about having an ocean view. It's definitely a great value for the Waikoloa area!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Aloha fishbombs,

Thank you for your business and kind review.

The lanai's are huge! This complex was built around 25 years ago when function may have been a bigger consideration than budget. I always tell guests that I can imagine beginning and ending my day on these lanai's. And with the weather getting better during the winter a hot cup of ginger tea to start and finish the day on the lanai would be sweet.

We hope you will spread the good word about what we offer and return some day.

Happy Holidays,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I rented a 1 bedroom deluxe with a pullout sofa. The room we got was a king bed.

Staff - registration was easy and staff were friendly. Helped us book a luau. We had a small issue with the dishwashing machine but it was quickly fixed.

Room - the suite was great! It was a fully equipped condo unit basically.
The kitchen had pots, pans, plates etc. There was a working dishwasher. We did laundry using the washing machine and dryer. We relaxed on the spacious lanai/ balcony as it had a sitting area. The living room came with a flat screen tv.
While the other hotels would charge you a parking fee in addition to the amenity fee, the aston shores does not have a parking fee. No issues with the wifi.

The location was great as it was in the waikoloa resort complex so there are a lot of restaurants and grocery store and other retail stores. Hapuna Beach is less than 10 min drive.

It was the first time we rented this place and we were thoroughly pleased! Will definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AJ1375
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Aloha AJ1375,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and kind words. Really glad you enjoyed yourself - you are right we have a great location and are a super value.

We appreciate that you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Happy Holidays,

Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Don't like having to write bad reviews but too many problems not to advise others. Stayed 2 nights sneezing and blowing our nose due to rooms condition. Carpet was dirty,light fixture didn't work properly, furniture outdated and old televisions with universal remote that didn't work properly. Contacted maintenance. Advised us to use a spoon to push light switch hard to turn on light ( after eating dinner at the dining table with no light the night before) and because there was no remote for DVD he advised us to use play station instead. We needed to unplug one thing and plug in another, if we wanted to use it... Also called house keeping for pillows and blankets. Due to high occupancy they were unable to fulfill our needed request. Not to mention the area walkway to our unit was under construction. Asked to switch rooms but was told none available. Contacted manager but never received a call back. Many nicer properties in the area that is well maintained for the same price. Go elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013
Dear angelbaby,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review.

Just as you do not like to post bad reviews I do not like to debate a guest online when they have such a disappointing stay. I am the General Manager - I respond to every call that comes my way. I work every day of the week and am here on this Sunday morning responding to your review. Why wouldn't I call you while you were here?

I have worked here for over 4 years with Aston in Waikooa. I always am careful to dissagree with a past guest but when I hear things like one of our staff recommended you use a spoon to press real hard on some technology - I just know there is something wrong. My team would NEVER do that. Take a look at the other reviews - no such issues. And to think that the light over your dining room table did not work and our staff did not correct it immediately is just not like our team.

I also have never heard that we were not able to supply extra blankets and pillows. Here is Waikoloa it is always warm and a request for more blankets and pillows usually indicates that there are extra guests in the room or the AC is on too high. In my office I am looking at a bag that I keep here daily in case I get called at night for just such a request as yours - pillows, blankets, sheets - all here and all available.

We really need reviews on Trip Advisor that are accurate and reflect the true service a guest received - and the product review is always important too. We have some rooms that need updating but that is a very small percentage. Delivering a clean room is critical - sorry your carpet was not good but we shampoo and clean them all the time (my suspicion - which I will check out) is that the carpet had been cleaned but there are stains occassionally that return quickly even after treatnment. But we try to deliver Five Diamond service and our records and reviews from guests (that we solicit from every guest that leaves us an email address) always rank in the top five of Aston's 30 properties.

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing stay - that is not reflective of our record.

If you would like to give us another chance I am willing to step up and make sure you have a more normal experience here.

Carnelian Bay, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Shores does not offer beach/ocean views, but well makes up for that with the breathtaking views of the Big Island mountains. We stayed here only one night while trying to extend our stay on the island, and the unit we lucked out with (328) was so comfortable, roomy and tasteful. Their use of mirrors in the dining area really brought the outside scenery in. It was great to sit out on the L-shaped lanai and appreciate the evening breezes.

