“Slow service, uncooked meat!”
Review of Merriman's Market Cafe - CLOSED

Merriman's Market Cafe
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Sunnyvale, CA
“Slow service, uncooked meat!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We had spent the day on planes, waiting for car rental and just wanted an early dinner. We arrived at Merriman's at the Kings Shops at 4:45pm and asked for the dinner menu. We were told that they could only serve lunch as the dinner menu wasn't in play until 5:30pm. So we said ok and ordered a fish and chips and a chicken sandwich as well as a Greek salad to share. Well it took 15 mins for the salad to arrive which was a really good Greek salad and then 15 mins later came the 2 dishes. My husband liked the fish and chips, but when I cut into my chicken sandwich, in found that the chicken was not cooked. It was taken back and then I got to watch my husband eat his meal. Once he finished my second chicken sandwich arrived and was cooked this time. I would have expected either a free meal or partial reduction in bill at the end. But there was nothing. No "we are sorry for the inconvenience" or even, " here's a free dessert". Nothing. And of course by the time I received my second sandwich, the restaurant began to fill with dinner patrons.

I won't ever go back there again. And if you are ordering a chicken dish, please inspect your meat before you begin to eat.

Los Angeles, California
“What a letdown!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Merriman's has been my favorite place to eat when visiting the Big Island, and I looked forward to returning during a recent trip. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

On past visits, we had to wait 30-40 minutes for a table (they don't take reservations). But when we arrived, about 7 pm on a Friday night, the place was only about half full. That should have been our first clue that something was off. After we were seated, no one came to the table for quite a long time. I had been looking forward to eating fish, but when we ordered, the server said all they had was ahi – they'd run out of everything else. At 7 on a Friday night? In Hawaii??

Service remained slow, even though by this time the restaurant was about two-thirds empty. Finally a hostess brought one entree to the table. She looked puzzledly at the bare tabletop and asked if the rest of us (we were a party of four) had ordered anything. When we said yes, she took the plate back into the restaurant. My dinner, when it finally arrived, was so-so - definitely not the quality I'd expect from Peter Merriman.

Later, when we asked to see a dessert menu, we were told that they were revamping the menu, so there was no dessert. Say what??

I noticed that they answered the phone "Merriman's Mediterranean Café" – so maybe they are in the middle of a rebranding. I hope that's what accounts for the problems we experienced, rather than a steep decline in what used to be a really great place.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank sdgobie
Austin, Texas
“above and beyond service, good food”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We ate here twice while staying in Waikola. It was convenient to our hotel. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. Both times the meals were tasty and well presented; the fish was fresh. The service was excellent - friendly, efficient and helpful. On our second visit we asked our server questions about snorkeling and got great advice.

Fife
“Fabulous, a little gem.”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food and really friendly welcome and service. This was our first visit to hilton village and we popped in to Merrimens for a quick drink as we were too hot walking around in the soaring heat. We had a look at the lunch menu and liked the choices available. Our food arrived fairly quickly, was very tasty and beautifully presented. We will definitely return in future.

Irvine, California
“Great healthy fare”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Our first stop off the plane. Had salad (chicken Cobb) and Greek tacos. Super good, nice patio, friendly staff.

• Visited September 2013