“If you enjoy noise”

The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
California
“If you enjoy noise”
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at the Bay Club Resort. Let's start with the positive. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. There were three levels, we stayed on the second floor. Our balcony was very large and had a great view of the golf course. The Bay Club Resort is a bit old, however, well maintained. New appliances etc. If you enjoy lots of noise from upstairs this is the place for you. You could hear every footstep and all the running around above and the whole unit shook with all the footsteps and running day and night. We have stayed in lots of Hilton timeshares and this is the only time you could hear every footstep above shaking our whole unit.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank calgolfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Powder Springs
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I had never been to Hawaii and when I upgraded my Hilton Ownership to Elite we are given two airline tickets to Hawaii. So this was the perfect gift. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with a huge balcony overlooking the 18th tee box of the golf course. A great view of the sunset. We arrived late at night into Kona and made our way to the Resort. WHat an amazing surprise the next moring to walk out the back door and see the largest volcano on earth as the panorama. The accomodations were very clean and spacious. The staff was always friendly and helped everytime I asked a question. I had never been snorkelling and was looking for a charter or something. The concierge told us about a state park just south of the city of Kona that had rental gear and was protected from the open ocean by a sea break. It was phenominal. For $25.00 we rented 2 masks 2 sets of fins and a boogy board with a window so my 8 yr old could see the fish swimming below. The rental was for all day. When we got back to the resort I thanked the staff again for their help. I property had grills as well. I can't think of a better place on earth to grill hamburgers than by a Hawaiian sunset.
We have already planned for our return in 2010. I can't wait.

• Liked — Spacious condo and the location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Mosell
South Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2008

This year my wife and I celebrated our 37th anniversary by spending two weeks in Hawaii. We used our HGVC points to spend a week on the Big Island at the Bay Club. We only have enough points for a one-bedroom so our only choice was The Bay Club. What I found dissapointed us. As it turns out, The Bay Club is not owned by Hilton, just managed by them. However the Grand Vacation Club at Waikoloa is a HGVC property. But it only has two and three bedroom units. So as HGVC owners, our only choice was to stay at The Bay Club. The reason this is significant is that the Hilton Waikoloa Village is across the street from this property. The contract that Hilton has is that if you stay at The Bay Club you don't have access to any of the ammenities that are there at Hilton Waikoloa Village. You have to pay $84 a day to use their pool, even if you're a Hilton Diamond Member. The three pools at The Bay Club/Grand Vacation Club properties are small and unimpressive. However if you stay at the Grand Vacation Club (By the way, The Bay Club and Grand Vacation Club properties are on the same piece of land and look like the same property. However, The Bay Club is about seven years old and the newer Vacation Club is about three years old. But they are in the same group of buildings) access to all ammenities are included. The only difference is, you are either staying in a one bedroom suite or a two/three bedroom suite. Since the Vacation Club is newer, the rooms are a lot nicer with marble countertops and Cherry cabinets. The Bay Club is rather dated. It has everything you need but the room ammenities are older and don't much look like the HGVC rooms I have stayed at anywhere else.

Because of the contract differences, I kind of felt like a second class HGVC owner. Just because I had to stay in a one bedroom unit should not have kept me from having the same access as a two bedroom/three bedroom unit owner.

On the positive side, the Lanai that was part of these units was large and inviting. We had breakfast and lunch out on the lanai every chance we had. We had a problem with ants in the kitchen but they were taken care of quickly after reporting the problem. We also had a renegade lizard in the room but were unable to coral him the whole week we were there.

The appliances in The Bay Club were pretty new and nice. They were all white as were the cabinets and counters in the kitchen. The bathroom had double vanities as well. The countertops there were all white also. The tub was large but did not have jacuzzi jets. The toilet was something else. I'd never seen a toilet like that. It usually took two flushes to work. It was frustrating but also indicated how much older The Bay Club was.

The letter we received upon checkin indicated that the unites would be upgraded in the 2010-2011 timeframe.

All in all The Bay Club was not too bad. The issues of access were more frustrating to me than the unit. There was a nice beach you could go to close by with access between the Marriott and the Queen Shops parking lot. Also, in October there will be a Macaroni Grill openning at the Queen Shops. Plan to spend a lot for food. Everything on the Islands is imported. It seems the only things that aren't brought in from somewhere else is the pinapple and Kona Coffee. Everything else is rather pricy.

Next time around I may use my Hilton points to stay and the Hilton Waikoloa Village and my HGVC points to stay on Oahu at the Hilton GVC. I don't really want to stay at The Bay Club again.

• Liked — It was in Hawaii
  • Disliked — Dated Facility
4 Thank gwlane
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Just returned 9/18/08 from a weeks stay at the Bay Club.
Wonderful location and with the Waikoloa Village activities
I cannot praise the owners/management enough.
We traveled the western side of the Big Island and never
seen the beauty and conveniences any where else.
Highly recommend for all ages.

