“Very disappointing for a Marriott property”

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
Bel Air, Maryland
“Very disappointing for a Marriott property”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on our first trip to Hawaii during Christmas break 2012. My family of 4 traveled from the east coast, spent one night in Oahu and then flew to Hilo to do some sightseeing there. After an activity packed day we drove across the island to Waikoloa to the hotel, arriving there at about 12:30 am. When I arrived I was told that they had our room which was an oceanfront king. I explained that I had four people, and we booked a room with two beds months ago. At that point I was told that was not a guarantee, merely a request and I asked where exactly my two children would sleep. I was told the hotel was completely booked, but eventually they found another room--not oceanfront--that had a sleeper sofa and king bed. At 1am we got to the room and went to make the sleeper sofa and found blood on the mattress. When I called to complain to the front desk I was told to flip the mattress. At 7am I got a call from the front desk--different clerk--to tell me the difference in the room cost and ask me if I still wanted the room type I had booked--which I did--and then was told it would not be available during our stay. They woke up our entire family to tell me that they didn't have our room! I went to the front desk to complain and was asked if I wanted to send an email, which I did not, but then spoke to a supervisor who was very nice and gave us a complimentary luau. I know we would not stay at this hotel again and was happy to leave after the two nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We enjoy our stay at the Mariott. Pool were big and heated. There could have been more shade by the pool or at the beach. Nice beach activities for the kids, kayak, paddle board, glass bottom boat, etc... Very nice location, near variety of restaurants, grocery stores. Perfect weather! We would definetly go back .

3 Thank anniegamtl
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We are big Marriott people, due to frequent travel. Based upon some of the reviews, I was hesitant to stay there. Upon entering the property, I immediately forgot any review that was less that favorable! The open air lobby was modern and pleasing to the eye. The check in process was seamless, and the front desk staff was beyond amazing. The room was large, and also well appointed, and the decor a cross between island and modern. It was clean, and the view was fantastic, from our garden view room (which was overlooking the garden with an ocean view!!). The pool area wa crowded, but hey. It's spring break! The one annoying element about the pool is like that at any resort: people get towels at 7AM, place them on chairs, and don't return for several hours. I can play that game, too! The staff by the pool was attentive, and like ANY resort, a slightly larger tip on the front end will result in the pool staff to frequent your requests. We ordered breakfast room service, and the food was food, fresh, and the delivery staff beyond accommodating. For dinner, we elected to go to the King's Court shopping area across the street. Tip: there are few dining options in this area of the Big Island!! Make reservations, or go early or late. The restaurants are CROWDED. Again, it's Spring Break time...we expected crowds. Back to the resort...not sure what the negative reviews were about. People must have super high expectations of absolute perfection to give this place anything but Very Good-to-Excellent reviews. If you're that particular, spend the $$ and stay at the uber-expensive Four Seasons, and quit griping. Marriott has done a fabulous job with this property, and we would totally come back here if ever visiting the Big Island again!

Room Tip: Ask and you might receive...Garden views actually have a nice view of the ocean!
2 Thank BeachLeo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My boyfriend and his parents (two rooms) just stayed at this Marriott for four nights while we were visiting the Big Island of Hawaii. In full disclosure, I have never been a huge fan of Marriott properties. I always found the food terrible and the rooms and hotel itself just okay. However, my boyfriend travels and earns a lot of points with Marriott, so this is my second stay at a Marriott since Dec. (I wrote a review for the Tampa airport Marriott, which was a great room and hotel). All of that is to say, that I am changing my mind on Marriotts. I think they are stepping up their game to compete with some of the traditionally nicer hotel chains like HIlton.

This Marriott has an open air lobby like most hotels in Hawaii, which is lovely. You walk downstairs to a bar, restaurant, pools, and the beach. One drawback is there is only one restaurant. We only had dessert one night, which was really good. Try the creme brulee trio if you have a sweet tooth! We did have drinks at the bar a couple of nights, and the servers were prompt and friendly. We never had a regular meal, so I have no idea about the food. However, the drinks were tropical and fruity like a cocktail should be in Hawaii! The bar is not close to the beach, but you can get plastic cups to take your drink down to the water's edge to watch the sunset. The property is really pretty as there is a path through lava fields. The lava fields are really amazing, so worth taking a stroll down to the water even if you don't swim in the ocean. The two pools are nice and clean, but nothing fancy. The one thing lacking in this area is definitely landscaping. I like the pool area to be really lush with plants, but it is not here. It seems a bit bare. They give you as many towels as you need, and of course you can order food and drinks down by the pools.

