“Beautiful resort, great staff, clean and the most comfortable beds ever...”

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed 11 nights at this hotel. It was during a busy time and we were at first disappointed when we found out our room balcony had the picture perfect view of a... rooftop. And it was near the elevators which woke us up in the morning.

After speaking to a Manager, they were able to move us to another room that day.. we opted to wait for another king size bed 3 days later, but they were very accommodating.

The resort itself is excellent, very clean rooms, great shower/bath and the bed is heavenly. The brackish pools were incredible (no chlorine to kill your hair and skin!) and the hot tubs got lots of use.

Only a short walk to a decent grocery store and a good selection of restaurants nearby. We went to the Wednesday Luau and it was great food.

I would go back here again in a heartbeat. Oh - and it's on the beach so you don't have to wander far for your sun and sand!!

Phenomenal food at the restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator or the front entrance - too noisy.
There are newer reviews for Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 27, 2013

good hotel. Had a room with a garden view which was quiet, view was ok but don't spend much time in the room anyway. the room itself was fine nothing special but adequate for the purpose . breakfast was included in the price and was a good buffet.
didn't eat any evening meals in the hotel as there is plenty of choice within five minutes walk ofthe hotel.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here for only one night but I would not be inclined to return for business or pleasure. There is no wifi in the rooms. I was here for business so I would have liked wifi, but even a pleasure traveler who wants to surf the web, use a tablet, or download a book on their Kindle has to do so sitting at the desk and not on the bed, chaise, or balcony chairs. And the wired HSI never did get connected, so no web connectivity at all. The furniture and walls are all banged up. Lighting in the bathroom is atrocious. The toilet and tub/shower are separate from the sink area, and the actual *bath* room has one small sconce on the wall opposite the tub. If you’re in the shower with the curtain pulled, you’re practically in the dark. The TV is not HD and there are no premium channels or pay movies. There are also no electrical outlets near the bed or nightstand, so no charging the phone or iPad near the bed, which can be an issue if you want to use your phone as an alarm or have to answer it at night while it’s charging. Note the $25 daily resort fee, which comes up on the Marriott site, but which was not noted on the third-party sites I looked at. The Caesar salad from the bar, the only restaurant that was all that was available the Sunday I was here, was mediocre at best (limp, warm lettuce) and the service was slow. The good: the staff was great, always kind; the lobby and lounge areas are large with plenty of seating and gathering space if needed; really comfy bed; empty mini-fridge and safe in the rooms; the grounds are lovely. While the property is far removed from Kona and KOA (about a 30-minute drive), there are some shops and restaurants within walking distance, including a great little grocery store that has pretty much everything you might need as a traveler. But for the hotel itself, overall I expect a bit more from a Marriott.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gallivant3r
Reviewed February 25, 2013

To be fair to the hotel my husband and I were a bit under the weather at different points of the trip so perhaps that played a part in our opinions. The weather, which is obviously out of their control, had a role too. We checked in at approximately 7pm. The line wasn't long but it wasn’t moving fast either. Once at the front of the line the young lady was very friendly and gave us a voucher for champagne because we were on our honeymoon.

We were exhausted and decided to order room service. I ordered food for myself and explained that my husband was not well and requested toast, which was not on the menu. They sent up several slices of toast with butter and jam at no cost to us. I was very appreciative of this. The next morning I had to attend breakfast alone, as my husband was still not well. The hostess noticed I was alone and asked why. I explained the situation to her and she was very sweet and sat me with an equally sweet waitress named Miriam. Breakfast was included in our stay so Miriam insisted on providing me with several containers and cups to bring back. I filled them with fresh fruit and simple bread items. I also returned to the room with juice for my hubby. We were able to have breakfast together for the rest of our stay. The food and service was consistently good. Unfortunately the awesome food staff is the only stellar thing to report.

The front desk and concierge desk, although nice, were extremely slow. (20 minutes spent as third or second in line). Perhaps staff should be added. We also paid for an ocean view room that was allegedly upgraded. Unless you craned your neck to the right far enough or had x-ray vision to see through the building in front of us, I don't see how the room could be classified as ocean view. The room itself was clean but noisy at night due to high winds. I think a critter also made its way into the duct system, perhaps escaping the winds, as I heard a scurrying sound as well. The winds were high the entire stay. At one point pool furniture actually became airborne at struck a small child.

