“Nice, comfortable stay”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Nice, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is much smaller than the Hilton but it has a great beach which the Hilton lacks. Their infinity pool is also small but I loved it. They have three jacuzzis and one pool with a slide. The bay is really calm in the morning and has really good snorkeling. The rooms are clean and even the garden view room had a view of the ocean. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned from 10 days at Waikoloa Beach Marriott. The hotel was not what I have become used to in my many years of staying at Marriotts and definitely not what we expected for the amount of points used to stay there. The grounds are beautiful; the pool area and pools were great, and ALL staff I encountered were very friendly and responsive to requests, including a request to change rooms due to very bad beds. Although the beds are advertised as the "Marriott bed," they were definitely NOT the beds I have experienced at other Marriotts: too low to the floor, VERY soft, felt like there were holes or permanent depressions in the beds (it seemed like I was sleeping IN the bed, not ON the bed--just very old beds), and it is WAY past time to start using fitted bottom sheets. The bottom sheets were never tucked in, I suspect because the mattresses are too heavy for the maids to lift--I tried and I couldn't lift even a corner of the mattress. Carpets are showing heavy wear and there were stains in the common areas. NO flat screen TV, no movies in the room, and no way to connect personal electronic devices to the TV to watch movies from Hulu or other sources. Rooms were poorly lighted--hard to read unless sitting on the lanai or at the desk right by the lamp, and the toilet/shower area had only one small light bulb. We only used food service in the pool area (and the service and the food were good) with the exception of one experience with room service--the food was just average and the fries were cold and old--we requested new fries with the same result). We prefer to drive to restaurants where the locals eat. Unfortunate that the resort is so isolated. Walked on the beach once, but were not impressed so drove to other, very good beaches close by for snorkeling and body surfing. We did like having a microwave and a refrigerator in the room--that's a real plus for us. Enjoyed visiting with Johnette and her excellent staff at the pool hut; also enjoyed Sean and staff at valet parking. Beau at front desk was also very helpful and friendly. To summarize, this location (which I was told was an Outrigger before it was a Marriott) has potential but needs a large investment by Marriott in the building itself. I think a lot of the "old hotel" vibe must be left over from the Outrigger. We will probably return to the Big Island in the future, but unlikely that we will stay at this Marriott unless major changes happen.

Room Tip: North wing, pool view, 5th floor, also provided a partial ocean view; quiet, not too much pool noise...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank P A
West Union, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had a lot of AMEX regular reward points so we decided to use some for four days at the Marriot Waikoloa. I made the reservation on the road and had no paper, just email confirmation from AMEX Travel Co. where I used points for the hotel.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very presentable person at the desk (A__) who could not find the reservation at first but then, apparently looking on another computer page, said that it was “an Orbitz reservation.” She said this like there was something wrong with that and I said I made the reservation with AMEX Travel and I did not know anything about Orbitz, (never having used Orbitz). She said again that it was an Orbitz reservation in a fairly condescending manner and there was no indication of AMEX Travel. I said I have the email confirmation on my hand held device. I said that my understanding of the paid reservation is for 4 nights, an ocean view room, taxes and fees paid and breakfast for two for the period. She said that is showed the ocean view room but that taxes, fees and breakfast were not included. I said that I can show her my email and I got the device and showed her. She noted that the AMEX Travel email said nothing about taxes, fees or breakfast and I said that well, it would not since it is just a confirmation. She said all that could be done was for me to contact AMEX Travel and have them communicate with the hotel via email or facsimile. So, believing in AMEX, I checked in, showing my Card, my Marriot card and drivers license. The attitude of this person was kind of creepy and I guess she believed I was trying to scam her out of something. In all my travels I have not ever felt the weird vibes coming from this person.
We get to the room and I call AMEX Travel. The first person said he knew nothing about Orbitz and that the AMEX Travel reservation did show taxes and fees paid but no breakfasts. Well what can they do about this? He says nothing further about the taxes and fees (hundreds of dollars) situation and says that all he can do is to offer a $50.00 voucher under the circumstances. Since this is ridiculously unacceptable, I ask to speak to a supervisor (“Jeff”) who confirms that yes indeed AMEX Travel make all its reservations through Orbitz but that all they can do is the $50.00 Voucher. (I mention that I am a “Cardmember” for more than 37 years. My wife and I, becoming increasingly uncomfortable, say that what we want now is to have the entire transaction canceled since we do not have to stay at this hotel with the rude people and our growing dissatisfaction. Jeff says that he will have to confirm with the hotel that we can get a full refund and says he will call back. He does about 10 minutes later and says all is OK, to leave and a full refund of the points equivalent in cash about ($1300.00) will be refunded to the AMEX card. I repeat the deal that all will be refunded and he agrees. Then I say that what else I need to do to confirm this since I have no paper and it is all just an oral agreement. He says that he is documenting everything in the file and we have an incident number and the original confirmation number and we should simply leave and it will be OK. So we leave more than an hour after arrival and after some uncomfortable moments at the desk, I am able to tell the valet parking guys that at least they treated us like the professionals they are. The valet guy apologizes. As an aside, how ridiculous is it that the first contact person at AMEX Travel did not know that his company uses Orbitz to make all their reservations?

So we arranged to go back to a family member's after dinner and reviewed my email. The email message from AMEX Travel says that I get a refund of less than two hundred dollars. Of course, I am fairly concerned and call them back. And of course, Jeff is not available and the first person says I must have misunderstood the refund deal. After talking again to two more people, the last of which is Emman, it is confirmed again that I am due the full refund but it is issued in two parts from two sources and that is the reason for the one email showing the lesser amount. Emman promises it will be shown on my card within five days. I get another email confirming this and the refund appears as stated.

