“Enjoyed the Stay”

Paniolo Greens Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 21, 2006

We stayed at Paniolo Greens the first week of July, as part of a two week vacation in Hawaii celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. We used an RCI exchange to get this resort about two years ago. I wanted to have one week on the Big Island as part of our stay.
We had a two bedroom unit, upstairs, overlooking the 3rd hole of the golf course. The unit was clean, comfortable, and well equipped with towels, supplies, and utensils. There was a constant 10-20 mph breeze from the east, so we did not pay for the airconditioning. The staff was friendly and helpful.
We were first-timers to Hawaii and we decided to go with some of the tours that the resort offered in order to get a full experience.
We took the timeshare tour in order to get the discounts, but did not buy (we are Fairfield members). We took the Big Island tour (all day), the Seaquest snorkel tour (my favorite), and a luau. Jules was very informative and entertaining and Leslie signed us up for all our activities. We did reserve a helicopter tour prior to getting to the island through Blue Helicopters for the volcano.
The resort is about 10-15 minutes from the beaches near Waikoloa and about 30-45 minutes to Kona. You need to rent a car to enjoy the island. We enjoyed the stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17  Thank Danham13

Reviewed July 17, 2006

My husband and I and two friends stayed at Paniolo for 1 week. We enjoyed our stay. The condo was well equipped and clean. We requested NO cleaning during our stay, just clean towels. We preferred it that way. There is a washer/dryer in the unit if you need to wash anything. So, that helps to keep luggage to a minimum. Lugging bags through the airport is not our idea of fun. Each of us spent the week in Hawaii and each of us had just ONE carry on! It can be done. Try it, you'll love it. Hawaii is definitely casual.

Our unit overlooked the golf course and we could see Maui in the distance. Lovely views. IT IS NOT ONE THE BEACH. We knew this going in - no problem. The Big Island is BIG, so count on a rental car.

We didn't really use any of the on site facilities except the condo itself. We skipped the orientation breakfast and we never got hassled by timeshare sellers. Do your homework before you leave home as far as best restaurants, excursions, etc.

We are going back to Paniolo in January and look forward to another nice week. I really don't understand why some wrote such unfavorable reviews.

The only downside is the mowers early in the morning. Can't be helped - this is a golf resort. We plan to purchase a large fan at WalMart for 'white noise' this time. They are cheap and we will just leave it behind when we leave. We did not find that we needed AC at all. Nice breezes most of the time.

We recommend Paniolo for a pleasant, affordable stay.

• Stayed: February 2005
19  Thank mlrplast
Reviewed July 12, 2006

This is a two part review so bear with me.

My family of 4 plus niece and sister in law stayed at the Paniolo Greens in 2003. We actually had a good time at the condo: clean, close to shopping, nice beach etc. Pool was nice too.

OK, ready for the "Terrible" review? We were suckered at the sales presentation to join Shell Explorers and try a condo later for a week with Shell Vacation Club. We put a down payment, promised a free bonus week etc. But here is the kicker. We decided to pay equal payments to buy points for a stay at a Shell Vacation Club property. We were also told by the slick salesman that there was a money back guarantee that if we decided not to stay we would get our money back. OK, to make a long story short, we made all our payments and then were told the offer expired and we were out $1500. We have noever gotten satisfaction from them. My tax man says we make too much money to write it off as a bad debt.

Chalk that up to experience...

We have been very happy using RCI to find property to swap for our nice condo in Carlsbad, CA.

• Stayed: June 2003
16  Thank SDCalNative
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Stayed there for a week in June 2006. We would only stay there again if every other place on the Big Island was booked.

Here are some tips: Do NOT pay extra for the AC. By opening balcony doors, you can get sufficient cross-ventilation to be comfortable. It is typically very windy there. They get people to sign up for the AC (which is an extra $4-5 per day) because they completely close down each unit after cleaning it, which means it is very stuffy when you arrive.

DO NOT bring your own towels. The resort has blue towels, we brought two of our own grey towels and they disappeared at the midweek cleaning. Went to the office and was told they would look for them and call. Apparently, this is somewhat akin to OJ's search for the real killers.

BE ADVISED that the floor plans have the bedrooms, bathrooms and W/D on the second floor of the unit. Not a problem for my wife and me, but might be a concern for older guests.

DO NOT count on the activities center being at all helpful. We were simply browsing brochures when one of the high-pressure sales types button-holed us with a sales pitch for the time-shares. What an obnoxious tool he was. We just went down to the Bay Club to book our activities as we own there.

DO NOT leave the stupid parking tag hanging on your rear view if you rent a convertible. Just place it on your dash when you get out. For some reason, they don't bother to take license plates down, so if you forget to display the parking tag, some tool places a note under your dash every night. They also use numbered spaces, so hard could it be to verify your vehicle?

While staying there, we got a visit that we were playing our music too loud -- this was at 8:00 PM at night and it was being played at a lower level than adjoining televisions. Go figure.

