“Excellent Value, Spotless Condo”

Paniolo Greens Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Deerfield, IL
“Excellent Value, Spotless Condo”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed here just one night, but wish we stayed longer, as this was a very nice condo. We rented directly via the property website, and got an very low price of $151/night for a two-bedroom villa. Perhaps the price was this low because we stayed mid-week in June. (We paid twice as much for a lesser condo in Kona!).

Our unit in the "J" building had two bedrooms upstairs (one King, one Twins); downstairs was a small sitting room with no sleeping accommodations, and a living room with a queen-size sleeper sofa. Ceiling fans throughout provided plenty of air movement, so we did not need or use the optional A/C. The kitchen was good-sized and well-equipped; we saved money on eating out by using the new Weber grill in the pool area to cook fresh Blue Marlin bought at resort grocery story (which is good-sized, too).

Maybe we lucked out and had an unusually nice unit, but it was fresh, clean and well maintained. The furnishings and fixtures were not new, but in fine shape. (You will find Formica counters, not granite; a standard shower, not a spa tub; so, if you are a luxury seeker, head elsewhere.) My wife is a fussy type from Chicago's North Shore, and my mother-in-law (who traveled with us) is also discriminating, but neither of them had a complaint.

Our boys enjoyed the pool area, which was well equipped; also in the club-house were a small but nice exercise room and lounge area with free WiFi. See my photos attached.

The location is good; you are ten minutes inland from the coast road, so very close to fantastic beaches and historical sites. (Just 10 mins. away is Hapuna Beach State Park, with a wonderful beach and good facilities. Other excellent beaches are also in the same area, although this part of the island is not known for snorkeling.) We would definitely stay here again, and not down in Kailau-Kona town, which is an overpriced tourist trap (you came to Hawaii to see a Hard Rock Cafe??!!) From here we headed over to Hilo, which I think is an even better place to spend time on the Big Island, if you can handle intermittent rains.

• Liked — Spaciousness, cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — Small sitting room; not very practical
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
14 Thank retro1959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2007

This resort was the only one that came available via RCI on the Big Island or Hawaii, so we took it!

The resort itself is well off the beaten path, so if you're looking for something close in with some night life, this isn't the place. It's about 45 minutes from Kona and it seems like it takes forever to get here. Once you're here you step off the moon like surroundings of Waikoloa into a green place with a nice golf course, kind of out of place, but nice. The units are very large, two nice size bedrooms, we opened the sliders and we have a great breeze, so we haven't paid for A/C as of yet, but it's only our first day. The unit is clean and comfortable. There isn't much around here for shopping, etc, we went to the local grocery store to stock up and paid a little more than going to like a Safeway, but the store had everything we needed.

The other thing I noticed is there aren't any ABC stores around that we have found, which is a good thing I guess. The WalMart and Costco is about 40 mins away near Kona, so not real convenient, but again probably not a bad thing.

We are looking forward to driving around the island, looking at the volcano, and other sites over the next week.

Bottomline, this is not a top of the line resort, but gives you a great home base with a kitchen and room to relax. The pool area is small, but sufficient.

I would recommend this resort to others, especially other timeshare owers.

Enjoy -- Don

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank Vacation_Dude_20
pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We just returned from a week at this resort and would like to set the record straight related to some of the reviews. If you are looking for a place to sit around the pool in luxurious surroundings, this will not be for you. The pool is small but well maintained. The resort itself is not luxurious but adequate. The units were essentially clean but did show some evidence of normal wear and tear. It was quiet although the golf course was mowed every morning at around 6 AM. This was not a problem for us since we do not like to sleep in.

The Big Island is big and if you want to see it you must do a lot of driving. In that respect the resort is not really near anything. It is about a 10 minute drive to beautiful Hapuna Beach and a closer drive to a good snorkeling spot. Volcano National Park is about 2 hours away and Kona is 30 minutes away.

The best restaurants will be anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes away. There is a grocery store less than 5 minutes away. All in all we were not dissatisfied but we went in without great expectations.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank professork
Flin Flon, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We just got back from a 2 week stay at Paniolo Greens and had a great time. There where 6 of us, in a 2 bedroom and the living room had a pull out couch. There where 3 bathrooms so that was great for each couple. We rented the air conditioning since I can not go without the cool air, the others could have done with out. There where days the breezes blew through but also days the air was sticky. The Condo was very clean and the maid came one day a week and changed towels when ever we wanted. The washer and dryer worked but the dryer is not vented outside so it was hard to get the clothes dry but we just hung them on the railing inside. The kitchen was a full kitchen and we had the use of a Bar-B-Que when we wanted to grill. We shopped for our groceries at the store in the village just up the hill from the greens, they had everything and the prices where good. Went to Costco once and Walmart a few times. WE did rent a van as you are about 1 hour from Kona and longer from the Hilo side. We did the lsland twice and seen lots. The Beach close to us was called Hapuna(not sure of spelling) and it was beautiful. We went to A - Bay and it was nice but the snorkeling wasn't as good where we went. We did snorkle in Kona right of the beach and seen lots of fish. So all in all we think people complain a way to much the condo was great no bugs and the office was very helpful the pool although cool was open from 7am to 10pm and the construction noise was not bad at all and not on everyday. So come on people your on a holiday so go with an open mind and have fun.

