“Great local flavors and the friendliest staff ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Hawaiian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Portland, Oregon
“Great local flavors and the friendliest staff ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Dave is a really nice guy and the food was very good, but not too fancy. My daughter and I split the loco moco. French toast was very good. The brownies were huge and cheap. Great mango scones, homemade and fresh.

1 Thank Caddisfly07

Creston, Canada
“Great staff but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Well, we had read multiple rave reviews and were not staying too far away so we decided to give this place a try. The positives include the lovely staff (probably owners) and the cappuccino was really good. Had heard the French toast was amazing but, really, it wasn't. I guess if you've never had French toast before, you might think it is okay but for anyone who has ever made it at home (pretty simple), it was just passable. The coconut sauce offered was a nice touch as a change to maple syrup. Can't remember what anyone else in our group had so it wasn't very memorable. My husband spotted a cockroach in the sweets case and was astute enough not to tell me until a few days later. Also, the little dog who inhabits the space seemed to be teetering on the verge of collapsing with every step he took and had his bed a little too close to our table. All in all, this place seems to have seen better days. I hate to give a negative review, but that was our experience.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank radmary
Monroe, Washington
“Also Known As: Kau Kau Depot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Not sure why the confusion / dual signage, but I think the name has changed to Kau Kau Depot. Makes no difference - if you are staying ANYWHERE near Waikoloa you need to find this place and enjoy it for what it is: pure Hawaiian !! Leave it at the door bro' - just step up to the counter and no worry - Malcolm and staff will take care of you. Relax at your table and feel your mainland-induced hypertension readjust to Hawaiian-style life.
Wife and I are staying at nearby Paniolo Greens and walk to "Dave's" (or what-ever) every morning. Only regret: only two more mornings before we ship out :-(

Champaign, Illinois
“Big Island Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Friendly atmosphere, great food. Malcolm loves to share his knowledge of the Island and is a joy to visit with. Prices are the best around, and Aunt Merle's Lilikoi (passion fruit) Jelly is an absolute must. Be sure to buy a jar or two like we did to take home. So good, we're going back tomorrow morning for another delicious breakfast!

Marshall and Sharon

“I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Love love live this place!! Found it on the second day of my stay and I came there often! Keep up the friendly and awesome atmosphere!