“Lovely stay, but not on the beach”

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We recently stayed at this Waikoloa property. The villa is well laid out with a master suite on the upper floor and a second bedroom on the main. Great for sharing with family or even a 2nd couple. Open layout with two storey windows. Plenty of room. Unfortunately, the way these units are laid out, most units do not have great views. You get 2 lanais with your unit, but most look out onto the parking areas and are not really that private. I would have thought they could have had more units over looking the adjacent golf course. The front office staff are helpful and friendly. Great tips on sites to visit and restaurants. The property includes two pools with free wifi at the clubhouse. The fitness centre is sparse, but good running routes outside your door. The maintenance crews do a great job keeping the gardens and facilities in tip top shape. The Waikoloa area is a bit quiet if you are looking for nightlife, but there are some great restaurants with Roy's Waikoloa and a Tommy Bahamas restaurant nearby. Local companies offer motorcycle or good quality road cycling available for rent. You should know that this property is not on the beach. You really do need a car when you stay here. We enjoyed our stay. The big island is probably what Maui was 20 or so years ago, a little more laid back with more space to get away on your own. We were happy for the change of pace after a couple of nights at Waikiki at the start of our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank VancouverFamilyof4
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Thank you very much for your business. Thank you for your review. We need input like yours and we appreciate that you took the time. You are right about the views here on property - most units do not have ocean views. That's really not unusual for Hawaii. But I would counter with the fact that there are views here on this Island you cannot get anywhere else - with a little work. The most spectacular place on earth is the summit of Mauna Kea at sunset - an easy drive from the property. At 14,000 feet above sea level you are above 50% of the atmosphere, surrounded by the greatest grouping of telescopes in the world with views of the heavens that can barely be described. At sunset when the telescopes position themselves and open their domes up - well, it's just crazy cool. Remember - Mauna Kea is the second tallest mountain on the planet - and from the summit you can see the tallest ountain on the planet - Mauna Loa. And speaking of views - where else can you take a helicopter ride over an active volcano. Having lived in Hawaii for the past 22 years I have visited hundreds of beaches - the two best in Hawaii are minutes from our doors (Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea Beach) - white sand, blue clear warm water and great for snorkeling - it just does not get any better. And don't forget - we have black and green sand beaches here also. I've seen the "green flash" here at sunset a couple of times too! It's a spiritual, beautiful place - it will be my home forever. I am glad our accomodations worked out for you and hope you'll return for another visit with us. Please contact me if we can be of any service.

Warmest Alohas,

Waikoloa Colony Villas

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I would not recommend this property unless you can't afford anything else.
The exterior property was beautiful. Location was great. But this particular unit (#701) was very dated, beds and furniture all very uncomfortable, carpet was horrible. The kitchen was not very well equipped... there were many things we could have used in the kitchen like measuring spoons, measuring cups, scissors, etc. Also, a coffee maker from this century would have been nice. Didn't like that the master was up. Upstairs shower had no where to put shampoo, soap, razor, etc. We had to put it on the floor. Also, the shower pan & back of the toilet seat don't look like they have ever seen a scrub brush (disgusting). Last but not least, housekeeping had a terrible attitude.
If I ever go back to The Big Island, I will not stay at the Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank vgrsmith
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Aloha Mr. & Mrs. Smith,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review. As I mentioned in my earlier response to you on the review you placed on Yelp - I apologize for the issues you had when you stayed with us and wished you had given us any opportunity to correct anything. We pride our self on service but we did not know you had any issue with anything until you departed. As an operator I always want to satisfy every guest and from the reviews you can see on Trip Advisor (and other travel sites) we have done fairly well. Many of these guests may have needed some attention on an issue during their stay. As a matter of fact the service we have provided when we had an issue has led to many stellar reviews because we did a good job correcting the problem.

Having been a General Manager at some fine upscale resorts I wish I could tell you that everything went smooth on every reservation and guest stay. That would not be true. But the real test is converting a guest who has had a rough start or an annoying problem that they do not think they should have to deal with.... and my team is exceptional at dealing with guest issues.

Maybe you'll return and give us another chance - we'd like that opportunity.

