“Good choice, especially for price”

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I were looking for someplace near the great beaches of Kohala to spend our second week on the island. We were able to get into the Shores on a timeshare exchange.

We had a one bedroom unit. The unit is good sized, although the kitchen layout was very odd. Only one person at a time could get into or out of it. The appliances were new and in good shape, The unit was clean, and the bed was pretty comfortable, although the pillows were terrible. After the first night, we ended up going and buying cheap pillows at Walmart and those were much better. The shower was great, and was probably the largest walk in shower of any unit we have ever rented.

The pool and spa were well maintained. There wasn't much shade around the pool, but we were there for the sun. A-bay beach, which is the nearest beach isvery nice for hanging out at and spending the day. The public access area is better than farther down at the Marriot, Thee are palm trees to provide some shade and fewer people. If you want to do paddle boarding, or kayaking, the shop in front of the marriott is very helpful and average price. To the left of the public access and the lava lava club is a good area for snorkeling. Turtles also seem to haul up on the beach there also, we saw 4-5 each day we walked down there.

A better beach for boogie boarding is Hapuna beach about 10 miles up the coast through.

Overall, it was a good place to stay, and we would go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scott-in-Alaska
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Aloha Scott in Alaska,

I hear it is Hawaii like temperatures in your State right now! Have a good time - we know that is an anomaly.

Thank you for your business and kind review.

I love Hapuna Beach and it's sister beach Mauna Kea. These are those picture perfect beaches that inspire people to return year after year to boogie board and "bake"!

We appreciate your recommendation and hope you return. We know the normal temps are returning to Alaska soon... and we will be here with the sunny skies and blue water whenever you are ready.

With Aloha,

Gregory Koestering
General manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

One cannot eat at restaurants all the time, particularly if staying a long time. Here, they have kitchens with stoves and microwaves and an abundance of grills. Be very careful of this place when checking in after 9pm. The front desk leaves at 9pm. If you come in after 9pm, you must rely on their expertise in having a key for you in a lock box. If they say they have put your key in the box and have not (which happened to an Owner I was told yesterday), you are stuck sleeping on the beach or in your car until they arrive at 7am. So, Aston Shores: bone up on your duties after 9pm or face utter embarassment and shame. Otherwise, this is a great place and it beats a hotel...unless you like resorts and their activities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Aloha Kimo 688889,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review - I appreciate that you brought an issue to light that can be confusing.

If you arrive after 9PM - you push one button at the gate and get a live person. If there are any problems I show up in about 5 minutes and make it all better. You may have spoken to an owner that did not have keys to his own unit but EVERY Aston guest gets taken care of. In over 2.5 years we have never had anyone sleep on the beach. We do thousands of late check-ins a year - 99% go without a hitch. The 1% where there is a hitch gets resolved quickly.

We are a good value and the kitchen does really help defray the biggest costs when on The Big Island (food and beverage).

Hope you will return.

Gregory A. Koestering

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our reservation was for 4 adults and 2 children for a 2B/2B yet when we checked in they put us in a condo with 2 bedrooms - one with 2 twins and 1 with a king, no sofa bed. We immediately called the front desk and after 20 minutes they put us in a different condo. This one had the same 2 twins and 1 king but did have the sofa bed. My parents took the two twins and were fine with that.

The condo was dated and the dining chairs were extremely dirty and spotted as was the carpet. The first condo was much nicer but having my kids sleep on the floor wasn't an option.

We checked in fairly late after a flight from Oahu so I didn't pay a lot of attention to details that night. However, the next morning when my husband, two tween/teen daughters needed to take showers we quickly realized there was no bathroom door. This made it extremely difficult to get ready since we couldn't go in the bedroom or use the mirror to put on makeup/shave/blow dry hair, etc while some one was in the shower. The toilet was behind a door but offered very little privacy. We didn't even ask to move rooms because we didn't want to move again. Luckily we were only here for three days.

My husband hated all the ferral cats running around. It didn't bother me but I didn't want the kids by them - you never know what they may be carrying.

The good: The complex was very nice. There was an ABC store with groceries which made it easy to pick up a few items. There was a ton of shopping between the Kings and Queens shopping complexes if this is what you came to Hawaii to do. Most of the shopping at the Kings was high end. The Queens had the ABC store. We didn't use the pool but from a distance it looked nice.

I might stay here again if I could choose which condo I was in. The first one updated, clean and for sale. The one we were in was not very nice.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you unpack the car. Some are nicer than others.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Aloha Donna M,

Thank you so much for your business. Thank you for the review. I apologize for the problems you had.

I am from Detroit Michigan and I am so sorry we did not get a chance to talk and get you in an appropriate unit. I am so surprsed by your review - that there was no door on the bathroom. I will get with my Manintenance Manager in the morning to check our inventory - every room (because what you experienced is inappropriate) because we have never had a complaint like this. I am not sure with our new Propery Management System I'll be able to "locate" what room you were in. If you can see your way to give me a call I'd really appreciate it.

The units are all different, owned by diferent people. Some are better than other and we only have a few difficult units left. One is putting $25,000 in it this month so that lessens the cahnce you'll get anything that will not work. Most are updated/upgraded and we do our best to present a clean unit every time.

I hope you'll return. We are working every day to improve the product and the service. maybe you will try us again and be totally satisfied.

I know it's been a mild winter in Michigan. I love Troy - a very nice place where I have several friends. But I like this place better!!!

Thank you again for everything.

Gregory A. Koestering
(808) 886-5001

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Aston Shores is a solid choice. It is close to many things, and the pool is fine. You absolutely need a rental car to stay here, which are expensive in Hawaii, but if you make a trip to Costco early on, the price of lodging/car/food/island activities can even out a bit more.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NatterTime
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Beautiful grounds and comfortable condo living for a few days. I was in Waikoloa for a work conference, but the hotel the conference was at was booked. Aston Shores is about a 20 minutes walk to the Marriott and shopping center on a paved sidewalk. It's quiet, safe, and has some light along the sidewalk. Bring a flashlight!

The staff at Aston were so nice and professional. Danette at the front desk was very helpful with some questions I had about the area. She's a sweetheart! The room was affordable, clean and very spacious. The full kitchen was equipped with the essentials like plates, utensils, pots, etc. The washer and dryer came in handy as I did a load of laundry before heading over the Maui for a few days.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our trip with a little vacation a little business. We decided to stay in a condo instead of one of the resorts near by so we can have more flexibility. It was a great choice. As previously mentioned the condo was a little dated but served our purpose well. We had two bed rooms, two baths, fully equipped kitchen, balcony with a nice view and wonderful ocean breeze. The location was central to two diverse shopping areas, King Shops (high end) Queens court (moderate prices), beaches, snorkeling and much more.

Room Tip: we were on the third floor which worked out well.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful time. Staff was always cheerful and very helpful. It was wonderful when they offered to take care of some outgoing mail we had. Groundskeeping was wonderful housekeeping did a fantastic job Keeping our room clean and supplied with fresh towels. Emi At the front desk was always quite cheerful very very helpful for us after we need something As was the rest of the staff that was there.

• Stayed: October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Paniolo Greens Resort
Paniolo Greens Resort
#2 of 13 in Waikoloa
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!