“Your experience can vary”

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
“Your experience can vary”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed in building #13 last year, and this year stayed in building #10 (unit 1003). This is a gated community with key code and we noticed there that there were differences in the condos, naturally, as they are owned by different owners and small touches may vary.

Unit 1003 was a lovely 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath unit with a lovely lanai on the main floor and an even better balcony in the upstairs bedroom. The unit is HUGE! and more than enough room for 2 people. It would be perfect for a family of 4 although there is room enough for 6 people to stay, in my opinion.

More than enough towels were provided in each bathroom, as well as toiletries. The kitchen had a small bottle of palmolive, and a brand new sponge wrapped up so you may handwash dishes. I especially liked this part as nobody wants to use a used dish sponge! The kitchen was fully stocked with cutlery, silverware, plates, mugs, glasses, etc, and the nice thing was everything was matching!

The swimming pool and hot tub were used by us twice and it was seldom crowded, never more than 6 people at a time there.

You get 1 parking space, and some spaces are reserved, and some units you do get to use the garage. There was never any problem with parking.

It is a quiet community and you won't hear any loud partying here. Also golf course is right there for you if you are into golfing.

Some CONS........(this part may be a bit gross)

1. the condo is large and MORE than enough room for 2 people (yay!!!). but it's safe to assume that it would be time consuming and inefficient for the housekeeping service to adequately clean and disinfect the both floors of the unit, especially the restroom.

2. the master bathroom was not cleaned completely. on the undersurface of the toilet seat there was visible evidence that the previous guest had diarrhea. there was crusting and spotting and lots of evidence of splashing. granted there was some white foaming cleaning fluid in the bowl itself, the bowl was not scrubbed.

3. the hinges of the toilet seat are designed in a way where there are tight junctions along the side. I bought a large bottle of bleach and a spray bottle and completely sprayed down and disinfected the toilet. As I sprayed the hinges of the toilet seat, a trail of dark brown fluid trickled down from the hinges, indicating that the toilet hinges were a spot to trap old fecal matter. ick. I had the same problem with the condo in buidling #13 last year as well

4. the air conditioning was pre-set at 74 degrees and you had no option to set the thermostat any lower. This may be ok for the average person, but I get too HOT ! so since this was a 2 story condo with high ceilings, it felt quit warm and sweaty for me.

5. the shower floor was discolored. I sprayed it down with bleach and water and dark stained water rinsed off. ick !

6. pillows on the master bed smelled like "old man greasy hair" and fortunately each unit has a washer dryer and so I stripped the pillows and washed them in extra hot water (powdered detergent was available) and put them in the dryer for extended period of time.

7. best thing to do when staying in a large condo is to bring some latex disposable gloves, clorox disinfecting wipes, bleach, spray bottle, and do the disinfecting yourself. also bring some disposable shower caps (you can buy them at the dollar store) and wrap each remote control in the shower cap and tie closed. The remote control is the single most bacteria laden thing in any hotel or condo, so wrap it up! You could also use the ice bag from the ice bucket or plastic wrap if there is any from the kitchen

Overall we would stay here again for sure.
I just wouldn't assume that the unit was cleaned adequately and take some of the cleaning into your own hands !!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGb747
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Aloha RGb747,

Hope you had a good time outside of the having to clean the unit so much. The unit you stayed in this year is not in our Aston rental program. I know the owners of the unit and I'b bet they'd be very interested in hearing of your experience because they are nice people and want their guests to enjoy themselves.

I have to relate a story for you. We have several owners here who are cleaning freaks like me. And growing up when I did - bleach was the universal "hard" cleaner everyone used. Not so anymore. The chemicals we have are nuch more safe and sophisticated thanordinary bleach. But there is something I love about it too - and I use the lemon scented stuff in my laundry. So anyway - one of our owners is a very nice couple from New Jersay and they visit regularly. Because she likes the smell of bleach so much - we do use it very selectively in the unit so as to satisfy that discerning nose when she arrives. It has made all the difference in the world to her and us.