We had booked a luau at the hotel which was moved inside because of the winds. Although it’s understandable it is disappointing. Instead of a luau "under the stars” it’s in a conference room where you sit at round tables. Seating is first come first serve regarding seating. So people who came in later had to face away from the stage at the round tables. There is a photographer that takes photos for purchase before seating as well as a woman giving out shell leis. We declined getting our photo taken and that seemed to annoy the shell lei girl. We didn’t think much of it until another couple at our table mentioned that they didn't take a photo but were given leis. I feel that if the show is moved inside for any reason Marriot should either lower the price or comp its guests something extra. There was an opportunity to switch dates but it was windy our entire stay so the outcome would be the same.

On our last night we redeemed our honeymoon drink coupon. I don’t drink and my husband is not a big fan of champagne so we opted for one regular pina colada and one virgin. Apparently a regular pina colada costs more than a glass of champagne and we had to pay an additional $5. Marriott’s nice gesture felt more like nickel and dimming.

In our final hours there we decided to go to the pool. We had not been able to enjoy the grounds yet due to the wind. The pools were lovely but chilly. The hot tub was great but it was filled with children. I love kids but most hotels don’t allow children under a certain age in Jacuzzis. I could understand them wanting to get warm(that’s why I went in) but ten kids splashing and doing hand stands is a bit much.

This hotel is a bit far from Kona and charges $25 per night. Overall we were disappointed with our stay. If not for the delightful morning breakfast staff the rating would be lower.

1  Thank MingMing376
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I just recently returned from a trip to the Big Island where we elected to stay at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott. The grounds are beautiful and check-in was very pleasant and easy. The valets at our arrival were not very helpful except to valet park the car. Our room had a great view from the 6th floor overlooking the pools with an ocean view. The balcony is very small with only 2 chairs and a small table. Nice sized bathroom but the appropriate amenities. The bed was very comfortable with lots of nice pillows and a duvet with the only problem being that it was so low to the floor. The TV was the old style (not flat screen) which took up space on the dresser. it would be nice to have it wall mounted and there was plenty of wall space to do that. The restaurant left a lot to be desired (why 45 minute wait with 5 available tables?) and is very pricey (breakfast buffet at $29? Ouch.). Best to walk down to Lava Lava for meals.

Room Tip: 6th Floor overlooking pool was nice except for the wind.
1  Thank lighthousepam
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here 5 nights on points. The rooms were clean and not too small. Yes, there is an old style tube TV, go outside, you are in Hawaii. There was a $25/day resort fee which was lowered to $17 for Marriott Gold members.

Pluses
-beautiful beach and grounds
-nice pools
-perfect sunset
-price is reasonable for Waikoloa
-very close to shopping (walking)
-courteous and helpful staff

Minus
-one restaurant, not very good
-housekeeping of room wasn't impressive
-rooms seemed a little dated, couldn't turn off reading lights without getting up.
-resort fee (parking) seemed pretty high
-beach shop had very high prices ($7/hour to rent a mask/snorkel)

All in all, a good value on a great beach. Not a super high end or over the top fancy, but a nice property that should fit the many needs.

3  Thank Minn_Duke
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This place is a lot further from kona than I thought. $65 by taxi from the airport so be aware of that when booking. Staff were unfriendly and unhelpful and you could see they actively sought out the big tippers. Grounds are beautiful and well maintained and rooms spacious and clean but that's about the only positive thing I have to say. We booked under an advertised special with "$300 "resort credit" but it wasn't explained to us that this was for food and valet parking only hence we were left with a larger than expected bill when checking out. If you are going to see the Big Island then you need a car and it pays to make a few calls to places in Kona since they only offer hertz which was pricey. That said, make sure you don't get caught with phone charges where they charge you whether the call connects or not...pick up the phone and dial and you are charged.
Overall, a very unwelcoming stay ..the place lacks warmth and sincerity.if you want to lie by a pools and have dollars to spend then this place would suit you fine. Not for us though

1  Thank Mysterymouse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!