“okay, great sunset location”

Sunset Luau at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott
Ranked #16 of 68 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Gather as the sun sets over 'Anaeho'omalu Bay and delight in classic Polynesian entertainment featuring live music, imu ceremony (the unveiling of our main course from our underground oven), traditional dances of the South Pacific and a delectable selection of contemporary and Hawaiian fare with a full open bar. Held Saturday and Wednesday. The festivities begin at 5pm.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The setting is lovely and has a great view of A-Bay, so that is a plus for this luau. I guess the downsides are that you have to pay to get a lei, which I have not experienced at other luaus, but there is an open bar...maybe that offsets having to pay for flowers. The food was pretty good, but don't expect great food at a luau imho. The show good also, but not as good as the one I saw on Maui. We enjoyed ourselves and though the photography was pricey, they actually took a great photo of us so we bought it. My daughter loved it even though she did not get to go up on stage to dance. Most luau's do a keiki thing but this guy just talked about it. We enjoyed it and would recommend.

There are newer reviews for Sunset Luau at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Took the kids (8-yrs, 12 yrs) very informative show and gave a lot of Polynesian cultural history background, a little dry for the kids. Not the best value in terms of the other options in that area.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It was a free for all trying to get a table. You were not escorted or helped in any. way. The food was very disappointing. By the time our table was allowed to go get food, many of the items were gone. The waiters were none responsive to requests for refills of food. There was an open bar and many of the attendants had way too much to drink. The show itself was good but since we were at a back table we could not see very well as all the people were standing up to take photos. This was my first time at this particular luau and sadly I will not be back. The Marriott itself is a great place to stay, just go to a different luau

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Where do I start? Very cheesy. Had the huge group check-in by 430PM on to stand in line then sit it the direct hot sun from 500PM until the sun set at 530PM. Everyone looked great but sweat like crazy and were miserable. Cheesy photos you were pimped to pay for. The Kalua pig was waaay to salty! Food was so so. Entertainment was lame. One guy looked like he was a caucasian chunky boy from south Jersey. The fire dude dropped his magic fire wand numerous times. It was even lame for the 6 year olds we we sitting next to. Avoid at all cost. Go have a nice dinner down in Kona/Kailua on the water. It will be a much better memory. Everyone we sat near felt we were all taken!

2  Thank FreqTravelr
Reviewed July 19, 2013

When you pay $97 for adults and $57 for kids you think you would get not only quality food but also food placed on ice or kept warm with chaffing dishes and more importantly covered as much as possible to avoid flies and bugs landing on food. Prior to food being served my husband got up to get my sunglasses from our room(we stayed at hotel). When he came back he said that the desert table was out but had no coverings on the food and there where a bunch of flies around the desserts. Not happy. The actual show was good but there sound system was weak, not loud enough. What I was most disappointed with was the fact that anyone at the resort could watch the show. When u pay that much money you would think it was exclusive. Not the case. Looking back on it now. I know I wanted to have the luau experience but this really wasn't worth the money!! Especially knowing I could have still watched the show without paying for it.