“Noisy, crowded and just "OK" food”

Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New York, New York
“Noisy, crowded and just "OK" food”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've eaten at Roys in New York City and Chicago and was expecting Hawaii to be the best. Was rather disappointed. The noise volume was extremely high, and the fish, which I usually like was too salty. In fact, everything was rather salty.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank BLBopinions

• Korean first
“Amazing, just amazing”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I ate at this restaurant and the food was positively amazing. I tried the sushi there, as well as the canoe appetizers and both were cooked to absolute perfection.
The desserts also received the same reception. This restaurant is quite expensive, but is worth at least one visit!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Way TOO Loud to Enjoy Your Meal”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I live near the Roy's in Ko'Olina on Oahu, which I have to say is much nicer simply because it is quieter. We had dinner at this Roy's on a Wed. night at 7pm, and it sounded like you were inside a high school gym for a homecoming pep rally. It was so loud we literally could not hear each other at the table unless we shouted. Granted we were with two people in their late 60s, but we could hear each fine at other restaurants. So based on the noise level, I would honestly say skip this place unless you don't like the person or people you are with or you don't care about having a conversation while you dine. The place is too pricey to not have nice ambience.

If you are okay with a super loud and noisy place, the food was solidly good. I happen to like all of Roy's fish dishes, which are usually local fish with different types of veggies accompanied by rice. This time I had a type of swordfish (not on the menu at Roy's Ko'Olina Oahu) that came with a tasty, creamy risotto with pieces of fried porkbelly in it. The fish was cooked as I asked medium-well and was a large portion. Two people with me had the braised beef shortribs, which I honestly think are one of the best items on the menu. They taste like a home-cooked pot roast. The meat is always tender and melts in your mouth. We skipped dessert because we were full, but also due to the noise. Lastly, I recommend the Roy's house pineapple martini made with vodka infused with pineapple and vanilla. They are dangerously good because of the pineapple vanilla mix.

If you are staying at a hotel in the area, and just want to walk somewhere, this place is a good meal even though pricey. However, if you have a car, I would travel down to Kailua-Kona town for some more local places that are not as loud and touristy. I was disappointed with the Roy's, so save your money.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Nicole G
Toronto
“There are better options”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

At this price point, you should expect something really good. This isn't it. Subtlety, and the notion that when it comes to food, sometimes less is more, are notions that escape this chef. Where this price point deserves a symphony of flavors - you get a cacophony. And the place is louder than a heavy metal concert. That said, if you do go, definitely have the Ahi Poke. Despite how overly sauced, salted an flavored everything else was, it was astonishingly great. Stop by for it, and go somewhere else to eat the rest of your meal.

Visited March 2013
Kanata
“Can they cook a steak”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Although the service was very good.
It seems that the Chef wasn't able to cook a steak medium-rare. The steak came medium well done... after returning it ...it came back rare!
The staff really tried to make things good.... but our special occasion was missed.
The ahi chili dish was great

• Visited March 2013