“Friendly staff, almost private beach, great pools, wonderful accomodations!!!!!”

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We checked in to this resort for our 30th anniversary and it was "paradise". We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to stay here. We are loyal Marriott Rewards members and we used our points to stay here. We were upgraded to an ocean-front room. The balcony had wonderful heavy wicker furniture to enjoy the view. Sunsets on the beach were amazing! The bed was extremely comfortable. It was a very quiet room and we could not hear anyone around us. The pools were fabulous and the service was excellent! There were specials at the restaurant every night and the food was delicious. Towels are provided for the beach, pool, or even if you are going to another beach on the island. You can just check them out and return them! No need to pack your own! Shopping is close by with the King's Shops and the Queen's Market. They have wonderful restaurants, grocery/markets, gift shops, high-end shopping (Tiffany"s, etc.), as well as a Food Court. All of these are within waling distance, but we had rented a car to be able to drive around the island. There is also a place at the King's Shops to rent bicycles and mopeds. The worst part of the experience here was having to leave!! I loved every minute of my time at the Waikoloa Beach Resort and Spa!! The staff was amazing!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2010

The location of this resort is a little out of the way, but they definetly make up for it in other details. Its about a 15 minute drive north of the Kona aiport or 25 minutes from Kona itself. There are shops and restuarants around the resort, but most are spendy and don't open for breakfast. Unless you want to spend $23 (USD) for a breakfast buffet, plan ahead or bring something to eat, otherwise plan to drive 10-20 to get a morning meal.
The hotel itself is open and airy, the staff were gracious and the room was great! We had a king size bed in a "garden view" room. It was the plushish and most comfortable I've ever slept in! Really! And talk about pillows, there were at least 5 pillows of various shapes and sizes for my husband and me each! Plus you could spot the ocean a little bit from the room too.
And the bathroom was set up great too. The sink and large countertop were set outside of the tub and toilet which were in their own space behind a door. The lighting was great and not only was the mirror large above the sink, but a full length mirror was also on the bathroom door. The towels were placed under the sink, so don't forget to grab one before you head in the shower.
The beach is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel, but the landscaping and paths they have are beautiful to look at. The pool and hot tub are open 24 hours there too, so that was another great plus!
Overall it was a great place to stay and would definetly consider it again! Only downside was the location, which can quickly be forgetten once you arrive.

1 Thank Jagottschalk
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed on 2 other islands and this one was by far the best. The beach is the best I have ever seen. You can drive everywhere easily. 2 hours to Volcanoes National Park, but what a beautiful drive. Be sure to get the breakfast included option. The breakfast is awesome. the other resort areas get lots of rain. No rain here, actually at this resort it is sunny 350 days a year.

Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Shelly H. Michigan
Just returned from 5 wonderful days on the Big Island. I am a very picky and selective traveler. I researched for months reading reviews, magazines and online comments about the best places to stay in Hawaii before settling. I must say that The Waikoloa Marriott Beach Resort & Spa was an excellent choice. The grounds were immaculate and the resort very peaceful. The location was just perfect offering all the expected amenities and desires of a vacation experience including a private beach, beautiful pools, and direct across the street access to two shopping areas that included a mini Macy's, Louis Vutton, Coach, general store , several restaurants & etc...

Our king oceanview room was clean, updated and nicely appointed. The staff very friendly and provided the Aloha experience you would expect in Hawaii. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone but especially couples desiring rest & relaxation from the stress of city living. I did not mind the $20 resort fee that included self parking and internet access. Paradise is worth the premium especially when you expect it... I appreciated the fact that there were not many children at all. The facility is not as large as the Hilton down the road where most of the kids probably were but it is definitely large enough.
My husband and I were able to just relax and enjoy being in Paradise away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life...There is not much night life except for a great Luau, but that is not what I'm looking for on an Hawaiian Island.... I want peace, beauty, tranquility and the ability to just relax and enjoy God's creation...plus water activities, golf and eating. This resort area offered all of this and more.... I was torn btwn the Big Island and Maui, but after this trip I will definitely return to this hotel on the Big Island the best choice in the area by far......

2 Thank howardm123
new york
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I think about this hotel quite often. It was our honeymoon. We came here after just an ok experience at the sheraton maui. We were on our honeymoon so we splurged a lil more for the marriott on big island and we absolutely LOVED it! They upgraded us bc we were on our honeymoon and were just so welcoming. It was so peaceful and relaxing i wish i can return at this moment. The rooms are pretty and the beds were heaven. I cant even ask for more! i thought this place was perfect for a honeymoon and also the walk to the nearby shops wasnt bad either. the pool was awesome!!! the beach was small but with the awesome pools i didnt even go to the beach. i would totally recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The hotel has several saltwater pools with water slide, nice beach access- you could see turtles swimming in the morning sun, friendly staff. Luau was fun, food was good, but not authentic like other luaus(Old Lahaina on Maui). Our room had an ocean view with king size bed and double sleeper sofa with fridge, coffee maker, double sinks in bathroom. The bathroom was very clean, but the room itself was dusty. As the air conditioning ran during the night, we all had a difficult time with allergies which is why I rated sleep quality lower. The location is perfect and within a short walk to both Kings shops and Queens shops with great restaurants and stores. Overall, the hotel was a great value for our family of 3.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Wasilla, AK
Reviewed April 12, 2010

This hotel was the only hotel we could find on the Kona island that had a beach on it, although we did most of our research on travel booking websites. The pictures make it look better than it really is. The lobby is beautiful, as well as the deck and pools leading out, but the beach is less than fantastic. This hotel is great if you want to park yourself on the beach the entire time, but if you have kids and are looking for fun stuff to do I would stay at the Hilton, which is just a short walk along the beautiful coastline away. The one big ticket for this hotel was that the beach is not open to the public - so there is wildlife galore in the water! We saw a ton of sea turtles that literally walked up on the beach in front of us as well as snorkeled with them, saw a million different kinds of fish, sea cucumbers, manta rays, and when we went out on the snorkel cruise, dolphins and sea urchins. I recommend doing the different things the tiny shack on the beach has to offer. Another great thing about this place was that it was incredibly quiet. I did feel a little looked down upon by the locals, but I heard that was to be expected. The Kings & Queens Markets were right around the corner and across the street, but they're nothing to lose your socks over. In the Kings Market they have an abundance of fish in and around the place, so I bought some buns and fed them, that kept me entertained for about an hour! This was my first adult vacation by myself with my partner, so we had a blast just hanging out, but if you're an experience traveller looking for a lot to do I would recommend going to a different side of the island, if not a different island completely.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roguelicious4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!