As for the room, we had a nice queen bed that faced the balcony, which I thought was nice instead of facing a tv or a wall as is common in most hotel rooms. The room was a nice size for two people with a table and chair along with a desk, another chair, and a tv. In the bathroom was a little frig to store drinks, food, etc. The bathroom had a regular tub and shower (nothing particularly amazing), but the hot water was plentiful and the water pressure was great. I found our room to be very quiet, and we never heard people talking in the hallway. I happen to be partial to those flat pillows in hotels now, so I slept well each night.

Two last things to say about our stay is that the hotel staff was great. From the valet, to the front desk, to the housekeepers, and servers, everyone was friendly and polite. They all were attentive and helpful. I really appreciated their willingness to answer questions or get you what you asked for.

Lastly, I did not love the location overall but mainly because I am not a shopper. If you are a shopper there are two sets of stores within a five minutes walks. You can find high-end like Coach and Tiffany or a bit more casual. We did eat at the Roy's Waikoloa, which you can walk too. We also ate at Merrieman Cafe. Both of these places are solidly good. There is a little market and a Starbucks you can also walk too. I just wanted to be closer to the town of Kailua-Kona, but you are about a 30 minutes drive to the north, maybe 35 minutes. The Marriott is about 15 or so minutes drive north of the airport. You do drive over really cool lava fields right along the ocean. Also, while you stay here take the five minute walk to the petroglyph fields and see the ancient carvings in the lava fields, very cool.

Room Tip: As with any hotel in the Hawaiian islands, if you can get an ocean view that is the best. Each of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicole G
Lyman, South Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The room was pleanty large without being to big. It was very clean and the grounds were very well kept. Every thing in the room worked just fine.The beach is an easy walk and small but nice. The pool area has a "kiddie" pool and a water slide that the kids seem to enjoy, I didn't use it. They have a nice breakfast every morning, you can order off the menu or they have a very nice buffet. I ate off the buffet, they have eggs and omlets cooked to order. Every things was fresh. I ate most of my evening meals at other resturants but had a good meal one night there, with a lovely sunset - you are on the western side of the island. They also have a nice out door bar that is covered, had cocktails there as well. I did go to the Luau there, it was nice but I've been to better.
You are a bit of a drive to Kona where most of the resturants are but there are several nice ones very close by. If you buy your gas there be prepaired to pay for the convenience of it, fill up in Kona, there is gas very close to the airport.
All said I would go there again if going to the Big Island. I staied there for a week. Good value.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor with a garden view. I enjoyed it and it was less expensive as well.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had a 4 day trip to this hotel in mid march 2013. Must admit this is first time in many many years that a Marriott Hotel has really disappointed me. Hotel is tired. Has look of a early 1990's resort. Drab lobby. Rooms sorely in need of updating. And my biggest gripe there is only one food venue. So if you tire of eating the un-exciting and expensive food in their only restaurant you must a walk a couple of blocks to the local shopping center to get relief. A small hotel of a minor chain this would be ok. But a Marriott flagship at a major tourist destination that's just a shame. I am a senior frequent travelor at Marriotts all over the world. This hotel does not enhance the Brand.

• Stayed March 2013
fort worth
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at Marriot over Spring break with 2 sons (11 and 13 yrs). We considered Hilton next door but so glad we chose Marriot . Hilton is beautiful but very large and it takes lots of walking or scheduling hotel transit to get somewhere.
At Marriot We stayed in pool view (which also gave great ocean view). Parking, pool, and beach were all easily accessible. It is the closest Hotel to Lava Lava Club and King/Queen shops. Ponds and bay were very peaceful for beach walking. We saw several sea turtles, fish, urchins,ect in the water. The beach is lava and rock with the sand a grainy salt and pepper texture. I recommend water shoes.
Rooms are older with Tube TV and no wifi, but exceptionally clean. Small balcony but great views. Beds extremely comfortable. Refrigerator in room. Free wifi is offered in lobby/lounge area which is open air.
Customer service was very friendly. We had a late flight and due to delay of first flight we missed dinner. Everything closes down early in Waikoloa (by 11 pm an it was 10:50 and we were only half way from Airport) with hungry boys. Hotel bar took our order over the phone on route from airport and delivered it to the front desk at our arrival time. This friendly service continued during the entire stay.
Hotel food was good to average with half price days and happy hour appetizers/drinks. The lobster and crab rolls were delicious. Nice luau that wasn't too large and had pretty sunset.
Pool is open 24 hours a day. Wasn't ever noisy though. Pool service stops t 6, but open air bar is near pool or you can bring our own drinks.
Tip: go to intro breakfast. They give you a map to island with highlighted attractions and estimated drive times. They have to attend 2 tours a month so they can fill you in and book any tours out are curious about.

2 Thank slev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!