“Tranquility in Waikoloa”

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed our one bedroom two bathroom corner unit immensely. We were serenaded by birds and entertained by a gecko. I would return to this location but I would shop for a better suite. The design and furnishings of our suite were very good but the kitchen appliances and plumbing fixtures were tired - although they were cared for they looked to be original. Some of the suites have gone through masterful renovations and it is the disparity between accommodations that gives rise to "suite envy".
In any case, the location, size of the suites and setting are wonderful. we had been down the Kona coast at the Sheraton Resort and while we enjoyed that stay it was enjoyable be able to go up to the Waikoloa village (7 miles) or the Costco and purchase fresh fish and cook it - my way!

Room Tip: There is no beach front at this location but the Shoreline access between the Hilton and Marriott pr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigscreen
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Aloha Bigscreen,

Thank you for your business and review. We appreciate the kind words and good direction for vistors coming to The Big island.

I'd like to address one comment: every room at the property is individually owned and decorated. Some are nicer than others - some owners have not felt the economic malaise almost all of us have been in for the last 6 years and have been able to really upgrade their units. I can tell you one of the things I am most proud of us is how many units have been improved since I arrived 18 months ago and how many more are scheduled to be upgraded. We do not have a "bad" unit on property and we try to deliver clean rooms every time. If you arrive here and do not like your accomodation come and ask us to move - we have very little of that going on today and we work with every one that we can.

The other point that some people do not get, because they think every beach is the same, is that we are close enough to walk to a very nice beach but if you drive 15 minutes from where we are, there are the two nicest beaches in Hawaii (Hapuna Beach and the beach at Mauna Kea Resort (Mauna Kea Beach or the real name is Kauna'oa)). I love those beaches - I snorkel there, boogie board and sleep there sometimes with the Sunday morning paper.

Really appreciate that you recommend us and hope you will return.

(808) 886-5001

Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a magnificent place! I took my daughter and grandsons age 8 and 10. We had a large one bedroom, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, dining area, and living room with washer/dryer for significantly less money than a hotel room nearby. Our wonderful lanai with table and chairs was private due to the wonderful vegetation! We had all the comforts of home! The pool and hot tub were clean and remarkably empty when we availed ourselves. The office supplied boogie boards and mats for the beach. Whatever we needed was promptly delivered! We did not want to leave when our week was over...

Room Tip: First floor was great access for the boys to come and go and explore nearby! They collected cocon...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia H

Aloha Patricia H,

Thank you for your business and kind review - so glad you had a great time.

One of the super things here at the Shores at Waikoloa is the HUGE lanai's. Great for dining on or sunbathing from. A cup of coffeee in the morning and a glass of wine at night would be a good way to begin and end each day here - you do not need the wine, a good frsh local juice works just as good.

We have three floors and some like the view from the second or third and many also like what you had - access to the grounds for the kids.

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you'll return until the kids are big enough to want the view from the top!

Mahalo,

(808) 886-5501

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here. Was affordable and very beautiful and quiet to relax and just be comfortable and happy. The staff was always friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and offered everything you could need for your stay. I would defiantly go back here again. It was worth every penny.

• Stayed: March 2013

Aloha the Canadian ttavler,

What a super review - thank you for the business and the positive review.

I moved here to Waikoloa 24 years ago to work at The Hyatt Regency Waikoloa (now the Hilton). I had never visited Hawaii, took the job after interviews in Orlando and Washington DC. It is 16 miles from the airport to the Resort and half way here I knew this was where I belonged. I have lived all over the world and never have I had that feeling before. And at that moment I did not even know what I was in for.

You mentioned one of the most important parts of what we do - SERVICE. Yes, you have to have a nice clean product. But service trumps product every time and we try to deliver Five Diamond service at every opportunity.

We appreciate that you told the world about how wonderful we are and we hope you return for another stay. If you do - please let me know. I'd like to say thank you in person.

Warmest Alohas,

(808) 886-5001

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The place we stayed was supposed to sleep 4....good luck with that. They brought us an aero bed and the king sized bed in the master bedroom felt like we were sleeping on our heads. The pool and spa were fair and information given to us at check in was outdated. The lanai was beautiful and my son enjoyed sleeping outside on the couch, but it was otherwise not our cup of tea. The "resort fee" of $10 per day would have been better served if it just was included in the price and the wi-fi billed as "free" would have been a better seller. Staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 162CindyW
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Aloha Cindy W,

Thank you for your business and review. We appreciate the input. I wish we could have met your needs a little better. I have never had a comfortable pull out sofa and even though I slept on an air bed pretty comfortably for 2 weeks during a move I just don't think there is any way to be satisfied with either of those options.

Beds are really subjective too - one week someone says the bed was too soft - then we don't hear a word about if for months. And we always check it out to make sure there is no really bad ones out there - we ask the owners to change immediately if that is the case.