• Liked — Iit was clean and big.
  • Disliked — Far away from the other towns, but we knew this going there.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
12 Thank 565travel
daphne95
Reviewed April 22, 2007

If you are looking to stay on the big island but don't want the traffic in Kona, this is great. We got a golf course view which was great, I wouldn't want a room with the main road/courtyard view. The office was efficient upon check-in.

The room was nice, clean and what you would expect from a condo. The beds are decently comfortable. The dryer does not even get hot, expect 2+ hours for a load to dry. I felt like all I did all week was wash and dry clothes. We locked ourselves out and they came quickly to let us in. Our blender did not work and they quickly came with a replacement which also didn't work but they came again with a 3rd which did.

The pool is nice but too shallow, I think 4 ft. is all. There is a nice kiddy pool. The tennis court was great and you can also do ping-pong, horseshoes, basketball and football.

Don't bother to call the concierge for info on places/activities. All they tried to do is sell us a package. I'm the type who likes to explore the area on my own. If I want to see something, I want my car and it's on my time. I don't want to ride a bus with a bunch of other people and work around them. I called down to get info about a luau and they only gave me info on the ones they sell. I called down about the volcano park and they tried to book me on a helicopter tour. I called about the black sand beach and they mentioned a bus tour. Lastly, I called about where I could see the manta rays and they tried to get me to do a night dive trip, I am sure my senior parents would appreciate that:-) When I said I knew they used to do them at the Mauna Kea which is closed due to the earthquake and wanted to know if any others did it I got the brush off. When I went online, I found the Sheraton Keauhou where you can see the Mantas from the Crystal Blue Lounge. Pressure, pressure.

This is about 30-40 minutes from downtown Kona but there are shops in Waikoloa Beach. Also, there is a grocery store about 5 minutes away in Waikoloa Village. Hapuna Beach is about 10 minutes away, a must see, the waves are good for boogie boarding the current is a little strong so watch the kids. Expect about 2.5 hours to get to the Black Sand Beach or Volcano Park, well worth the drive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — concierge, dryer
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank daphne95
SF Bay Area
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We spent spring break week here; 2 adults and 2 young kids. We stayed in building K, in a 2-story, 2-bedroom, 3 bath condo. We were very satisfied with everything.

The kitchen came equip'd w/the basics. We did have to ask for a 2nd frying pan in order to cook two things at one time (they brought it quickly, no charge). The stovetop worked, though some better than others. We had enough dishwashing soap & dishwasher detergent to last us the entire trip. One packet of coffee, and assortment of sugars was provided upon arrival.

The beds were clean and warm. They had some of the better pillows I've had at other hotels & rentals. Bathrooms had plenty of towels, soap, kleenex, & toilet paper; we never ran out of any the entire week.

Housekeeping comes once during a weeklong stay, but if you need additional cleaning it is available (for a fee). I wish there had been a vacuum in the condo for our use. They do provide a dustpan & broom, but that doesn't work on the carpet. One packet of laundry detergent was provided upon arrival.

The condo did have a few minor repair issues, though the only one we notified the company about was the problem w/the CD-player. Someone came quickly and when they couldn't repair it they replaced the entire stereo immediately. The others were towel racks that kept falling off the walls (but they had wall hooks so that was enough for us).

We didn't need to pay for A/C, since opening the windows and turning on the fans was enough to cool everything off.

The pool was very family-friendly, with a wading pool (18"), & a shallow 1/4-lap pool (deepest is 4'); there is also a spa pool that is a bit warmer but not too hot, as well as a small exercise room adjacent (has 3 machines and great water-soaking towels). They supplied 6 pool towels in the room which could be exchanged at any time at the front desk. Concierge staff at the pool was helpful when we asked for floatation devices for the kids (they let us know about the freebies before offering the rental supplies).

Building K did not overlook the golf course, so we didn't hear the lawn mowers, but it did overlook the main road so we could hear road traffic when the windows were open (next to no traffic at night on that road). I would suggest staying in this building b/c you have a view of both the bay and the volcano. It appeared that all 1-story condos are on the lower-level, accessed by a set of stairs going down from the ground level, so you may want to ask for a 2-story as we did.

A previous reviewer noted a cockroach. I think he may have seen the beetles that were common outside that periodically fly inside at night. I saw the size of Hawaiian cockroaches in Pahoa and trust me you'll know one when you see one! In one of the many informational brochures in the condo, they point out they spray for bugs monthly, but if you do have an infestation they'll come and take care of it.

The location is between the Kohala Resort Area and the Waimea/Kamuela area, so perfect for exploring either on day trips.

Since lodging was free, except for tax, -- thanks to my father-in-law (this is his timeshare facility) -- we were more than satisfied with the accommodations. I don't know how much these condos usually rent for, so my impression may have been different if we had to pay.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank CAHappy
Spring Lake, MI
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We spent a week at Paniolo Greens in Feb. of 2007 with friends. After reading reviews here and on the RCI review, we were a bit guarded in our expectations. We found that our accomodations were actually quite good. The view of the golf course with the ocean off in the distance was quite nice. The gas grill was well maintained and quite close to the condo for grilling. The mower did come out early every other day on the golf course, but it was not as annoying as construction or heavy traffic. The turkeys put on quite a show for us. The dishes/flatware only have service for 6 of each item, so there is no possibility of not washing the dishes for each meal if there are more than 3 people. The dryer doesn't work nearly as well as mine at home, but then it is in a unit used by different people every week. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2007
7 Thank SL MI Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Paniolo Greens Resort? Share your experiences!