Advantages: Pool is reasonably nice, but you have to pay to rent tennis racket, basketball, etc. Soon, I imagine they will charge to play ping pong, but still free for the time being. You can walk to the grocery store in Waikoloa easily, but for most activities, you'll have to travel (It's seven miles from the Waikoloa/A-bay/Hilton complex.) Kitchen is reasonably well-equipped. Our unit fronted onto the golf course and we could enjoy some nice sunrises. As an early riser, the maintenance equipment on the course didn't bother me.

Disadvantage: The quality of the workmanship in the units was quite shoddy -- the complex does not age well. As someone in the building trades, it's always disheartening to see poor workmanship.

• Stayed: June 2006
16  Thank TheNorsk
Reviewed July 5, 2006

How refreshing it is to walk into a unit and have everything in it sparkle and everything in the unit work. The views (golf course or ocean) are both great to look at. Watching the wild goats and wild turkeys on the golf course were the highlight of our stay. I would recommend this location. It is quiet and has optional air conditioning which we did not need due to delightful breezes.

10  Thank dalichandler
A TripAdvisor Member
venice ca
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I Went to Paniolo Greens prepared for the worst but hoping for the best after reading other travelers reviews on this site.

I spent the extra money on a convertible as suggested by one review and I am very happy that I did because the location requires drive time to get everywhere. Wonderful beaches and resorts are aprox 15-30 min from Paniolo Greens. The shopping center with market and several casual restaurants is only 5 min. drive. It took us aprox35 min. to get to airport w\out traffic.

The decor was simple and fine. White paint, cheerful bright comforters, clean sheets and towels. The living room had a comfortable pull out couch, large TV and nice radio\CD player. We had a med size balcony w\ table and 3 chairs over looking golf course just off of the living room.

The bed was comfortable and the place was pretty clean although we did need to scrub the refrigerator and shower with comet to make it smell better and for our own comfort.
The carpet was in good condition.

AC was not needed. We got a good cross breeze by opening the sliding doors to the 3 balconies and using the ceiling fans. We had 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms upstairs. Each bedroom had a very small balcony w\ sliding screen door to let in air but keep out bugs.

BUGGS: The resort states they spray regularly and ask guests to take precautions to help keep away bugs. I only found 1 very very very sm. bug in my room during my 7 day stay. We kept all food in fridge, took out garbage regularly and kept front door and screen doors closed as requested by resort and happily had no roach problems.

I did however find 1 small roach and 1 large roach in our rental car 10 min. after driving it off of the rental lot. I recommend you ask if the car has been sprayed and keep all your bags closed at all times-in car and in resort.

Over all, the rooms were not bad but it was NOT a 4 or 5 star property as advertised. I would compare it to a Holiday INN.

I WILL NOT RETURN TO THIS RESORT for the following reasons:

1. The location requires more drive time then I want on a vacation.

2. The resort has NO ELEVATOR so I had to drag my bags up 3 outside flights of stairs and 1 inside flight of stairs.

3. NOT WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A 4 OR 5 STAR PROPERTY

4. NOISE FACTOR: It is very hard to sleep in until 6:30am if your bedroom is on the golf course side the country club mows the green every day at 5am!!!!!

I We spoke to Paniolo Greens about this and they explained that it is the country clubs policy which is separate from Paniolo Greens and they have no control over their grounds schedule. I guess if you close the windows and use the AC maybe you could sleep through the noise.

On the parking lot side the bedrooms had less noise except on day 3 a very loud and rude family checked in next door. They woke me up at 4am yelling back and forth to each other from the car to the house for almost 30min. They were on their way to see the volcano and spoke to each other as if it was 4 in the afternoon and they had to communicate above the sound of a racing train. Several days later they did the same thing at 5:00am when they were on their way to a boating trip.

Again, if I had the window closed and AC on I may have been able to sleep through their inconsiderate behavior.

Yes, there is still construction going on but we were not disturbed from our room location.

5. I like to exercise on vacation and the workout room is very small with 3 old machines. I had to wait to use the 1 treadmill and although I got a decent workout on it I would like better facilities.

However, I noticed many people walking around the property in the morning for exercise and they seemed satisfied with that. The pool was also fine and big enough to do laps if you want.

I love the big island and I will return as soon as I can but I will find other accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We spent a night at the Paniolo Greens Resort in Waikoloa Hawaii. This made a good stopover point for us, as we had just arrived in Kona at the airport, and were on our way to Hilo and didn't want to drive all the way the same day we arrived. We have two teen sons, and this place is perfect for a family: we had a two bedroom and two bathroom condo unit, which was quiet, modern, clean and comfortable. We could prepare a simple dinner and breakfast and not have to eat out (there is a grocery store a short drive away).

The only downsides: this is not on the beach (but a good beach is only a 10 min drive away); and the wind seems incessant.

14  Thank KarenGH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Kona Coast Resort
Kona Coast Resort
#2 of 36 in Kailua-Kona
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Paniolo Greens Resort? Share your experiences!