If you can find the owners of the unit you stayed in - I know they would be interested in your review.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Decor and furnishings up to owner. Ours #1805 was very sparsely furnished. Large living room contained large ugly brown sectional sofa and big screen TV. That was it. No seating in bedrooms. Cheap uncomfortable mattresses. At these prices it was a severe disappointment.

Room Tip: Don't let them assign you to 1805!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Aloha Beth C.

Thank you for your business. Thank you for completing the review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the input.

All of the units are individually owned and some are more sparsely decorated than others. The units are less than 10 years old and are in pretty good shape. Owners are constantly making upgrades and as the economy improves we'll see more of this.

We deliver the best unit we can - I am glad to see that your issue was not with the cleanliness of the building. Mattresses are subjective and these are all not very old. We ask the owners to change if we get many complaints about their bedding. One week you'll have somebody that has a problem with the mattress in a unit and not hear about it again for years. Whenever we get a complaint - three of us go independently and check it out.

I apologize that your stay was not what you expected. If you decide to give us another chance - let me know and I'll make sure we deliver our best.

(808) 886-8821
gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We enjoyed the peace and quiet. But most of all the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas is the place to stay. We felt a home away from home there. and needless to say we found the kitchen well stock with the cookware, kitchen untensils, and ect. the two patios was a must have and very much appreciated. Our condo number was 401. We will like to personally thank Desiree the office worker who planned our daily must see and do list. Without her expertise we wouldn't have seen the sights that beautiful Hawaii have to offer, we didn't know where to begin. We had a minor problem with the lock on door and we reported it and Greg the property Manager handled it right away. In our closing we would recommend Aston has the place to stay for a wonderful vacation in Hawaii. we will return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gosugargirl
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Aloha Garner Family,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind words about your stay at Waikoloa Colony Villas. Thank you for your input - we appreciate that your experience will lead you to return to The Big Island and our beautiful property again. I'll pass on your kind words to Desiree too - she is Ms. Aloha and does a super job with our guests.

michigan
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our family just finished a 10 day trip to the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas. This property was absolutely perfect for our family of 6 plus our 9 month old grandchild. We loved the privacy of our two patios (one off of the great room and one in the master suite). Having the adequately stocked, full kitchen was wonderful as well. The unit we had, had a powder room on the lower level and then the two baths and three bedrooms on the upper level of the townhouse. It is a nice mix of staying in a townhome but also having some of the amenities of a hotel. The customer service by the staff in the main office and the attention of the General Manager was excellent. It is a gated community. There is free parking in "unreserved" spaces on the property. You pay a $10.00 a day "resort fee" but it includes 2 DVD's a day from a kiosk in the main office, clean towels and trash removal every other day, a full service cleaning every 4th day, the use of a Playstation and other amenities. There is a tennis court, an adequate fitness center and two nice pools. You are within a mile or so of two smaller shopping areas, one with an amazing (but expensive) grocery store at the Queen's market. This place is not on the ocean...however our family went to a different beach every day....each beach with it's own wonderful views and attributes. For those guests who would like to exercise by walking there are plenty of sidewalks surrounding the Aston Colony Villas property..it is flat and easy walking. You may want to consider renting bicycles from a shop in the Queen's Marketplace to use for your stay. We all loved this community and we will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Perfect For The Family,

Thank you for your business. You took the words right out of my mouth. This is a great place for families. The product is super - like you mentioned. And my focus is on SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE. You cannot overcome service issues with product but you sure can overcome product issues with service!

We try very hard to exceed our guests expectations. I know some people are used to more in their own home but we are glad you found everything you needed. Quiet, safe, great location, lots to do - if you come here it is not hard to have a super vacation and a lot of fun.

We appreciate that you provided great information to guests coming to visit the Big Island. Like you said - families will love it here.

We hope you will return.

