“Disappointed!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Hawaii
“Disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Don't like having to write bad reviews but too many problems not to advise others. Stayed 2 nights sneezing and blowing our nose due to rooms condition. Carpet was dirty,light fixture didn't work properly, furniture outdated and old televisions with universal remote that didn't work properly. Contacted maintenance. Advised us to use a spoon to push light switch hard to turn on light ( after eating dinner at the dining table with no light the night before) and because there was no remote for DVD he advised us to use play station instead. We needed to unplug one thing and plug in another, if we wanted to use it... Also called house keeping for pillows and blankets. Due to high occupancy they were unable to fulfill our needed request. Not to mention the area walkway to our unit was under construction. Asked to switch rooms but was told none available. Contacted manager but never received a call back. Many nicer properties in the area that is well maintained for the same price. Go elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear angelbaby,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review.

Just as you do not like to post bad reviews I do not like to debate a guest online when they have such a disappointing stay. I am the General Manager - I respond to every call that comes my way. I work every day of the week and am here on this Sunday morning responding to your review. Why wouldn't I call you while you were here?

I have worked here for over 4 years with Aston in Waikooa. I always am careful to dissagree with a past guest but when I hear things like one of our staff recommended you use a spoon to press real hard on some technology - I just know there is something wrong. My team would NEVER do that. Take a look at the other reviews - no such issues. And to think that the light over your dining room table did not work and our staff did not correct it immediately is just not like our team.

I also have never heard that we were not able to supply extra blankets and pillows. Here is Waikoloa it is always warm and a request for more blankets and pillows usually indicates that there are extra guests in the room or the AC is on too high. In my office I am looking at a bag that I keep here daily in case I get called at night for just such a request as yours - pillows, blankets, sheets - all here and all available.

We really need reviews on Trip Advisor that are accurate and reflect the true service a guest received - and the product review is always important too. We have some rooms that need updating but that is a very small percentage. Delivering a clean room is critical - sorry your carpet was not good but we shampoo and clean them all the time (my suspicion - which I will check out) is that the carpet had been cleaned but there are stains occassionally that return quickly even after treatnment. But we try to deliver Five Diamond service and our records and reviews from guests (that we solicit from every guest that leaves us an email address) always rank in the top five of Aston's 30 properties.

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing stay - that is not reflective of our record.

If you would like to give us another chance I am willing to step up and make sure you have a more normal experience here.

Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Carnelian Bay, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Shores does not offer beach/ocean views, but well makes up for that with the breathtaking views of the Big Island mountains. We stayed here only one night while trying to extend our stay on the island, and the unit we lucked out with (328) was so comfortable, roomy and tasteful. Their use of mirrors in the dining area really brought the outside scenery in. It was great to sit out on the L-shaped lanai and appreciate the evening breezes.

The kitchen is fully stocked and the laundry unit allows one to pack fewer clothing.
This unit has a spacious living area, huge master suite/bath and an extra half bath.

The Shores are located within the Waikoloa Beach Resort complex, so there is easy access to well-known A Beach, as well as a myriad of restaurants and shopping venues. And did I mention golf? It's everywhere. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha roamingnoni,

Thank you for your business and kind review. We appreciate the input.

Everyone wants an ocean view when they come to Hawaii and everyone thinks they should be able to walk out their door to the beach! If only that were true!!! Only about 10-15% of rooms are like that.

But you picked up on something that is missed by a lot of guests - the Mountains are beautiful! And they are the two tallest mountains on the planet (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are both about 14,000 feet above sea level at their summits) and when they are snow covered it is just spectacular - a site you cannot see anywhere else from a beach!!!!

When I moved here almost 25 years ago it was the contrast of the environment on The Big Island that I was very attracted to and then the warmth of the Island residents solidified that this is the place I will spend the rest of my life. When the sunlight hits the lava just right - it doesn't look like we are living in a barbeque grill !

We hope you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Tsuchiura, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our family stayed for a week last end of summer. First of all, Shores has characteristic buildings of orange color roofs. And very calm, beautiful, relaxed place. Accomodations were a little old, but enough to enjoy resort life. Equipments are very good. I think there are every thing you need to stay for a couple of weeks or over. Pool area is small, but only a few guests swam. Hapuna beach, where I've heard from General manager, is located about ten minutes away from here by car. I recommend to visit there as you might see Maui island over the ocean. And I have to say that we saw the milky way clearly from here. That's breathtaking. If no clowd, you should try it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank West-ROOTS
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Aloha West Roots,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and kind words.

If you are an amature or professional astronomer this is the place to be! The Milky Way is a common night time visitor here with tons of other star material you'll never see anywhere else. The summit of Mauna Kea is really my favorite spot for sunset anywhere!!!!! And this is one of the few places you can see both the North Star and the Southern cross in the night sky simultaneously!

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you return.

