“Hali'i Kai #14D was truly wonderful”

Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach
Reviewed December 5, 2008

We stayed for 5 nights in late November 2008 in Unit 14D at Hali'i Kai. We booked directly with the rental manager via www.vrbo.com.

The Hali'i Kai complex is in Waikoloa, beside the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Two small shopping centers with restaurants, resort shopping and an excellent grocery store are all within a nice walking distance (or 3 minute drive). The units (2 and 3 bedroom, 1200 sq ft+ each) are very new, gorgeous, tremendously well-appointed, with luxury baths and stainless steel kitchens. Unit 14D was ocean front, with wonderful panoramic ocean views from the master bedroom and living room, and it was just a minute walk to the clubhouse and pool. The clubhouse, with its open-air gym, was superb.

I would recommend the Hali'i Kai, even if ocean view units are not available. They are gorgeous, large condos, with wonderful amenities in a great location to restaurants, beaches, activities, and a central location for all the Big Island has to offer. Had we the time, we'd have stayed for a month.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCgirl99
There are newer reviews for Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach

Reviewed November 3, 2008

I stayed at unit 6d in Hali’I Kai for 4 days beginning on October 25 of 2008. I have traveled to the Islands for 7 years and rented many units. This was an exceptional unit, one of the nicest. I needed a place on the Kohala Coast that I could use as my base of operation. I didn’t need a fancy place because I don’t use the property or unit much during the day, too much to do and see. Despite my need, this was a beautiful unit and property and at a very reasonable price.

The owner are Gordon and Beth and they furnished the condo with everything that a vacationing couple would need. The kitchen is top notch. We tend to eat in and there was nothing we could not cook because of lack of utensils. The pot and pans are all first rate, not your typical rental gear. There are two master suites with two great bathrooms. Granite was everywhere. There is a 52 inch flat screen HDTV to watch your 200.5 K shrink. There are TVs in every bedroom. A sensational collection of Hawaiian music awaits you. This is a great place for 4 adults. The lanai overlooks the golf course and a view of the ocean. Very peaceful. Because this is an upper floor unit, the view is outstanding.

The resort has it’s own pool area that was well design for maximum scenic viewing. There is a community bbq where you can grill. The pool is approximately a five minute walk. The resort is very quiet and restful.

Some have complained that Waikoloa is too big. I did not find this a problem. I liked the place and Hali’I Kai is in a very quiet corner of the development. You can walk to the golf course or Hilton for drinks, it is a good location for the exploration of the Kohala Coast.

I found the unit on tripadvisor and at homeaway.com. Gordon invites discounts, and I can confirm that his off-season rate was more than fair, it was a bargain.

My only complaint was the lack of an onsite bbq. I understand that the complex does not allow bbq on the second floor lanai units but walking to the pool to use the bbq is a slight pain. However, the kitchen more than makes up for the lack of a bbq.

This is a wonderful unit in a upscale complex. It is worth every penny I paid. I will return.

Bill

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wbpiii
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We are long time visitors to the Kona coast but this was our first time staying at Halii Kai. The development is fantastic -- beautiful, well maintained, great staff and wonderful views (from 6G) but all that won't matter if the unit didn't feel like home. Unit 6G is gorgeous -- it is obviously someone's home. Well done in every way making the stay a true luxury vacation.

As we wrap-up this visit we are planning our next.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank baw1025
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We just returned for our stay at Halii Kai on the Big Island a couple of weeks ago (Aug 3-12, 2008). We had a great stay and absolutely loved the accomodations. We have two girls (14 and 10) and the 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo was wonderful to enable us all to have our own space. They had flat screens in both bedrooms and the living room so we could even relax and all watch what we wanted in the evenings.

We booked an oceanfront room in Bldg 15 which was absolutely great. We ate dinner out on the lanai several times and watched the sunset over the ocean. How great is that!! I would certainly book an oceanfront room again. It was well-worth it! The kitchen was extremely well equipped and we did take advantage of that by eating most of our meals in the condo which reduced our cost tremendously. Prices for everything in Hawaii are very high so feeding a whole family at a restaurant is very expensive. This kitchen was spotless and very functional so we used it alot!

