“Loved it!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Livermore, California
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I joined my 2 adult children and spouses and 20 month old grandson for a wonderful week here the end of April. We stayed on the lower level, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit. We used the BBQ out back several times, and my grandson loved chasing the wild turkeys in the evening. The unit was the perfect size for each of us to have some privacy but also gave us plenty of room when we wanted to do something together. The location is ideal. The unit was clean and nicely decorated. We did a few day trips (Hilo, Kona) but also spent some lovely afternoons hanging out at the pool relaxing. We never needed the a/c...the fans worked perfectly. Each room had their own TV. Every member of the staff I met was friendly, helpful and very professional. I would love to stay here again!

2 Thank Peggy R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This place was more than perfect for me. Great Staff, service, accomodations, etc...I was leary based on reviews from other folks, and now wonder if some people are just super picky (or snobby?) or perhaps since these are condos and seperately owned maybe they vary a bit. Mine was absolutely perfect. Upon check in, I was given an option of one level or two. I chose two level just to make myself excercise and go up and down stairs which was totally fine. The full kitchen enabled me to not have to go to high priced restaurants and so the higher market priced groceries were not an issue. I was sure to travel the whole island and pick up very good priced fresh fruits and veggies at all the various farmers markets on the island (also you can even rent a cooler at this place for something like $5, bring home better priced groceries from a visit to Hilo). Actually a good location to get to all the places this wonderful island has to offer. As a traveler that has always checked luggage (when it was free) I did "carry on" luggage this trip. If I had realilzed I was supplied with a washer and dryer, it would have been even easier for me as I didn't need to use all the clothes I brought since I was able to wash and rewear my favorites. It was super to have washer and dryer to clean my clothes while I was back at the condo and not have to waste time going to a laundry mat. The staff and service at this resort was incredibly friendly and efficient. I must note that I am an easy going person and appreciate the work that anyone does, and I am not very demanding which I think plays a big part in how I am treated. I am guessing that people who commented on bad service must be easily irritable and a little demanding of good, hardworking folks as I have never experienced bad service when I appreciate and understand so many aspects of what it's like to work in various industries. Years ago, I spent $250 a night at the Sheraton Waikoloa, and the room quality, service, and amenities were no way near comparible for what I got at Paniolo Greens. Really, when I go to Hawaii, it's not to stay in the hotel, this is basically a place to sleep, shower and unwind at the end of the day, yet this place was so nice to come back to and spend time if I wanted, as well as to wake up and start my day. Honestly, at first I was a little put off by the charge for air-conditioning if I wanted it, and found that I didn't need it anyway, because during the day, when it was the hottest, I was out enjoying this beautiful island. In the evenings, upon return, I put on the ceiling fans and opened the sliding doors coupled with the usual winds in this area, it was nice and cool, perfect! I slept great, even used a blanket. I plan and hope stay here again, and again, so astounded at what I got for the price. Loved this place! This is hands down the best place I have EVER stayed, even compared to my rare stays at high priced swanky resorts. To the complainers, I say; "a little peace, love, and understanding can go a long way, resulting in how others treat you and enjoying life"

Room Tip: If you have the slightest issue with stairs, choose a one level room. Before wasting money and elec...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank janweed
GLASGOW
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in two bedroom two story unit. Ample towels, pool/beach towels, housewares, flat screen tv, free wifi, washer/dryer, clean and very quiet. The location is ideal. Only 6 miles/10 minutes to the main highway, 35 to 45 minutes to Kona Airport, 45-50 minutes to Waipio Valley, 30 minutes to Waimea, 60-70 minutes to Hilo, and there is a full-fledged grocery store 1/4 mile away (Subway and Java Lava Cafe are only two eateries I saw). Hapuna Beach 20 minutes away, as are other beaches along HWY 19. Whew! And it is cool at night so did not need to pay the extra 5$/day for air conditioning (ceiling fans in every room). Would definitely stay there again. Did hear turkeys gobbling in the morning, but it was time to get up and get the day started anyhow.

3 Thank KenBabich
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The units in this condo haven’t seen much updating since we stayed here many years ago. This is a convenient location if you want to drive to Waimea, Hilo or Waikoloa. The bathrooms are both upstairs and the stairs are steep. We had to pay $5 a day extra so that we could cool off the upstairs. When the upstairs was cool enough for sleeping the downstairs was freezing.
The pool area was quite nice and there are a number of craft activities available for a fee.

1 Thank bczican
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stay a lot on the Big Island and primarily in Waikoloa so I can offer a great comparison. This resort for the price is PERFECT for our family. We stayed in a two bedroom unit that was two story.

Pros:
Clean, Spacious Condos
Daily Maid Service
Close to the best beaches
Close to Hilo Day Trip visits
All amenities provided
Price booked through shellhospitality.com great! Look for promos
Pool
Beach rentals, umbrellas, ect. ok prices
Beautiful resort on a golf course
Close to King and Queen's Marketplace (5-10min)
Laundry in Unit

Cons:
Kitchen is a little dated but still functional
Must have a car to stay here, but everyone should anyway on this island
Local market is outrageously priced, go to Costco and Safeway before
Stairs - Stairs inside and out (good to know for elderly, disabled, and kids)

We had some trouble with our key card the first day but after that everything was perfect.

For under a hundred bucks a small family can stay in hawaii in a one bedroom and a little more for a two bedroom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HawaiiStateOfMind
Lantzville, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you do not mind to rent a car for going to beautiful not too crowded beaches (10-20km) or the mountains (30-100km) I recommend to try the paniolo greens. The turkeys on the 36-hole golf course will wake you up early enough to go for a swim and a hike in one single day. A fresh
breeze from the 4000m-mountains is a perfect air conditioning.

Room Tip: I like the two story corner suites 2/2 in the buildings C-D.
1 Thank Fred H
North coast, oregon
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed in a two story villa on the golf course with a peek of the ocean from the upper level balcony. It was a nice and quiet setting, the grounds were well-maintained, the pool was pleasant, and the accommodations while a little older were still in good shape. It was great having a full kitchen and it had everything we would have wanted to have. It was a home away from home. It was a little out of the way, but we decided that it was nice to get away from it all after a day of activities.

Room Tip: I would certainly want to stay in the two story villas - the first story rooms looked like they coul...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Paniolo Greens Resort? Share your experiences!