The kitchen is fully stocked and the laundry unit allows one to pack fewer clothing.
This unit has a spacious living area, huge master suite/bath and an extra half bath.

The Shores are located within the Waikoloa Beach Resort complex, so there is easy access to well-known A Beach, as well as a myriad of restaurants and shopping venues. And did I mention golf? It's everywhere. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha roamingnoni,

Thank you for your business and kind review. We appreciate the input.

Everyone wants an ocean view when they come to Hawaii and everyone thinks they should be able to walk out their door to the beach! If only that were true!!! Only about 10-15% of rooms are like that.

But you picked up on something that is missed by a lot of guests - the Mountains are beautiful! And they are the two tallest mountains on the planet (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are both about 14,000 feet above sea level at their summits) and when they are snow covered it is just spectacular - a site you cannot see anywhere else from a beach!!!!

When I moved here almost 25 years ago it was the contrast of the environment on The Big Island that I was very attracted to and then the warmth of the Island residents solidified that this is the place I will spend the rest of my life. When the sunlight hits the lava just right - it doesn't look like we are living in a barbeque grill !

We hope you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Tsuchiura, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our family stayed for a week last end of summer. First of all, Shores has characteristic buildings of orange color roofs. And very calm, beautiful, relaxed place. Accomodations were a little old, but enough to enjoy resort life. Equipments are very good. I think there are every thing you need to stay for a couple of weeks or over. Pool area is small, but only a few guests swam. Hapuna beach, where I've heard from General manager, is located about ten minutes away from here by car. I recommend to visit there as you might see Maui island over the ocean. And I have to say that we saw the milky way clearly from here. That's breathtaking. If no clowd, you should try it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank West-ROOTS
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Aloha West Roots,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and kind words.

If you are an amature or professional astronomer this is the place to be! The Milky Way is a common night time visitor here with tons of other star material you'll never see anywhere else. The summit of Mauna Kea is really my favorite spot for sunset anywhere!!!!! And this is one of the few places you can see both the North Star and the Southern cross in the night sky simultaneously!

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you return.

Aston Sores at Waikoloa
Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the shores last week for 6 nights. Here is the backstory: I originally booked through American Express, but had not been able to request an upgraded room in my booking process. When I called the Shores to ask them to put a note on my reservation, they explained that the renovated (and therefore updated rooms) are the "deluxe" rooms. So instead of booking a 2br/2bath, i should have booked the 2br/2bath DELUXE. To change this with american express would have been a huge hassle, so I called the shores back and they made a note on my reservation and said i could pay the $10/night upgrade fee upon arrival. Jenny from the Shores sent me the email confirmation right away, and I felt relieved (and just hoped that everything would be correct upon check-in).

We arrived at night after the offices were closed, so we knew we would have to do the late check-in. Waikoloa is a beautiful beach resort but they fail miserably in one area - outdoor lighting. It is really dark driving around the resort, so we struggled to find the street at first. Once we found it, the answering service gave us the code for the gate, and we quickly found the check in office. The answering service told us there would be a phone outside the office for us to call back for help to get into the safe where our keys were stored. The answering service was wrong - no phone out there, so be sure to take your cell phone. The number to call is posted on the office door. We got the keys and then struggled again to drive around in the dark. Honestly, the lack of outdoor lighting at Waikoloa Beach Resort (and within the Shores) is my only complaint about the entire experience.

The condo itself was huge and beautiful. We stayed in Bo Tree Tower in room 235. The renovations were gorgeous, with granite in the kitchen and bathrooms, lovely tile, updated lighting, and a full service kitchen. The appliances hadn't been updated, but it wasn't a huge deal. The condo was clean and so spacious.

When we had to go by the front office (check-in the next morning, and then check-out), the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. I was really pleased with the customer service at the shores. This was my 4th time to Waikoloa and have previously stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations condos, the Bay Club, The Outrigger Fairway. Out of all of my stays, the Shores has had the best customer service. I will definitely be returning AND recommending to friends and family.

Room Tip: -request the Deluxe if you want a renovated/updated room -get there during daylight so it will be e...