“Decent Chinese” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kirin Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Kirin Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Decent Chinese”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I might have higher standards these days due to living as an expat in China for many years. But still, the Chinese food at Kirin is pretty good, nothing that knocked my socks off though.

The location is fantastic. When seated at the balcony you overlook the canal and beyond the canal, quite a bit of the property and the ocean beyond. It would be a good place to come around sunset for sure.

As others have said, the portions are huge. Like most traditional Chinese, the portions are huge. My wife and I ordered just a few things and yet we had food for days afterwards. Thankfully the rooms at the Hilton have refrigerators!

• Visited April 2014

Peoria, Arizona
“Nice quiet dinner for two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great service, great view and great food. This over looks the canal and looks down and out at the beach.

Visited May 2014
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Dissappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

My wide and I ate at Kirin, the second night of our stay on the big island and I was really disappointed. We live in New Mexico where no good Chinese is easy to come by so I was excited to get some here. The food was average, better than take out Chinese but not as good and many other places I have eaten. For the quality of the food the price was high.

The staff was very lackadaisical and we had to ask for refills, desert menus, etc. It seemed our bus boy cared more about our service than our waiter and if I could have just tipped him I would have. Upon arrival we were not even offered outdoor balcony seating even though it was available. Overall, I would eat somewhere else and save my money.

Visited June 2014
Camarillo, CA
“Awesome Authentic Chinese food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had a very nice lunch at Kirin - the dim sum was excellent! The cha shu bao, ha gow and won ton soup were all authentically cooked just like we use to get in L.A.'s Chinatown. The won ton soup was very good. Portions are made to share!

Our table was outside on the balcony which had a really nice view. Service was a little slow but only because they are cooking your food. It was not being heated or reheated, but made to order. The staff were all friendly and accommodating. If we had more time during our time in Waikoloa we would have returned to Kirin for dim sum again!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“New management. Overpriced.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Management and ingredients have changed.
Menu descriptions and prices have not.
Underperforming and overpriced.