“Brilliant”

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff over and above. The villa was very clean all we needed was available and im sure if not staff would try their best!!! Lovely pool and bbq. Great location! !! Only point is if you need to check out early. Would highly recommend

• Stayed August 2013
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Aloha Whitney P,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the "brilliant" review and the input. I could have guessed from your use of that word - where your home is. The English use brilliant way more than most people and I wish everyone would describe their stay at Waikoloa Colony Villas in the same fashion!

Sorry about the late checkout - we try our best.

We hope you'll recommend us and return some day.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had booked my stay a year in advance and travelled from Australia. We were given a villa next to the road with a view to the rubbish bins and car park...this was very disappointing. Our other accommodation so far had been great, both Aston run properties.

The villa inside was nice and well appointed, the garage was locked off, but hey the car was a rental so it could stay outside. the configuration of the door upstairs to get into the bedroom and bathroom was a bit annoying and the windows didn't seem to open so we had to run the air-con.

We stayed off site for a couple of nights down in Volcano which gave us a break from the nothingness of this location.

If you know what villa you are getting and you are happy with its location this resort would be fine. For me it was a let down for my holidays.

Also, they charge for Wi-Fi at this location, even though it was listed as an inclusion on my booking...the other Aston resorts it was included as specified on my booking.

And don't try getting help after 6pm, they don't answer the phone or return messages, I went through every option on the phone system and nobody picked up or called me back.

I wouldn't stay in this location again.

Room Tip: Make sure it overlooks the golf course
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TSW42
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Aloha TSW42,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review. Your input is the only way to improve what we need to.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. Having been in the Resort business for 25 years in Hawaii - a lot of people expect their accomodations to be "on the beach" when only about 10-15% have those great views/locations. At Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas - there are no ocean views. But the lava and the views of the two tallest mountains on the planet can be pretty dynamic too.

The "Resort Fee" you paid here is the same as at every Aston and should have been listed on your reservation. It is not just for wifi but includes: free movies and games from our DVD machine, all the coffee and tea you can handle, a daily newspaper, complimentary local calls... I would say that 99% of our guests love the service (which costs way less at Waikoloa Colony Villas than any of our neighbors (including other Astons) and gives you more amenities).

You are right about being in the middle of nowhere here on the Kohala Coast. It is 16 miles from the airport and nothing but lava for landscape on the trip to our Resort. When I arrived I knew within half the distance to the Resort that this is where I belong! The lava can be so beautiful when the shadows change the sharpness of the edges. This Island has way more to offer than any of the other Islands in the Hawaiian Island chain. The best beaches are here, more religous and cultural locations, the best weather is here in Waikoloa (and yes only 10 miles or so can make a difference - we get about 5 inches of rain a year and Waimea just 20 minutes away gets 100 inches), plenty of shopping and fine dining too. There are a plethora of nice golf courses, this is the bill fishing capital of the world. There is another major difference here - there is just more Aloha. I don't know how to explain that - but I do not need AAA road service. If your car breaks down you will not have to wait long for help - someone will stop! A perfect stranger will start up a conversation while pumping gas, if you stop and ask for help or directions - you'll get details and a smile. I love it here - no Island fever, never a moment when there is not someothing to do in the natural environment.

At the same time The Big Island is not for everyone - thank goodness! This is a place where you have to seek adventure and there is plenty of it! Maybe you'll come back for a better look and give us another opportunity to serve you.

One other thing - when you checked in your got an emergency phone number on your registration documents - I man that phone 24 hours a day every day of the year. Last night with the storm approaching I took two calls - one at 1AM - so there is always someone available to discuss any issue.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at #1703, that was a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom fully equiped unit. We loved it. Plenty of space for our family. Beautifully decorated, make us feel @ home. The atmosphere is completelly different from staying in a regular hotel room. We have a lot of family time, and enjoyed the lanai at night drinking a glass of wine watching the moon and stars far from the buzz of the big resort properties.
The check in was easy and eficient. We've told that we could rent 2 dvd per day and was givem the keys, and card for the gate.
The condominium is very well mainteined. We enjoyed walking around.
One mile from kings shop and queen market so there were many places to go out for dinner if you do not want to cook. Close to the beach as well. Our daughter loved the pool and we spend time there too.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ferrazalves
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Mahalo Ferrazalves,

What a nice comment about our property. Thank you for your business and kind review.

You hit on one of the most wonderful things about staying at Waikoloa Colony Villas - the stars at night. Here you can go by the pool and be alone with your family sometime at night and have a wonderful conversation with your children. Between the sparlingly lit pool and the dark star filled sky - this experience could never be had at a great big resort. If you really wanna see the stars you can go to the greatest place to view them on the planet - the summit of the second tallest mountain on the planet - Mauna Kea.

