“Great Value”

Bonita Springs, Florida
“Great Value”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June. We are not resort people so this was perfect for us. We were in hawaii for a wedding at the Hilton which was within walking distance. Free parking, $10 day resort fee you can't beat the price. Very spacious, great value, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Aloha RLJsharkdiver,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the great review.

You are right about the value - I know because I have been the GM at the nicest Resort in Hawaii (Grand Wailea - where we had 2 rooms for $10,000/night!) and worked at many other "hotel" like properties. The space, the value of having your own kitchen and snacks, the amenities, the quiet.... it just way outweighs staying in a "bedroom" - especially for families.

Almost everything in the Resort can be walked to - like you mentioned the Hilton is just a short walk away and two shopping centers just beyond that.

Hope you'll tell your friends and return some day.

gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lihue
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a chance to stay here during Memorial Day weekend. It is such a beautiful property and great location. We stayed in building 3. We had a 1 bedroom golf villa. It was very clean and spacious. They also had a free DVD kiosk in the check in area which allowed us 2 daily rentals. We weren't able to enjoy the pool or recreation areas but it looks very inviting. Only small issue was the maintenance man came in one morning claiming we made a call regarding the blinds and door which we did not so it seemed a little odd and the central AC cannot get cooler than 74 degrees. Nice place to sleep and relax indoors.

• Stayed May 2013
Aloha Nawahini21,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

I apologize for the maintenance staff coming in to check on what they thought was a problem in your room. I'll take that over a complaint we did not get to something!

And I have to tell you that we are trying to be responsible stewards of the planet and watch the monies our owners pay for their electric bill. Hawaii Electric Company rates are the highest in the country. The thermostats are programmable and if we have a guest who really cannot get cooled off enough at 74 degrees - we'll come down and bump it down a degree or two for you until you depart. I completely understand this when it has been so hot lately. Most of the year it is pleasant at night here with the windows open....

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you will return.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo #1706 through a outrigger hotel reservation. We showed up at the property's front office and were told that we had to check in at the outrigger office at the shopping center which was a 10 minute drive from the condos. The person who checked us in was rude. When we got to the condo itself we were very unimpressed. The carpet on the stairs and on the second floor was dirty and worn out. The pans in the kitchen were old and the Teflon was peeling off. The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable and the sheets were scratchy. A couple of the white towels in the master bathroom had never been washed and therefore left lint all over us. On the second night the smoke detector in the downstairs bedroom started beeping in the middle of the night because it needed a new battery. The person who checked us out at the end of our stay was rude too. I would not stay at this property again and I would not recommend it to other people.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 1706.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Aloha Michelle H,

My name is Gregory Koestering. I am the General Manager at the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas. I am sorry we were not able to help you when you tried to check in at our on property office to your Outrigger unit during your recent stay. We are, of course, different company's.

I am sorry you had a dissapointing stay and especially that you encountered a rude employee - that is unusual for The Big Island and I would say it is unusual for Outrigger too. All of the units are individually owned - some are nicer than others. Both of our company's deal with that. We do have way more units at Waikoloa Colony Villas than Outrigger does so maybe next time you'll give us a try and see if we can help with a better stay.

Please contact me directly if you decide you want to return to The Big Island and give Aston a try. And do not be too hard on Outrigger - they are a company that has been in Hawaii for a long time and that is because I am sure they are trying to do their best too.

(808) 886-8821
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

What a fantastic place. Our 2 bdrm, 1700+ sq ft townhome was spacious, open, well appointed and beyond comfortable...and the housekeeping was courteous and timely. Our party of 4 adults had more than enough room to find our own 'space' when needed, and the two lanai which opened onto the golf course gave us outdoor space to relax. The location is excellent - just minutes from the highway or local shopping...and the resort is only 20 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes from Kona. This resort was definitely a great place to stay...and we will return

Room Tip: All units appear to be the same, so it's more personal choice...I'd suggest trying to get on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aloha rkw48,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the outstanding review. Your input is critical for our success - it is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

I don't know what to say except "hurry back" and send all of your friends in the mean time. Business is tough on The Big Island especially. And even though I love Maui ( I worked at a Resort over there for almost 5 years) there is no doubt in my mind that the Waikoloa area (the Kohala Coast) is the greates place to be in the Islands. Of course you already know that - so we look forward to your repeat business.