The only drawback of the condo (which is a probably in many places on the Big Island) is that there is no beach, only very sharp lava rock between the oceanfront condos and the water. Although, this did not discourage my husband as he was up at dawn every morning, fishing on the rocks behind our place. He caught some great stuff after he learned from the locals how to do it. He also went out a couple of times to fish for marlin and ono, but he really liked the shore fishing better.

If you do want to hit a close beach (no drive), we just walked on the trail around the golf course from our condo to the Hilton next door and used their beach. Our girls also participated in the dolphin quest at the Hilton as well which was really wonderful.

All in all, I have nothing bad to say about the Halii Kai condos. It was family-oriented but not kid crazy. It was quiet and relaxed, not like the big hotels with screaming kids and lots of drunk adults. It was truly terrific! We had a wonderful stay and would definitely come back again!

Tips for Families:
We did go to the grocery store in Kona the day we arrived (per a tip from this site) to stock up for the week. This was absolutely the right decision since food is so expensive here. Any meals you can cook and eat yourselves will save lots of money. In terms of attractions, we did almost everything including some great beach time (A-Beach and a great turtle beach by the Ritz), but really loved the Dolphin Quest for our girls, the Volcano Helicopter tour was awesome, and we really enjoyed the tour of the only Seahorse Farm in the US (down by Kona). Have a great time ~ we sure did!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Jewelpef
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My wife, two kids and I have traditionally stayed at resorts when we go to Hawaii. We like the large pool, the restaurants, the activities. But it's not much fun to share a room with two double beds. And, the dollars add up pretty quickly when you add up the room rate, the resort fees, and especially eating out.

Staying at Halii Kai makes me want to always book a condo in the future. It's the best of both worlds: a beautiful, well appointed, spacious place to stay, along with a pool scene and facilities that surpass many resorts.

We stayed in unit 5B, a ground level 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit. It's very comfortable and includes a king bed in each room. The unit overlooks the golf course with the ocean in the distance. It's very quiet. There was a family above us with at least 4 kids, and we never heard them walking or talking above us. There's a lanai and a lawn where you can sit out and take in the beauty of the scenery.

The condo is a short walk to the pool area, which is amazing. It's the best setting I've ever had for a gym, overlooking the lava rocks and the glimmering ocean below you. The pool has several levels, palm trees, and floating lounge chairs that are very comfortable. The food at the pool area is excellent, and the resort person mentioned that a former chef from the nearby Four Seasons is currently handling cooking duties at Halii Kai. We had several lunches there that were excellent. The pool area has a nice bbq that we used several times in the evening to grill some fish. It was spectacular to have a glass of wine, a nice meal, and watch the sunset.

I'd definitely retun to Halii Kai and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank cartraveler1
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband, his parents, and myself all stayed at the Hali'i Kai from June 18th-July 3rd. We booked unit 5F, 3 bed/3 bath, through vrbo.com, we were able to talk directly with the owner as well at Centrex Property Management.

The staff at Centrex were so helpful. I emailed them back and forth several times before we went, and they even went to the unit and took pictures for me. Once we got there, they had someone clean the condo every 3 days, as well as refresh anything that we were out of, laundry soap, dish towels, soaps, etc.

Overall, Hali'i Kai was amazing, the pool was beautiful, the food was great, the service was top notch, the exercise hale had a great view, and was a great way to start the morning.

The condo itself was fabulous. I felt like I was at home!

My only complaint would be the walk to the pool from the condo. My husband and I had no problem doing it, but my mother n law (who is blind) had to be driven to the pool everyday.

I would recommend this condo to anyone. We loved feeling like we were in a resort, but were still able to cook our own food, and also had the option of eating at the restaurant on site, or at anyone other great restaurant on the island.

I cant wait for my return trip!

Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I agree with all the other reviewers -- Hali'i Kai is great. My daughter, her boy friend, boyfriend's mom, my son, and I stayed in unit 6G, which has the larger of the 3 bedroom layouts (~1600 SF on two floors), for four nights. The condo itself was lovely and very comfortable with upscale furnishings and tasteful decor. It was delightful to sit on either lanai and gaze out at the golf course and the ocean in the distance.

The pool area is beautiful, right next to the ocean on a lava cliff. A bonus is that it's a fifteen minute walk from the Hali'i Kai pool area along the ocean to the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort and then beyond to A-Bay beach.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank HowardSG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach? Share your experiences!