“Our Favorite Place to Stay in Kona!”
Review of Fairway Villas

Fairway Villas
Reviewed July 13, 2010

THE GOOD NEWS: These are luxury condos, which are clean & well-kept. We have stayed here at least 5 different times, & love it since all the units face the golf course (& you're not looking at another building!). We prefer staying in a condo since that gives us the option of eating our meals in, rather than at a restaurant, & the kitchens are well-equipped. The infinity pool is beautifully situated next to the BBQ area & if you're lucky, you'll catch a great sunset. Shopping center, market, gas station, & beach are within walking distance; COSTCO is close to the airport. There is a trail running through the lava fields with ancient petrogyphs, but don't take any lava home, since that may anger Madam Pele! THE BAD NEWS: We had to leave : (

NOTE: Make sure you pick up your keys before 7:00 PM at the Management Office!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kahiau
There are newer reviews for Fairway Villas

Reviewed June 20, 2010

When we first got to the fairway villas, the receptionist was barely friendly, hardly even looking up at us. When we arrived at the condo we thought it was nice and clean however upon entering the master bedroom the tv was missing. The remote and hook up was there but no tv. We called the desk and were told it would be taken care of. It never was, never saw or heard from anyone. On our second day we got a phone call from someone saying they were security and let them in the gate. We said if your security then let yourself in,. That made us a bit uneasy. At the pool the security was all over people for no reason. Yelling at people in the evening who were having quiet conversations telling them to shut up and such. My teenager slipped into the pool with no splash and was yelled at for that. We will not stay here again with the feeling of being watched every second, not even being able to carry on any kind of conversation or enjoy any outdoor areas of the complex without being watched like you are a child. Do to that feeling of uneasyness at all time, we will not stay here again. It was nice and quiet but geez dont even whisper or you will get yelled at. And not even at 6 in the evening. For the price you pay to stay here, you would think they would treat you with alittle more respect and kindness

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hawaiisunrise
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Just went back from our 3 weeks Hawaii-trip visiting the Islands of Oahu, Big Island and finally Maui.We stayed at the Fairway villas for 6 nights and used this as a point of recreation (days on the beaches nearby, beach towels are in your unit) and as starting point for our tours throughout this amazing island. The Villas are situated I would say right within a golf course beside a pond. From our condo ("O31", the 3 in the middle indicate the floor, elevator is available) we had an nice overlook on this pond and the Kings Shops at the other side of the lake. "Kings Shops" (elegant shops and restaurants) are in 5 min walking distance from the condos. "Queens Shops" (nice new place with shops,affordable restaurants, food court and a giant ABC Store) is located as well nearby (5 min walk). Conveniently located in the area and near the entrance of the Villas (automatic gate,you get the code to open the gate at the check-in) is a gas station (Shell). The car parking is on a special parking stall right in front of each unit.The time we were staying there, the trees were full of flowers. What for a nice look!But at the same time a sticky rubbish was falling down from these trees on the sidewalks and our car parking underneath.When you walked there,you were taking with you all this sticky rubbish to your condo or inside your car. This is why I gave only 4 points to the cleanliness/service. Security is waking around during the night hours.
The units (we had two bed rooms/two bathrooms) are well furnished and equipped with all the things you may need for a very comfortable stay. Of course it depends always on the owner of the unit, but we were very lucky. I think we had nearly everything from the washer& dryer to a rice cooker. In a folder we found every instruction manual from the toaster to the dvd-player. I write this to demonstrate, that all the poeple there (from the owner to the Outrigger Staff) is taking care of you while staying in their Villas. And so you can enjoy promptly the feeling of being home. It would be nice if all the guests would take care as well of all the things they are using while staying there. A great "thank you" once more to everyone and if we have the chance to visit Big Island once more (it is a long trip from Vienna/Europe) I am sure we will stay at the Fairway Villas!!
Two more tips to the visitors: if you are looking for a great and affordable food store:"Safeway"/Kona area or "Foodland"/Waimea. Crossing the island: don´t hesitate to use the Saddleroad/Highway 200: altough in some of the quides and maps indicated as a small, narrow and dangerous road (perhaps in the night!), in the meantime the road construction is that advanced and so a big part of this road is new, wide and will bring you very quickly to the Hilo side of the island!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pierrealoha
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed in Unit A2 at Fairway Villas. The condo, pool and gym were great. I loved the grounds and walking distance to restaurants, etc. BUT - DO NOT STAY IN A UNIT IF IT IS MANAGED BY SOUTH KOHALA MANAGEMENT!!!!! Here's why....

South Kohala Management made EVERYTHING difficult. Every aspect of the process was difficult and stressful. My impression of South Kohala Management was a group of flakey people that did not understand that people come to Hawaii to decompress.

My wife and I came to the Big Island to have her relax and avoid stress. She was 5 months pregnant. This was our second pregnancy, and we lost our first child due to a miscarriage which occurred around the 4 month mark. My wife was very stressed about something going wrong with this pregnancy. We wanted to relax and build up some relaxation capital for the rest of the pregnancy. South Kohala Management made that very difficult.

CHECK IN WAS A DISASTER: When we tried to check in, we could not find the building. The check-in office was miles away from the Fairway Villas condo we stayed in. We had to call several people before we got a hold of a live person. There are no street names, so we were given directions referring to the "fifth stop sign after you make a right," for example. No one was in the office, so we had to return the next day to formally check in. A woman named D.C. checked us in. I informed her that we had a late flight on our departure day, and asked for a later checkout. She said it would not be a problem and asked me to call no earlier than the day before our check out date.

