“Beautiful mountain views...”

Carnelian Bay, Ca
“Beautiful mountain views...”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Shores does not offer beach/ocean views, but well makes up for that with the breathtaking views of the Big Island mountains. We stayed here only one night while trying to extend our stay on the island, and the unit we lucked out with (328) was so comfortable, roomy and tasteful. Their use of mirrors in the dining area really brought the outside scenery in. It was great to sit out on the L-shaped lanai and appreciate the evening breezes.

The kitchen is fully stocked and the laundry unit allows one to pack fewer clothing.
This unit has a spacious living area, huge master suite/bath and an extra half bath.

The Shores are located within the Waikoloa Beach Resort complex, so there is easy access to well-known A Beach, as well as a myriad of restaurants and shopping venues. And did I mention golf? It's everywhere. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Aloha roamingnoni,

Thank you for your business and kind review. We appreciate the input.

Everyone wants an ocean view when they come to Hawaii and everyone thinks they should be able to walk out their door to the beach! If only that were true!!! Only about 10-15% of rooms are like that.

But you picked up on something that is missed by a lot of guests - the Mountains are beautiful! And they are the two tallest mountains on the planet (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are both about 14,000 feet above sea level at their summits) and when they are snow covered it is just spectacular - a site you cannot see anywhere else from a beach!!!!

When I moved here almost 25 years ago it was the contrast of the environment on The Big Island that I was very attracted to and then the warmth of the Island residents solidified that this is the place I will spend the rest of my life. When the sunlight hits the lava just right - it doesn't look like we are living in a barbeque grill !

We hope you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tsuchiura, Japan
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our family stayed for a week last end of summer. First of all, Shores has characteristic buildings of orange color roofs. And very calm, beautiful, relaxed place. Accomodations were a little old, but enough to enjoy resort life. Equipments are very good. I think there are every thing you need to stay for a couple of weeks or over. Pool area is small, but only a few guests swam. Hapuna beach, where I've heard from General manager, is located about ten minutes away from here by car. I recommend to visit there as you might see Maui island over the ocean. And I have to say that we saw the milky way clearly from here. That's breathtaking. If no clowd, you should try it.

1 Thank West-ROOTS
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Aloha West Roots,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and kind words.

If you are an amature or professional astronomer this is the place to be! The Milky Way is a common night time visitor here with tons of other star material you'll never see anywhere else. The summit of Mauna Kea is really my favorite spot for sunset anywhere!!!!! And this is one of the few places you can see both the North Star and the Southern cross in the night sky simultaneously!

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you return.

Aston Sores at Waikoloa
Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the shores last week for 6 nights. Here is the backstory: I originally booked through American Express, but had not been able to request an upgraded room in my booking process. When I called the Shores to ask them to put a note on my reservation, they explained that the renovated (and therefore updated rooms) are the "deluxe" rooms. So instead of booking a 2br/2bath, i should have booked the 2br/2bath DELUXE. To change this with american express would have been a huge hassle, so I called the shores back and they made a note on my reservation and said i could pay the $10/night upgrade fee upon arrival. Jenny from the Shores sent me the email confirmation right away, and I felt relieved (and just hoped that everything would be correct upon check-in).

We arrived at night after the offices were closed, so we knew we would have to do the late check-in. Waikoloa is a beautiful beach resort but they fail miserably in one area - outdoor lighting. It is really dark driving around the resort, so we struggled to find the street at first. Once we found it, the answering service gave us the code for the gate, and we quickly found the check in office. The answering service told us there would be a phone outside the office for us to call back for help to get into the safe where our keys were stored. The answering service was wrong - no phone out there, so be sure to take your cell phone. The number to call is posted on the office door. We got the keys and then struggled again to drive around in the dark. Honestly, the lack of outdoor lighting at Waikoloa Beach Resort (and within the Shores) is my only complaint about the entire experience.

The condo itself was huge and beautiful. We stayed in Bo Tree Tower in room 235. The renovations were gorgeous, with granite in the kitchen and bathrooms, lovely tile, updated lighting, and a full service kitchen. The appliances hadn't been updated, but it wasn't a huge deal. The condo was clean and so spacious.

When we had to go by the front office (check-in the next morning, and then check-out), the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. I was really pleased with the customer service at the shores. This was my 4th time to Waikoloa and have previously stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations condos, the Bay Club, The Outrigger Fairway. Out of all of my stays, the Shores has had the best customer service. I will definitely be returning AND recommending to friends and family.

