“Can’t understand the 5 star ratings!”
Review of Pueo's Osteria

Pueo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pueo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2017

Heard about this restaurant from some other guests at our hotel on the Big Island. It was also featured in the Big Island Traveler magazine in our room. So we were looking forward to some good Italian food after a long day.

How disappointing! Was it terrible? No. But was it excellent? No way! Not even close. It was exceedingly mediocre. Everything was.

Brussle sprouts appetizer - very greasy while at the same time not cooked enough. The stems on the sprouts (Stems? I’ve never had stems on my brussle sprouts...) were especially tough.

My wifes’ pasta dish was again just “okay” - just some pasta with pesto and vegetables and the vegetables were all under cooked - close to raw.

My dish - Gnocchi. The gnocchi were grainy and definitely not pillowy soft - I’ve had much bettter gnocchi out of a package. It also had little flavor even though you would think it should with sausage, onions, mushrooms and more.

For what it was it is VERY over-priced. Service was fine - but my dish was small and simply not very good. I’ve had better tasting food at Olive Garden. Fine dining prices with run-of-the-mill food.

1  Thank JD_Clayton

Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

Arrived with high expectations but left with the realization that when one is the only game in town ratings can be skewed.

Since this is an Italian restaurant, we had two different pasta dishes.

Food was over priced with little redeeming hope from the flavor or environment. Both dishes were disappointing in flavor and in temperature! The environment was very loud, too cold and too crowded (tables are so close it was almost family-style).

Guessing the locals have little to compare this Cucina ristorante with.

1  Thank ed d
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

We had a fabulous dinner and our server, Mahie probably one of the best we’ve ever had in 30 years of marriage and many dinners out. The Kale salad was perfect and my husband felt the same with his Caesar. We shared the mushroom pizza - soo good and finished off with a perfect affogato. We are here 4 more nights in Hawaii and will be headed back -probably more then once. Can’t wait to have some pasta and hubbie wants the short ribs. Mahie and the other staff were lovely and so friendly. Bravo Pueo’s!

Reviewed November 6, 2017 via mobile

We had the pleasure of dinner at Pueo’s with our two island resident Italians! Drove up from Kona to an authentic, delicious meal that went from appetizers to dessert! Personally I loved the calamari, the Kona shrimp, the eggplant parmigiana, the ... well, choose for yourself, everything was great! (Except the idea of paying for the endless bread basket which we passed on.). Bottom line. Worth the drive!

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Matt was our server and he was fantastic! We had a pizza and pasta (gnocchi) and both were absolutely delicious! It was one of the best Italian restaurants I have been to. The service was as good as the food and we would highly recommend eating at this restaurant!