I cannot figure out how the information from the Front Desk was outdated - we have a seasoned team that has lots of experience. I listen to them giving guests information all of the time - we'll have a training session regarding this.

I despise Resort Fees and resisted implementing this. Most Resort Fees at Hawaii properties are way more expensive than this and then they add parking charges on top of it. For the $10/day we charge I am satisfied that the value is good. And in most cases the adults love it because of the free movies and games available for you. Right now we have Argo and Life of Pi - two excellent choices that you can just come pick up at the office kiosk - no charge. When you add all the coffee or tea you want and a daily news paper - I was kinda swayed it was not too bad. And it has had an overwhelming positive response form the guests.

You have no idea how we'd like to raise the rates here on The Big Island. The recovery may be happening elsewhere but we still strugghle with market compression and good business. I'd love to put the amenity fee in the rate - but with today's accounting proceedures ... it is just difficult. And think about this - do you ever think those baggage charges from the airlines are gonna be rolled into the rate - no way.

I am glad our staff was helpful and courteous. We hope you will recommend us and return one day.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

First time to the Big Island and loved Waikoloa and the Aston Shores. We stayed in Condo 338 for 3 weeks and it was great. Loved the large wrap-around porch and great to sit in mornings to read. Close to the beach, shopping and wonderful walking trails. Staff were great and friendly. WiFi worked very well. Grounds and gardens were immaculately clean and maintained. The "A" Bay Beach was close enough to walk to each evening for sunset. Lava Lava restaurant was great and close to Condo. We are already talking about our return next year.

Room Tip: We preferred to not have the morning sun on the lanai.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CatnapJK

Aloha Catnap,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

Long term guests are a bonus for us and we hope you do return. You can request the same room if you'd like!

We appreciate your recommendation too.

General manager

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Shores four or five times over the years and have been very pleased with the property. My travel has been mostly for business and the stays have been on the order of a month each. The condo is perfect for that length of stay. I have stayed in two-bedrooms and one bedrooms. The one bedroom is quite nice for one or two people - the lania is fairly large and my units have had quite nice outdoor furniture - perfect for sitting out and having a drink or eating outside. The one-bedroom kitchen is somewhat small but certainly functional. The two bedrooms have provided a larger space, and a larger lanai. Furnishings differ from condo to condo as they are individually owned and decorated. Although some have nicer furnishings than others, I have not had anything that made me want something else. When my wife has traveled here with me she has always been very pleased as well. The resort area is pretty complete and is well situated for sightseeing around the island. The beach at A-bay is sandy and very nice. Although the property is not on the beach (it is more of a golf course property) it is about a 10 minute walk to the beach. Plenty of restaurants are nearby - also within walking distance. The grounds are very nicely landscaped and the plantings are mature. The staff is extremely helpful and very pleasant to deal with. I will certainly be back, and I have recommended the place to several friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom M

Aloha Tom M.,

Wow - thank you again and again - for your repeat business and your kind words. We appreciate that you recommend us and we hope you return many more times.

Your review gave good insight to some guests who might be traveling to The Big Island for the first time.... and we appreciate that your review might direct them to us.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My family of four were delighted with this property. We weren't sure what to expect. It's a 'gated' property in this strange landscape that's been created out of the lava fields. One minute you have rocks and the next lush gardens. We had a lovely renovated unit - 317. It's a one bedroom. A huge balcony was great to relax on - lounge chair provided plus a huge living area. We also made great use of the pool and tennis courts (appreciated the free use of racquets and balls). It's very quiet and easy to sleep. The $10 daily charge to use the facilites is reasonable. Our kids loved the DVD dispensing machine. You can borrow two at a time and get more as soon as you return them. The location is close to the shopping centres where there are also a number of restauarants and cafes. It's nice to have the full kitchen although I agree with other reviewers it does have an odd cramped layout. Also good to have a laundry in the unit. The staff were very helpful and friendly. One gripe was the uncomfortable sofa beds. These are a real problem almost everywhere we stayed. I feel very sorry for my two kids who had to suffer on them. Overall highly recommended

Room Tip: We were in 317. On the top floor and fully renovated. Also in a quiet part of the complex with min...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Geoff K
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Aloha Geoff K,

Thank you for the business and review. We appreciate the kind words.

We recently had all of the sofa beds fixed at the property but you are right - they are not that comfortable. I know economics are always a consideration and we only have 1 & 2 bedroom units so some families need the sofa bed. Next time you return - let us know and we'll put an air bed in the unit at no charge.

You are right about the lanai's - having lived in Hawaii for the last 25 years and worked at a few properties - if you like to start you day with a cup of 100% Kona coffee (hang on to your horses!)or end the day on the lanai with a glass of wine or a shot of single malt Scotch - this place is hard to beat!

We appreciate that you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Cheers,

Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Paniolo Greens Resort
Paniolo Greens Resort
#2 of 13 in Waikoloa

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!