Room Tip: -request the Deluxe if you want a renovated/updated room -get there during daylight so it will be e...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura L
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Aloha LauraL,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

It is hard to arrive here at night - the whole Island is kinda dark for a reason. And even though it is hard to believe it is true that light anywhere here affects the viewing from the summit. Sorry about that. When guests arrive at night and have to drive the 16 miles from the Airport to our property - some kinda get freaked out (no streetlights the whole way). Even though the lines are painted and lit with flourescent stuff it can be a little disconcerting.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will recommend us and return.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed two weeks in a 2 bed / 2 bath unit. Very nice property. The bathroom could use a little work and the bedroom need ceiling fan. The parking lot lights were not working - it made for late night arrivals very dark. The staff was very friendly and helpful.Very nice private lanai. Weather was great. plenty of beach trips, scuba diving, and even a helicopter trip of the island.I would recommend the Shores to my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpspell
Aloha jpspell,

Thanks for the review and the kind words. Parking lot lights fixed now! Hope you'll recommend us and return some day.

pahoa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went through priceline and ordered room with a king bed and someone screwed up.The staff was friendly,but room #117 had its share of problems.The person upstairs walked day and night with a heavy foot,and also there was a lot of banging.the window had some covers missing and was not really private.the floor was dirty and got our feet dirty.the double beds were In bad shape that needs to be replaced. I liked the place but it could have been a little better for the money....

Room Tip: stay away from rm.117
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Aloha Bruce C,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and input - it is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

I apologize for the issues you faced. Bedding is always a request but we could have easily remedied that situation. As far as the floors go - when the wind blows we have dust everywhere - and the black feet story is understandable. I wish we had sufficient resources to mop the floors every day.

All units are individually owned. And we have very few that have not upgraded almost everything over the last 25 years we have been here. If you'll give us another chance - let me know when you make your reservation and I'll make sure you have a perfect experience.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas &
(808) 886-5001
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The location is gorgeous. We had unit 212. It was very spacious and comfortable. We loved everything about it. Our kitchen was fully equipped and the living room even had a video game for the kids. The balcony was enormous with a big table to eat. The bathrooms could be in better shape but it is a small detail with the quality of the overall unit. The general location is great since you want to be on the western side of the big island to have good weather. Since this place is remote from big cities You have a small shopping center for the use of all the hotels around. Note that the shopping center is pricey and the supermarket limited. We made our grocery in the town of Waimea. If you plan to BBQ, note that they are shared and that they are of quality and all located near the pool. It was not practical for us to BBQ. They are plenty of services that comes with the unit (ex. free videos rental). We strongly recommend the place for a family.

Room Tip: Shop in the city of Waimea for groceries and other necessities. it is an half hour drive.
2 Thank NYCPQ
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Aloha NYCPQ,

Thank you for the business and kind review. Hope you return and tell all of your friends.

We'd love to have barbeques for every unit - it is kinda inconvenient when you are used to barbequing on your own lanai.

Thank you for everything!

San Jose, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here for one week in August in unit 101. We felt that overall it was great place to stay and great value. I really like being in the Waikoloa Beach Resort area. It is away from the crowds. It was so nice and quiet at the Shores. Also you can park your car near the unit you stay in. The Shores is located near some great beaches like A-Bay, Hapuna Beach, and Mauna Kea Beach. Though for good and beginning snorkelling, go to Kahaluu Beach.
Our unit was in excellent condition and was renovated. I loved the kitchen - downside was there was no vent, so we opened the sliding door. It was not a big deal. The bathroom was big and had a nice big shower stall. Really nice private lanai. This was the view we had. We did not care about the view had as we spent most of our time out exploring the island. We sometimes had our meals outside in the lanai which the kids loved doing. After a day at the beach, the kids would run to the front office to get a movie and watch it that night.
The housecleaning was overall excellent and responsive. Only one minor complaint, the staff didn't supply us with enough body wash and toilet paper and we had to get it from the front desk. You need more body wash to remove the sunscreen and salt water. :-)
Danette at the front desk was very friendly and really took the time to give us information about grocery stores and things to do and see on the island. We see that the staff here really work hard and do the best to serve you. We really liked where we stayed on the Big Island and want to come back here again. I would highly recommend the Shores to my friends and family.

1 Thank Shoba V
Aloha Shoba V.,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review. We appreciate that you will recommend us and we hope you return.

I am so sorry that you did not have enough TP and body wash - it just astounds me sometimes that we can miss such an important product we deliver for the guest. I mean - there should have been 2 rolls underneath the sink and plenty of body wash and soap.... and after just speaking to my Housekeeping Manager she is baffled too. It might be a little mistake but it sure doesn't make any sense and we'll work at correcting this in the future.

You are right about Danette - she is a tremendous asset to us here.

Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!