A Hui Hou,

(808) 886-8821 - direct
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights March 2013 in unit 701. My family stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit that was supposed to accommodate 6 (2 adults, 3 teens and 1 child). The unit only had 1 king bed and 2 twins, no sleeper sofa and couch not large enough for a teenager. Management only offered air mattresses and told us we should have called before arriving to ensure a sleeper sofa or air mattress. Got a 1 twin air mattress the 2nd night and it deflated by morning. Our last night we got a queen air mattress and therefore enough beds for all, but no apology. Also we were late arriving (9pm) our first night and no one in reception area, just a lockbox and an envelope. Also had issues with drippy shower and unable to lower thermostat (locked at 74), and a bug in the kitchen. Had early checkout (6am) and no reception again just place keys in lockbox, still waiting for final charges. Follow up email from property apologetic and offered to reserve at another Aston property - never again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bettinar620
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Aloha Betina,

As I have written twice to you and delivered an apology directly to you on the first night you arrived - I will say again in public forum - we are very sorry for the experience you had at our property.

Each unit is individually owned and some owners have put living room furniture in that does not have a sleeper sofa so we offer a complimentary air bed. I find neither of these options (sleeper sofa or air bed) to be right/comfortable for sleeping but we have most people accept either without a problem.

The drippy faucet could have been taken care of in a second. Bugs are just impossible in these tropics - they do not wanna be inside and we try our best to keep them outta our units. We have a very professional company service the property regularly for pests.

The unit you stayed in is a nice one - the owner just upgraded the beds - they were replaced just before you arrived. The dining room table is a bit small but the 2 bedroom units generally fit 4 people better than 6.

Our hours of operation are listed a lot of places - like on the website, our confirmations and pre-stay pieces and our staff is very good at letting late arriving guests know the check in proceedures for after hours. We do thousands of these every year and have very few problems - like less than 1%. That is not relevant - you had problems on the way in and out which is unnaceptable for us.

Having been in this industry for most of my life I know and have experienced times when a confluence of events befalls an unsuspecting guest and we get a review like yours. These reviews hurt us because they influence people who believe we are not guest service oriented and nothing could be further from the truth.

I really am not in the habit of making excuses: we were at 100% - no way to help; you shoulda booked a 3 bedroom unit, rooms are not "reserved" until a week or so out and that jigsaw puzzle does not work out for every one; no one guarantees any certain type of bedding (like bed size)... in the end we failed in our basic obligation to take care of you, make any problems go away, get the guest to leave happy.

I was the gentleman that actually spoke to you on the night you arrived when I was so apologetic and asked if you wanted me to come and set up an air bed for you. Your party agreed (as I heard when I was on the phone with you) you would make it through the first night and we'd take care of it in the morning. I am so sorry and just cannot believe that you then got an airbed that deflated - just horrible and not like our team. We throw airbeds away when they get an unfixable hole immediately (just bought 4 new ones today).

Thank you so much for the input - we will do our best to make sure this does not happen again.

San Jose, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in unit 2006. The first unit we were assigned was worse. Pathetic kitchen utensils, one scratched up Teflon skillet; mix and match Dinnerware and glasses. The place needs maintenance. Broken drawers, blinds, floor tiles. Linen shortages, dirty glass slider, broken and tired patio furniture. The staff tried but were working with limited supplies. Would not recommend this resort for the money. Cheaper better place available on the Big Island.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Roberta P
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Aloha Bertababy,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for your review. The Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas is a beautiful spot. All of the units are owned individually - most are very nice. I apologize that you had such a difficult experience and I will take a look at the unit you stayed in to make any necessary changes. It is unusual for a guest to have such a totally negative visit - that is not the service our team delivers every day.

We do appreciate your business and input - that feedback is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful 15 day stay at the Colony Villas. I booked our stay directly with the owners who were fantastic to deal with. The unit in bldg12 was a 2 bedroom 2 bath with a very nice layout right across from the pool area. It was nicely furnished with flat screens in every room and a comfortable king size bed. It had some minor issues such as loose floor tiles and missing grout but it was clean with a well equiped kitchen. We have stayed in Waikoloa Beach Resort before and would have to say that for the money we were extremely happy at the Colony Villas. Great location, beautiful & well maintained grounds, and a reasonable price = would definitely stay here again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Bears Fan,

Thank you for the kind review and the business. Aston does not own nearly all of the units on the Resort property but we do manage a bunch of nice ones. Having traveled extensively and visited lots of different kinds of properties - the experience even in a hotel with similar rooms varies by location and maintenance/upkeep. We do our best and the owners have stepped up in most cases and take care of the issues if our guests have any.

Appreciate you spreading the words about us and we hope you return in the future.

General manager
Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#8 of 13 in Waikoloa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas? Share your experiences!