Aston Sores at Waikoloa
Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the shores last week for 6 nights. Here is the backstory: I originally booked through American Express, but had not been able to request an upgraded room in my booking process. When I called the Shores to ask them to put a note on my reservation, they explained that the renovated (and therefore updated rooms) are the "deluxe" rooms. So instead of booking a 2br/2bath, i should have booked the 2br/2bath DELUXE. To change this with american express would have been a huge hassle, so I called the shores back and they made a note on my reservation and said i could pay the $10/night upgrade fee upon arrival. Jenny from the Shores sent me the email confirmation right away, and I felt relieved (and just hoped that everything would be correct upon check-in).

We arrived at night after the offices were closed, so we knew we would have to do the late check-in. Waikoloa is a beautiful beach resort but they fail miserably in one area - outdoor lighting. It is really dark driving around the resort, so we struggled to find the street at first. Once we found it, the answering service gave us the code for the gate, and we quickly found the check in office. The answering service told us there would be a phone outside the office for us to call back for help to get into the safe where our keys were stored. The answering service was wrong - no phone out there, so be sure to take your cell phone. The number to call is posted on the office door. We got the keys and then struggled again to drive around in the dark. Honestly, the lack of outdoor lighting at Waikoloa Beach Resort (and within the Shores) is my only complaint about the entire experience.

The condo itself was huge and beautiful. We stayed in Bo Tree Tower in room 235. The renovations were gorgeous, with granite in the kitchen and bathrooms, lovely tile, updated lighting, and a full service kitchen. The appliances hadn't been updated, but it wasn't a huge deal. The condo was clean and so spacious.

When we had to go by the front office (check-in the next morning, and then check-out), the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. I was really pleased with the customer service at the shores. This was my 4th time to Waikoloa and have previously stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations condos, the Bay Club, The Outrigger Fairway. Out of all of my stays, the Shores has had the best customer service. I will definitely be returning AND recommending to friends and family.

Room Tip: -request the Deluxe if you want a renovated/updated room -get there during daylight so it will be e...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura L
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Aloha LauraL,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

It is hard to arrive here at night - the whole Island is kinda dark for a reason. And even though it is hard to believe it is true that light anywhere here affects the viewing from the summit. Sorry about that. When guests arrive at night and have to drive the 16 miles from the Airport to our property - some kinda get freaked out (no streetlights the whole way). Even though the lines are painted and lit with flourescent stuff it can be a little disconcerting.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will recommend us and return.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed two weeks in a 2 bed / 2 bath unit. Very nice property. The bathroom could use a little work and the bedroom need ceiling fan. The parking lot lights were not working - it made for late night arrivals very dark. The staff was very friendly and helpful.Very nice private lanai. Weather was great. plenty of beach trips, scuba diving, and even a helicopter trip of the island.I would recommend the Shores to my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpspell
Aloha jpspell,

Thanks for the review and the kind words. Parking lot lights fixed now! Hope you'll recommend us and return some day.

pahoa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went through priceline and ordered room with a king bed and someone screwed up.The staff was friendly,but room #117 had its share of problems.The person upstairs walked day and night with a heavy foot,and also there was a lot of banging.the window had some covers missing and was not really private.the floor was dirty and got our feet dirty.the double beds were In bad shape that needs to be replaced. I liked the place but it could have been a little better for the money....

Room Tip: stay away from rm.117
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Aloha Bruce C,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and input - it is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

I apologize for the issues you faced. Bedding is always a request but we could have easily remedied that situation. As far as the floors go - when the wind blows we have dust everywhere - and the black feet story is understandable. I wish we had sufficient resources to mop the floors every day.

All units are individually owned. And we have very few that have not upgraded almost everything over the last 25 years we have been here. If you'll give us another chance - let me know when you make your reservation and I'll make sure you have a perfect experience.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas &
(808) 886-5001
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The location is gorgeous. We had unit 212. It was very spacious and comfortable. We loved everything about it. Our kitchen was fully equipped and the living room even had a video game for the kids. The balcony was enormous with a big table to eat. The bathrooms could be in better shape but it is a small detail with the quality of the overall unit. The general location is great since you want to be on the western side of the big island to have good weather. Since this place is remote from big cities You have a small shopping center for the use of all the hotels around. Note that the shopping center is pricey and the supermarket limited. We made our grocery in the town of Waimea. If you plan to BBQ, note that they are shared and that they are of quality and all located near the pool. It was not practical for us to BBQ. They are plenty of services that comes with the unit (ex. free videos rental). We strongly recommend the place for a family.

Room Tip: Shop in the city of Waimea for groceries and other necessities. it is an half hour drive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NYCPQ
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Aloha NYCPQ,

Thank you for the business and kind review. Hope you return and tell all of your friends.

We'd love to have barbeques for every unit - it is kinda inconvenient when you are used to barbequing on your own lanai.

Thank you for everything!

Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!