We appreciate that you took the time to pass on your experience here with us and we hope you'll send us more guests and return some day.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June. We are not resort people so this was perfect for us. We were in hawaii for a wedding at the Hilton which was within walking distance. Free parking, $10 day resort fee you can't beat the price. Very spacious, great value, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha RLJsharkdiver,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the great review.

You are right about the value - I know because I have been the GM at the nicest Resort in Hawaii (Grand Wailea - where we had 2 rooms for $10,000/night!) and worked at many other "hotel" like properties. The space, the value of having your own kitchen and snacks, the amenities, the quiet.... it just way outweighs staying in a "bedroom" - especially for families.

Almost everything in the Resort can be walked to - like you mentioned the Hilton is just a short walk away and two shopping centers just beyond that.

Hope you'll tell your friends and return some day.

gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
Lihue
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a chance to stay here during Memorial Day weekend. It is such a beautiful property and great location. We stayed in building 3. We had a 1 bedroom golf villa. It was very clean and spacious. They also had a free DVD kiosk in the check in area which allowed us 2 daily rentals. We weren't able to enjoy the pool or recreation areas but it looks very inviting. Only small issue was the maintenance man came in one morning claiming we made a call regarding the blinds and door which we did not so it seemed a little odd and the central AC cannot get cooler than 74 degrees. Nice place to sleep and relax indoors.

• Stayed May 2013
Aloha Nawahini21,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

I apologize for the maintenance staff coming in to check on what they thought was a problem in your room. I'll take that over a complaint we did not get to something!

And I have to tell you that we are trying to be responsible stewards of the planet and watch the monies our owners pay for their electric bill. Hawaii Electric Company rates are the highest in the country. The thermostats are programmable and if we have a guest who really cannot get cooled off enough at 74 degrees - we'll come down and bump it down a degree or two for you until you depart. I completely understand this when it has been so hot lately. Most of the year it is pleasant at night here with the windows open....

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you will return.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo #1706 through a outrigger hotel reservation. We showed up at the property's front office and were told that we had to check in at the outrigger office at the shopping center which was a 10 minute drive from the condos. The person who checked us in was rude. When we got to the condo itself we were very unimpressed. The carpet on the stairs and on the second floor was dirty and worn out. The pans in the kitchen were old and the Teflon was peeling off. The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable and the sheets were scratchy. A couple of the white towels in the master bathroom had never been washed and therefore left lint all over us. On the second night the smoke detector in the downstairs bedroom started beeping in the middle of the night because it needed a new battery. The person who checked us out at the end of our stay was rude too. I would not stay at this property again and I would not recommend it to other people.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 1706.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Aloha Michelle H,

My name is Gregory Koestering. I am the General Manager at the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas. I am sorry we were not able to help you when you tried to check in at our on property office to your Outrigger unit during your recent stay. We are, of course, different company's.

I am sorry you had a dissapointing stay and especially that you encountered a rude employee - that is unusual for The Big Island and I would say it is unusual for Outrigger too. All of the units are individually owned - some are nicer than others. Both of our company's deal with that. We do have way more units at Waikoloa Colony Villas than Outrigger does so maybe next time you'll give us a try and see if we can help with a better stay.

Please contact me directly if you decide you want to return to The Big Island and give Aston a try. And do not be too hard on Outrigger - they are a company that has been in Hawaii for a long time and that is because I am sure they are trying to do their best too.

(808) 886-8821
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

What a fantastic place. Our 2 bdrm, 1700+ sq ft townhome was spacious, open, well appointed and beyond comfortable...and the housekeeping was courteous and timely. Our party of 4 adults had more than enough room to find our own 'space' when needed, and the two lanai which opened onto the golf course gave us outdoor space to relax. The location is excellent - just minutes from the highway or local shopping...and the resort is only 20 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes from Kona. This resort was definitely a great place to stay...and we will return

Room Tip: All units appear to be the same, so it's more personal choice...I'd suggest trying to get on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aloha rkw48,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the outstanding review. Your input is critical for our success - it is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

I don't know what to say except "hurry back" and send all of your friends in the mean time. Business is tough on The Big Island especially. And even though I love Maui ( I worked at a Resort over there for almost 5 years) there is no doubt in my mind that the Waikoloa area (the Kohala Coast) is the greates place to be in the Islands. Of course you already know that - so we look forward to your repeat business.

A Hui Hou,

(808) 886-8821 - direct
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#7 of 12 in Waikoloa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas? Share your experiences!