NO WIRELESS EVEN THOUGH WE WERE TOLD THERE WAS: I informed D.C. that the wireless internet was not working in our condo. I told her that my wife and I needed to work a little during our vacation. She did not have the wireless connection code from the owner, but said she would get it to me.

She called 5 days later to check to see if WE had figured it out. By that time, we had resorted to connecting our laptop to the wall and working on the internet while laying on the floor next to the wall.

CHECK OUT WAS A DISASTER: On Sunday, I called the office at 8 am to ask for a late check out. I was told to call back at 9 am. I called back at 9 am and was told that D.C. was not in yet, and told to call back again in a half hour. I called back at 9:30 and no answer. Finally, when I called at 10 am, she was in. D.C. said a late check-out was impossible, because a new tenant was arriving that day. She said we needed to be out of the unit no later than 11 am. I told her my wife and I were the only ones staying in the unit, and it would take housekeeping 45 minutes to clean up at the most. I asked her for a 1 pm check out. She said no. I reminded her that the check-in time was at 3 pm, and told her there was no way it would take 2 hours to clean the condo. I told her we didn't use the second bedroom or the second bathroom. I told her we had already run the dishwasher for South Kohala Management. She said no.

She then lied to me and said that she called me the day before to tell me, but my voice mail was turned off. (I don't even know how to turn off my voice mail, and I received over 10 voice mails on the day she claimed to have called me.) She then lied again and said that she told me when we checked in that I MUST call the day before to ask for a late check out. I told her that was untrue, and reminded her that she said I could not call any EARLIER than the day before check out. I reminded her that we asked for a late check-out when we checked in, and she said it would not be a problem and she never mentioned a new tenant moving in to Unit A2 the same day.

D.C. then threatened to charge me an overstay fee if we were not out of the unit by 11 am. I told her we still needed to pack and we would need at least 60-90 minutes before we could be out of there (it was now 10:30 am). I explained that my wife was pregnant and I didn't want her moving big bags or carrying heavy items. She told me that her housekeepers would be at Unit A2 at 11 am, and we must be out. My wife showered while I packed, then I showered. At 11:10, I was in the shower when D.C. and the housekeepers showed up. D.C. told my pregnant wife we had to leave immediately. My wife said I was in the shower. D.C. said she would be waiting outside. My wife was very upset and stressed out, and she started packing and moving 50 lbs bags to the door. I had to jump out of the shower to calm her down and make her stop doing so much physical activity.

I kept packing and moved everything in a hurry. While I was packing, another lady from South Kohala Management called and asked when we would be out. I told her I could be done in 15-20 minutes. We were out of the unit by about 12:15.

We took this vacation to decompress and build up some relaxation capital before returning home. My wife and I were more relaxed by Sunday morning than we had been in a long time; however, by the time we left Fairway Villas, I was agitated and stressed out. It was amazing that D.C. and South Kohala Management treated us like parasites or squatters that needed to be kicked out. They did not care at all that my wife was pregnant or even listen to me when I tried to explain why a late checkout would not affect the new tenants.

If I owned investment real estate on the Big Island, I would never use South Kohala Management. If I owned Unit A2, I would switch to a new property management company.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jaynunez
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Hawaii was the last island we visited on our recent trip.As a result we had experienced wonderful welcomes at all our accomodation but not so here. The "receptionist" was the rudest and least welcoming "receptionist" I have ever dealt with.The map she gave us as how to find our villa was next to useless. She brusquely told us that room service consisted of a visit every 3 days to "take out our trash and make the bed but only if there was no personal items on said bed". That's not what I call service of any kind. We never did have our bed made.
When we did find our villa we also found signs saying no noise between 10pm and 8 am.
Imagine our amazement and annoyance then when almost every dawn (for 5 straight days) we were woken by the sound of lawnmowers. We actually have a photo of the sun not yet risen and no less than 5 mowers/machines outside our villa to prove our claim.
Then to add to noise pollution the airconditioner was so noisy we didn't use it unless we weren't there.
We shall be going back to Hawaii and Oahu and Maui and Kauia and we most definitely stay in the Outrigger in Kauia where we had daily service and but we most definitely will not return to Waikloa's Outrigger.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cheryld16
Reviewed May 27, 2010

This is another winner in the Outrigger condominiums: beautiful, huge one bedroom unit; excellent location a stroll away from shopping and dining at King's Shops (recommend Merriman's Market Cafe for casual, the walk-up fish and chips place is the the best on the island, and Roy's cannot be beat for fine dining); a short drive or longer walk to beautiful "A" Beach! It was never crowded when we were there but for even more seclusion, stroll south and it is one little beach after another; don't disturb the resting sea turtles! The condo pool area was usually too busy for my tastes, located next to the bar-b-q grills and fitness area. No ocean view from the condo but we enjoyed relaxing on the quiet balcony watching bad golfers on the adjacent course. We will be back for more morning walks on that beautiful beach!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This condo was superb! It was a place to call home. My favorites about our unit (K3) were the views from the lanai, the proximity to the pool, and plenty of space to spread out and relax. Pool/beach towels were provided as were a boogie board, 4 beach chairs, snorkel gear (although we rented our own) and a beach umbrella. The air conditioner kept us cool and comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked with appliances and dishes. The bed in the master was really comfortable as we slept like babies all night every night. The grounds are well kept and parking was always close by.

Pool: beautiful, fun, quaint
BBQ: 6 available and never a wait, good place to watch the kids swim while you make dinner, clean, good place to meet other tenants
Location: walking distance to shops and restaurants,
close driving distance to many fantastic beaches

Overall one of the best condos we've stayed in.

1  Thank ToughGirl3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach

Been to Fairway Villas? Share your experiences!