Danville, California
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We loved everything about this property! Beautiful location and our condo was just lovely. In the week we were there we didn't find a single thing we needed in the kitchen that wasn't provided. In fact the cookware was nicer than what we have at home. The atmosphere is very low key and we loved the un-limited movie rental that comes with the small resort fee. All in all, we would stay there again in a seond!

Room Tip: If you like the pool, ask for a room in th middle of the complex
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank becky w
Aloha Loved It!

WOW! Thank you so much for your business and great review. You are right - this is a super place where if you come with the right intentions (lookout I wanna have fun!) you should just have a super time. If you do not have something you need inyour unit - we'll do the best we can to get it for you.

Please tell your family and friends.

I loved your review!!!

Happy New Year,

Denver
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at one of the villa units. While we liked the location and decor of the first one better, this is still a very nice place to stay. The grounds are beautiful, very well maintained and there is regular maid service. The unit was well stocked with what we needed for the 5 nights we were there. The decor wasn't that great but it was in good shape and clean. the pool area was very nice too. My only complaint was that the bed was way too hard. If I have complained, I am sure they would have moved us to another unit. All in all you have to love this area with stores, restaurants, beach access and beautiful scenery. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course if possible. The views are great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denver52
Aloha Denver52,

Thank you for your REPEAT business. Wow! Your continuing business is so very important to us. Repeat guests are hard to come by with so many options. We are glad that you had a good enough stay to return. The golf course views are nice.

When you decide to return why don't you contact me directly after you make the reservation. I'd like to make sure everything is perfect for you and be ready with a nice thank you.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
Santa Clara, Utah, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I have been to Kona many times and have usually stayed at Aston Kona by the Sea, but this trip we went with family so we needed 3 bedrooms and we chose the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas. Although there are a couple of shopping areas within the surrounding resorts, the whole Wailoloa complex of resorts is 20 miles from Kona and beaches for snorkeling were a distance to travel. The grounds were lovely and there are 2 pools with BBQ grills. Our 3 bedroom unit was spacious and comfortable and although the kitchen was well equipped, the blender was a piece of junk, there were no spices etc. of any kind, and they were "out of large garbage bags" so we had to try and use tiny disposable bags for kitchen garbage and that was a joke. We were supposed to have a TV in living room and all bedrooms but there were only TVs in the living room and master bedroom. The beds were comfortable but the 2 guest bedrooms were very small and the dressers in the 2 guest bedrooms were a joke. They looked nice, but were cheap to say the least. The drawers would stick and at one point in time we absolutely could not get the top drawer open. After working with it for so long, one handle came off leaving it a REAL challenge. We finally got it opened and removed the clothes and crammed everything in the other 2 drawers, which opened somewhat better than the top drawer. The master bedroom was lovely, large and had a walk-in closet and huge bathroom. The carpet throughout was in need of some good cleaning. There was some snorkel and beach gear in the unit but not enough so had to rent snorkel gear. Beach/pool towels available in the unit and a nice washer/dryer upstairs but not enough washing soap for the week (but then there never is.) Overall = it was a nice place but I personally don't like having to travel so far to beaches and downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Aloha Fran,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review. We appreciate your input - it is the only way we can improve the product and the service.

I wish you would have called us about the drawer problem - our team could have corrected that in an instant. Our owers are not required to have TV's in every bedroom. I'll make sure we check the floors in all of our units that still have carpeting. Most owners have upgraded to wood or tile floors.

Kona is a nice place - the drive between here and downtown is about 30-40 minutes and that can be a challenge. But we have way better weather, much more golf, beaches that put Kona to shame (Hapuna Beach may be the best on the Island) and sufficient shopping and dining to meet most guests needs.

The Big Island is not like other places - there is so much more to explore here. Unique opportunities like the summit of Mauna Kea with the largest telescope in the world and the active volcano can be reached from any location.

We hope you will return - I'd be happy to help with that personally if you'd like.

gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
(808) 886-8821 (direct)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#7 of 12 in Waikoloa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas? Share your experiences!