I still have a pretty bad feeling about all this in that 6 to 8 l hours of my vacation time was wasted, and for my wife more time than that. I believe I lost several hundred dollars of value, and the cash value received for approximately 170,000 points was very bad. I don’t intend to stay at the Marriot Waikoloa and my family in Hawaii probably will not either. I would never recommend using points for travel through AMEX Travel and they really need to train their people to understand what their company is doing. When I called every time there was a statement at the beginning that the call could be recorded for, I think it said quality purposes. From other sources, I believe that all calls may be recorded. Remember that, it may come in handy.

Room Tip: The room we were in for few minutes was narrow and relatively small but did have a view of the ocea...
2 Thank Jim791
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

You're not really near much of anything, outside of the resort and its expensive restaurants - when you stay here. And you of course get the lovely added bonus of the mandatory resort fee, even if you don't use any of those amenities. Insulting to have to pay for parking - c'mon, enough with the nickel and diming, people. Otherwise, it's your typical Marriott - room was okay, amenities were fine. We were in the most basic of rooms, no view. Just... meh.

Oddly, the room smelled very strongly of coffee!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelgirl93
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed for 6 days/nights:
Cleanliness was lacking. The showers, walls, hallways/carpets and so much more were just not clean. It wasn't gross and moldy but it stood out. Having stayed in hotels hundreds of nights through the past 8 years no hotels at this price point should ever look this unclean although again, it wasn't gross.

We had massages on site, couples massage in fact - the woman and man were both good people, relaxing, professional and we enjoyed ourselves. With tip the price was about $530 for myself and my wife.

The pool and view out back are what you expect at a nice island resort. Good view, clean outside with quality service near the pool. Easy access to a beach but its the worst beach we saw on the 'Big Island' by far. Just not where you want to spend a beach day unless you must. Trust me there are much more incredible beaches within 20 minutes north and south of the hotel. Water slide seemed cool for the kiddos and the infinity pool is salt water which was nice. There are also multiple hot tubs.

We had breakfast on the porch (faces the pool/ocean) 4 mornings and dinner once and I've got to admit the service was awful from the staff aside from JUST the omlet maker. The omlet people had a good attitude and seemed to enjoy their jobs, everybody else, EVERY visit was slow, standoffish, not concerned with seating people fast even when not busy and good luck if you wanted a drink or furthermore a refill. The food was average at best as well, and for $55 (with tip) for two people it was never worth it, but your options for breakfast are beyond limited in that area of the island. Also because its outdoors we had birds and cats, yes, house cats on the pouch trying to take food EVERY morning. Nobody seemed to care - it gets gross and obnoxious.

By the way the location on Google Maps as of 10/1/12 is completely incorrect and off by over a half-mile. I reported the correct address so maybe its right now, or will be soon. Just be aware if you are going there soon.

I'd likely not stay at this hotel again, but I wouldn't outwardly discourage others from staying there either. It was seemingly much nicer than the vast majority of Kona Hotels although its 30 minutes from Kona if that is where you plan to spend a lot of time.

Room Tip: facing the pool/ocean was nice compared to the parking lot and nothingness
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChadC799
Belmont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The first magnificent view as you enter the lobby is beyond spectaclar. Then being told as we registered that we had been upgraded to an ocean view, Oh My! From the room deck we saw the three pools, a lagoon, and the ocean - cannot get much better than this. The service in every venue was excellent. The conceiere service went out of their way to seek tours that were tailored to our needs.

1 Thank Robbie B
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights recently. We picked it because of the nearby A bay which affords a beach setting or the use of the hotel pool. We enjoyed the infinity pool immensely, it was heated and we believe all the pools were sea water. There were three hot tubs, and the great majority of the time there was people in only one of the three. There were waitors who brought food around while lounging at the pool. We had the pork nachos which where amazing and HUGE. Each day from 3-6 the hotel has drink specials usually a beer, a martini and a tropical drink, the drinks then went for like 2, 5 and 6 dollars respecively. There were plenty of chairs to use by the pool. I even rode down the waterslide a few times which was fun. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel a few times when it was half off night and the prime rib and crab buffet nights. We didn't eat breakfast at all at the hotel because it had such high prices. There was a small fridge in the room for us to use, so we went to the nearby target and got soda, beer, etc also granola bars, chips etc to save us from buying some meals. Hotel room was the garden view, we could see the ocean from one chair on our balcony. I didn't want to upgrade our room because we don't spend much time in our room. We used the gym it was fabulous, they had a filtered water machine where we went to get cold water a few times when not working out too. The parking lot was very close to the front door and you could walk thru the back to the pool and the side of the hotel. We met a couple from the HIlton at the luau and they said they liked our hotel better, the hilton was too big for them. King shops are litterally across the road, the queen shops right down the street very nice souverniers over in Macy's (hawaiian made jewlrey) and sarongs in the swim shop very nice and much cheaper than the hotel giftstore! Perfect sunsets most nights if not too many clouds. You can snorkle right off the beach have to swim out a little bit but saw a lot of fish and turtles, I posted some pictures. Didnt get to the spa because it was incredible expensive too bad looked like they had a nice menu. Can walk down the beach and see sea turtles most evenings. Will return to this hotel if we are back on the big island!

3 Thank ecurranrx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!