3 Thank mame518
Southern California
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I must admit that I started to follow the hype of the other reviews that I have read about the Bay Club and I must admit that I was proven WRONG. I had no choice in booking this villa since I was traveling with my parents on vacation thru their timeshare. Once I found out where we were staying I googled and searched to find information on the resort. Many peoples reviews had me thinking negative about my vacation but when I got there it was all good. The room was beautiful! .. Very large and spacious. The kitchen has up to date appliances expect for the dishwasher but it still worked fine. Plenty of dishes, pots and pans and silverware was readily available. The bathtub was HUGE! The shower can be retiled but it still worked just fine. The staff was always nice and helpful. Even when calling them at 11pm asking for more towels, they were there within 10 minutes. The bed was extremely comfortable especially after a long day of activites. Our lanai faced the golf course which was beautiful. The pool was fantastic and surprisingly warm. The previous furniture was outdated and rusty but they were replacing all of the pool furniture the day before we left. Too bad I didn't get a chance to break it in... lol ... As far as getting to the beach, best way is to go thru the Marriott. Just hop on the shuttle (which runs every 30 mins) and you'll be there in a jiffy. The Hilton beach is nice and is ocean fed but it just didn't feel like we were on the beach. Grocery store is located at the Queen's Marketplace along with a small food court. Store is slightly pricy but it pays to have its convenience. If you want to drive to a REAL market, Safeway and Wal Mart are about 30 mins down the road. Not a bad drive. I would definitely stay at the Bay Club again!!!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Devynebeauty
Bellingham, Wa
Reviewed September 7, 2008

This is without a doubt one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had. I agree with the other posts that the units are good sized, big kitchens, all the room you could want. But, it was so run down and felt dirty. Neither of us felt clean after using the shower and the thought of taking a bath was very unappealing in that space! We couldn't open any of our curtains due to all the people walking by and our lanaii was literally 2 steps from the parking lot. There was never a moment when there wasn't at least on maintenance cart parked directly in front of the lanaii. The pool furniture was rusty and the cushions literally shredded. It was so unappealing we couldn't bring ourselves to get in the water. We asked twice if we could move and were told they were full, no apologies from the staff at the front desk. I cried at the thought of staying in this location for our much anticipated week in Waikoloa. We got on Craigs list and found an awesome condo for rent by owner. After moving we realized we weren't just being whiny spoiled brats with all of our complaints at the Bay CLub. This condo is well kept, much better equipped in the kitchen and bath, very private lanaii near a beautiful pool. Even has a Viking grill on the deck. We are only paying $160.00 a night! Check out the Waikoloa Beach Villas, private owners that rent on VRBO & craigs list. Great location!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — run down, musty smell, bad pool, no privacy
1 Thank webtraveler2
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My parents own a timeshare through Hilton, and let my husband and I use their points to book a hotel for our honeymoon. We really wanted to go to Hawai'i, and the Bay Club was the only hotel available for the time period that we wanted to go. We booked the trip in January, and we were nervous because of the bad reviews we had read on this website.
When we got to the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was beautiful! We had a one bedroom suite, and the condos are very nice and private. The entrances are on the outside, which makes it feel much more like an apartment than a hotel. The living room was very spacious, with room to seat 5 (one 3 person couch & 2 chairs). The hotel provided a few current magazines with things to do on the island, which definitely came in handy when looking for places to eat. The lanai was nice and private, we were on the second floor which was better than being on the first floor because it felt more intimate. The kitchen had EVERYTHING in it! Blenders, crock pots, Tupperware containers, salad bowls, everything you could ask for... but the dishes were a little hidden.
The staff was absolutely PHENOMENAL. From the minute we checked in until the moment we left, everyone did everything they could to make things comfortable. Leslie Smith at the concierge desk was amazingly helpful in booking things to do on the island. She went out of her way to find a nail salon to have my gel nails from the wedding removed, and even called and made an appointment for me! Any time I had a question for the front desk (like where our dishes were), they answered them quickly and nicely, and didn't think any question was too silly.
The only few minor complaints I have are that yes, the kitchens are a little run down. The stove and microwave and oven are all perfect, it's just minor details like the kitchen cabinets and countertops look a little rundown and could be touched up or replaced. Also, they seem to have a problem with stray cats in the area. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
SUGGESTIONS: They may suggest driving to Waikoloa Village (about a 20 minute drive) to get groceries. While it is a nice grocery store, and an area to check out at some point during your trip, I suggest going to the Island Market in Queens Marketplace right there in the area of the hotel. It's MUCH, MUCH closer, MUCH MUCH cheaper and you can even take the shuttle to get there. And they have everything you'll need, including souvineirs.
I don't suggest going to A'Bay if you're looking for the pristine beach experience. They had suggested going to the Hilton and walking to the beach from there, but it ended up being over a mile walk on lava rock and coral before we finally got to the beach. It's worth checking out, but if you can, go through the Marriot instead of the Hilton. It's closer and easier to get to the beach. (You can take the shuttle to both hotels). If you don't mind driving, take a trip about 15 minutes up the road to Hapuna Beach. WELL worth it.
If you're planning on going snorkeling but are a little wary of the idea of floating in deep water, I HIGHLY suggest booking a trip on the FairWind. It's a boat trip about an hour drive from the hotel, where literally people of any age and swim level can snorkel comfortably. I had tried snorkeling before on Oahu, and couldn't handle the fear of not being able to touch the ground. On the FairWind, it's an hour boatride to the bay. During that first hour, they serve breakfast (muffins, danish, coffee, etc.) Once docked, you can highdive into the water, use a waterslide off the back.When you're ready to snorkel, you walk down the stairs on the back of the boat (they go directly into the water so it's like you're walking into a swimming pool!) to get into the water. You can use a flotation belt, innertube, even a boogie board with a window so you can see into the water without putting your face in. They even have viewing boxes so you can sit in an innertube and use one of those! After an hour of snorkeling, they serve lunch, and you can go back in whenever you're ready. I recommend the morning tour... it's not too hot. But wear a lot of SUNSCREEN!!! That was our first excursion on our 3rd day and my husband and I both got burnt.
Overall, the hotel and my experiences on the island were amazing. Have fun and enjoy it! I really hope this review helps.

• Liked — The friendliness & how helpful the staff was.
  • Disliked — It would have been a little better if it were ON a beach.
2 Thank staceylynnriff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!