Once again - thank you for your business and input. It is the only we can improve the product and service.

Warmest Alohas,

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our family stayed at the Colony Villas for our annual 4th of July gathering. The condo and pool was very clean and not crowded like other Waikoloa properties. We requested and were given a unit close to the tennis court and just steps away from the pool and BBQ grill. The staff was very friendly and welcoming and the parking was convenient. We highly recommend this condo!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed with my family, two adults and two teens at the Waikoloa Colony Villas in late June, 2011. Several days before I arrived I called to make sure of the room configuration that I had requested. I spoke to Desiree who was the most pleasant and helpful hotel / condo employee that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Upon arrival I was treated very professionally and with the can- do attitude that you don't see anymore. The property is a very nice , clean, spacious , secure and highly maintained inside and out. I opted for a quiet unit, but in all honesty, the entire facility was quiet and peaceful. You are right at the golf courses and have both the Queens marketplace and Kings shops literally 2 minutes away. Before selecting the property, I had really considered the Hilton at Waikoloa Village. I read the trip advisor reviews which turned me off. The Colony Villas have free parking which is right outside of your room. My wife and I walked over to the Hilton to see what all the hype was and I was so glad that I did not stay there. You pay for parking which is quiet a walk to the lobby. When at the lobby, you take a monorail or a boat in a canal to get you to your room. It is quiet a wait, not something that I wanted to do. While exiting the Hilton we heard an upset woman complaining at the check-in desk that she just arrived to her room and it smelled bad.
The properties in this village are connected by a horseshoe shaped street. The facility is about 20 minutes north of the airport. There is a great beach with free public parking across from queens market place called A' bay. good snorkeling with turtles everywhere. The Waikoloa Colony Villas is a great place to stay, a great value with an outstanding staff. Desiree and Greg from Waikoloa Colony Villas were both outstanding people that made for a great stay. They will steer you in the right direction where you can go grocery shopping and not go broke. Great Job!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank wvillamil
Reviewed May 8, 2011

This place is very nice, the only down fall I thought was no body was at the office after 8pm. So your on your own. But It was very clean, very roomy, nice view of the fairway, but I did request a fairway view. There are a few condos on the property you will have a view of the parking lot. Waikoloa is a little ways away from everything so you will have a 15 min drive no matter what. They do have some nice shops and a few nice places to eat. I would recommend this to anyone as a place to stay, just recommend a fairway view!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank justmarriedillinois
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your business. We appreciate the kind words about our property. The advice you gave is great - you need a car on The Big Island. There is so much exploring to do! And you are also right - there is shopping and restaurants within walking distance. We do have the office open until 6PM daily but there are easy instructions to get in after hours and we can give you those (by email or fax) if you know you are arriving late. I am glad you had no problem getting in after hours -we do this many times and the system (you will talk to a live person from the front entry gate) works good. Hope you'll tell your friends and return.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com

Reviewed April 24, 2011

My family have been needing a weekend getaway and going to the Waikoloa Colony Villas was the best weekends we've ever had. It was our first time there and we absolutely loved our condo. Upon arrival at check-in the staff was very helpful and friendly. Our condo was very spacious and perfect for my husband, myself, and four children. Our condo was right next to the children's pool which made it easier for us traveling with two little ones and two older ones. We never left the condos and spent most of our days at the pool. We will be definitely be back, hopefully in July! Thank you Aston Waikoloa!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

Wow - thank you very much for the kind words - glad you had a great time. We appreciate your business. Please come on back!!! Contact me if we can be of any service.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed 7 nights here and it was the best decision we made when coming to the big island! After what has seemed a long winter in North Pole, AK, this place was just what we needed to rejuvenate. The staff at the Aston Colony Villas were wonderful, as well as the condo we were assigned (2 BR/king & queen, 2 1/2 bath with large living room) was perfect for us, and totally relaxing. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Thank you so much for your business and wonderful review after you departed. We'd love to have you back and please tell your friends about us. If we can be of any service please feel free to contact me directly.

A Hui Hou,

gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#8 of 13 in Waikoloa
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas? Share your experiences!