“Like many Hawaii resort hotels you can double your costs with food and extras beware!”

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
Oregon
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Internet (almost $16 a day), parking ($18 a day) (you can get both covered by a $25 per night room charge-ask) , shade by the pool (not nearly enough umbrellas, so plan on paying for a cabana $25 to $50 a day-or get to the pool by 8 am and leave a book or something to save your chair-it is cut-throat), resort restaurant: breakfast $20, quesadillas $15, stand up paddle board ($50 an hour). Yoga by the beach $10. Massage $120. Not much is free, swimming in the murky bay, swimming in the pool (a nice infinity pool, but no separate adult pool), a hot, sun-burning beach chair, the fitness center, internet in the lobby, printing boarding passes. Our room smelled musty-moldy (the air-conditioning unit). The room is small. The shower average. The ocean sports vendor has a deal on Tuesdays where you can use all the beach toys for $25 for 3 hours. I asked the front desk what kinds of things that included and they did not know. That seems like something they should know about. Okay, the good. This hotel is right next to the King and Queen shopping centers of Waikaloa, so you can walk across the street or down the street and get coffee or meals for half or a third the cost. The room has a real mini fridge. The balcony which had a view of the ocean, was small, but nice. They have nice soap, towels and shampoo. The two person kayak can be rented for $25 for a hour, which was a better deal than anything else. They limit you to about 300 square yard area to paddle in, which was too bad. It was nice to sit in the shade (once I figured out to get that at 8 am), on a lawn chair by the pool and feel the ocean breeze. I wish I could be more positive about this hotel. If it was remodeled to be more of a European boutique hotel, I think it might work. They would need to give up on the make a buck around every corner model. Spa: I don't like to pay this much for just getting into a nice treatment room for a massage. I prefer hotels that have spas with steam rooms, jacuzzis, quiet rooms etc., so I can spend a few hours relaxing.

Room Tip: Our room was noisy from the pool/bar. Ask to be on the South facing part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank GeoT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
White City, Oregon
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

An endless evening of delight. We had drinks and great food by the pool. Happy hour so the three special drinks were cheap. Under six bucks. Played in the awesome hot tub and pools until after 11PM. They are open 24 hrs. So awesome. We enjoyed the music from the luau nearby. Buffet in the morning, pricey but normal for Hawaii, $22 each. But very wonderful. Lots of fresh fruit, pastries, meats , everything you would want in a morning buffet and my favorite, omlets made to order. Everyone was great. Our room is clean and the bed is big and comfy. Before coming here We stayed at the Hilton next door for a four day marriage retreat and although we loved our time there, the locals call it Disneyland and it fits. Screaming busy, lots of kids, and truly miles of walking.
I was so happy to hear Hawaiian music finally when we got to the Marriott. Slower, much more relaxed and peacefull. We will come here again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Shock sets in as you approach Kailua/Kona Airport.Below is a volcanic desert with very little vegetation which continues on the drive to the hotel. What a difference has been achieved as you approach the hotel down an avenue of "monkey pod trees". We were quickly and efficiently checked in and were pleased to find the room spacious and modern with a hawaiian accent.
The pools, grounds are beautiful, just what you need to relax and unwind. A real bonus at this hotel is the direct beach access with fine yellow sand.
The blending of plants, grass and shrubs with the untouched volcanic rock creates a landscape unique I'm sure to this Island and perhaps the world.
The staff were pleasant making this a very enjoyable first stay on the Big Island.
On a negative note Marriott needs to review their Resort Fee. We did not have a car so derived no benefit as the free WiFi in the foyer was rubbish. Obviously a ploy to get you to sign up for their expensive high speed offerings. Go to the Kings Shops across the road and enjoy a Kona Coffee with great free WiFi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon C
Waikoloa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

As we relax upstairs on the oversized lanai or atrium I look out to the blue-green of Anaeho'omalu Bay (A-Bay) and the ocean which surrounds the island called Hawai'i. We are reclining, feet up, relaxed, after just enjoying the breakfast buffet at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. The trade winds blow lightly through the open common areas and you can see the palm trees blowing in the breeze. The wind is blowing strong enough for a kite boarding lesson to be taught on the beach. As we peaceably rest after the buffet I note to self, I must come back here again. The air temperature is 76 degrees Fahrenheit. In the sun it's closer to the mid 80s.

