“Lovely Meal at Pueo's Osteria”
Review of Pueo's Osteria

Pueo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pueo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We ate at this restaurant in April 2014, after reading lots of great feedback about it on Trip Advisor's Big Island travel forum.

The recommendations were spot-on. We had a really, really good meal. There were two of us, and since we were watching how much we were eating, we shared an appetizer. The appetizer (I can't recall its name), was some tomato slices with some chopped leeks and a balsamic reduction. The appetizer was very good. The tomatoes were perfectly ripe and sweet. Although I thought that the addition of leeks was a really different choice, they went with the tomato perfectly. The balsamic reduction finished it off beautifully. The only problem was that the appie was so small. There were 3 tiny slices of tomato on the plate - I'd estimate that it was about 1/2 of a small tomato. This appetizer was $9, which isn't exactly expensive - but it was too expensive for what we got. It would've been a tiny appie for one person, let alone two. We laughed when it came as we imagined the waitress thinking we were nuts for ordering it to share.

For dinner, our entrees were: i) veal parmesan and ii) fettucine alfredo. The veal was very tender and perfectly done with a marinara sauce and fresh pasta on the side. The fettucine alfredo was not on the menu, but we saw the people at the next table eating it. We asked the waitress and said the fettucine (which was loaded with shrimp) is no longer on the menu, but they'll make it on request. It too was delicious, but unfortunately, the shrimp were overcooked and somewhat rubbery. However, the quality of the delicious homemade pasta and the alfredo sauce made up for the tough shrimp. The pasta at the restaurant may be the best I've ever had. It was so fresh and delicious, I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I also thought it was worth mentioning that that we thought that the cost of the entrees was excellent at this restaurant. We expect to pay a lot more for restaurant meals in Hawaii than we do at home, but that wasn't the case here.
I highly recommend Pueo's Osteria. It will be the first place we head next year when we return to the Big Island.

There are newer reviews for Pueo's Osteria

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Who would have thought in a little place like Waikoloa one would find this gem !
But upon learning that both the Chef and the Manager had come from the Four Seasons Hualalai,
We knew we were in for a special treat ---more special than you can imagine !
The decor and ambiance are so inviting, as was the warm greeting from the hostess, who seated us at our table immeadiatly--and the menu ! What food and what presentation !
Everything we have tried in our numerous visits has been extraordinary---a Chicken Mialanese, which melts in your mouth, local fish prepared exceptionally--what a joy to dine here!
Plus the fact that our server, Cece , made the evening perfect ! !

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Have eaten at Pueo's Osteria on many occassions and the food has always been excellent. The problem I usually have is selecting what I want to eat. Everything is always sooo delicious.Never have we been disappointed. The wait staff is knowledgeable about the meals which is very important because my husband has severe lactose intolerant and they inform us on what he can and can't eat. They will also modify dishes for him to eat. The owners or the genera manager always come by to ask how everything was, which makes you feel special and important.The atmosphere is very warm. I especially like the stained glass window that is on the wall. I also like using their rest rooms, I love how they have the scented candles in the ladies room. You don't feel like you are in a public rest room.
Went there for Easter dinner. It was absolutsely fantastic. I had the Easter dinner 5 course meal. What a deal! Eggplant rolentine- excellent can't wait to go and have some more. Kale salad was very good and I don't normally like kae. Grilled fish with risooto,peppardelle with spicy lamb ragout, also both excellent and raicotta cheesecake for dessert.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

went here tonight on the recomendation of TripAdvisor. THANK YOU other travelers! Was a most incredible meal. My husband and I shared the bruschetta, Buratta, Kale salad and the Chicken Milanese, all were outstanding. Leaving tmrw night on the red eye, will be coming here for dinner before we leave. Great service, wonderful specials, a real gem, a "don't miss"
=)

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The restaurant was not worth the price even though we were in Hawaii. We were not impressed for $17 for 17 gnocchi. You pay extra for bread and salad. "Chef" was not happy that my husband ordered the fettucini from the kid's menu - "Chef" said did he want meatballs or anything else and it was an additional charge so we did not receive the meatballs. We would not go back. The waitress and "chef" were not happy with us since we wanted to have a red/marinara pasta sauce & they wanted us to have their "special" pasta sauce which was not what we wanted. We know now to leave when we see a menu with items that we would not want or would have to special order.

1  Thank Karen D