The setting is perfect. The food was quite wonderful. There is an omelet station where the chef will make you a fresh omelet with any or all the fixings in it. As I look out over the beautiful different shades and hues of green from the plant life to the amazing shades and hues of the blue ocean I recall the standards of bacon, link sausage, pancakes, waffles, melon fruits, orange juice, etc. Then I remember I am in Hawaii as I see the fresh pineapple and portuguese sausage and POG (passion fruit, orange, guava) juice. Then I recall I am in an international destination as I see the Scottish Bangers, and the rice.

My wife relaxes in a food coma as I write this blog. I think she has drifted into full sleep. She is so cute. As the birds fly around us in this open atrium I wonder what we will do today, snorkeling, kite boarding, photography, work on our books, go hiking? There are so many possibilities. As I listen to Brother Iz singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on the sound system I know one thing I will definitely do in the future is come back here for breakfast buffet. Good food, amazing setting and ambience.

Aloha
James C. Christopher

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ThruJimsEyes
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed for a week in July for business.
The property is beautiful, it's rather easy to find, parking is plentiful, and the rooms are of the dependable Marriott quality with great beds (my particular item of concern).

The amenities on site did seem to be pretty robust, but I'll defer the details to other reviews since I didn't have much time to explore. The parking was plentiful, the valet and reception staff were remarkably welcoming, there's a luau available, the bar with kitchen is open late and offers daily discounts or specials (they have Kamaaina discounts too), there's easy beach access, and the pool was sufficient in space, service, and chairs, also there's a Mandara Spa on premises, but I didn't visit...

If you have mobility concerns, or will be making lots of trips to the room, I recommend asking for a close-to-elevator room, as the hall ways does get quite lengthy.

If you're on government travel, they do offer the per diem rate and were able to break out the parking and internet items on the receipt (instead of the $25 'resort fee' which you'll have a hard time claiming [which was optional BTW]).

The coffee shop was extortion and mediocre in quality, I ended up making a daily visit to the Island Gourmet Market ('ABC Store meets Safeway' in the King's Market square) for breakfast and joe. You're also within walking distance to Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill which was by far my best meal on the island.

Nothing crazy in the room, the Gov rate will get you a garden view, a pretty good-sized bathroom, and a mini fridge (not a stocked bar) so you can store stuff. If you're in a garden view, I'd ask to be on the lobby floor since the elevators were trafficked pretty well and the rooms are far enough out of the way to not be bothered.

I'll stay here again for business. I didn't get the sense that it was particularly kid friendly or exclusive for a couple's get away, but I will defer those observations to others...

Room Tip: If you're in a "Garden Room," ask for the lobby level. Otherwise, ask to be near the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Masato I
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We spent 4 nights here in July. Two in our party had stayed here on at least one occasion previously. One reason it was chosen was for the ease of access to the beach (I have have mobility issues).

THE UGLY: 1. Aside from the fact that our room was about as far from the elevator as possible, when we entered, there was a very strong odor of disinfectant in the bathroom. The floor in the bathroom had some slippery filmy substance which made it very slippery. This was reported to front desk and the problem resolved. 2. Black hairs in the corner on the bathroom floor remained our entire stay (the 2 of us have short grey hair). 3. Carpet was very stained. 4. Common areas on our floor were not vacuumed during our entire stay. And I could go on. The hotel is very tired and housekeeping needs to be replaced or at best retrained.

THE BAD: The attitude of one employee can and did taint the stay.

THE GOOD: I love this location!! Its quiet and out of the way of all the craziness of some locations. The grounds are well maintained. With the exception noted above, the rest of the staff was helpful. cordial and added to my stay. The buffet breakfast was included in our package and very good. The mac nut rolls and bread puddling with vanilla sauce (I know, a little odd for breakfast) were addicting. The common areas near the lobby was comfortable and we spent down time here.

Despite the housekeeping issues I may return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank bin2oz
Torrance, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My Wife and I have been coming here for many years. Before Marriott took it over it was an Outrigger Hotel. They had what we thought was one of the most beautiful Restuarants on the Big Island. It was all open aired and it was Located out front over looking Kuuelii Fish Pond and the Beach lined with palm trees and Aneahoomalu Bay behind that. Most beautiful sunsets. Marriott Moved it back inside under the ball rooms so now you get a nice view of the swimming pools and family's swimming. Marriott also got rid of the swimming pool bar which was another brilliant move by some corporant DORK. But I still love Waikoloa and I'll keep going back. Probably next year unless I can talk my wife into going to Molokai.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hawaiirich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!