“So glad we had this awesome experience!!! Breathtaking views of the Big Island!”

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters - Waikoloa
Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in Waikoloa
Lexington, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We did the Big Island Spectacular tour and the $$$ price for our family of four made it hard to decide to book this tour but I am so gla we did! It was worth it for this once in a lifetime experience! The views of the volcanoes cliffs and waterfalls were just amazing. The helicopter was comfortable and the pilot John was great. Small world is at the end of the tour he made the connection my husband had performed his foot surgery when he lived in SC! Also we appreciated that the DVD of our flight was a reasonable price to add on as a memory of our experience. If you are on the fence like we were I highly recommend you go ahead and book this tour! You will not regret it!

London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Expensive but glad I did it”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Did the 2hr tour from Waikoloa. The weather was a little cloudy but we still got to see the lava flows and the waterfalls which were spectacular. What makes this trip worth it in my view is that most of these sights would be totally inaccessible other than by air so if you don't do it then you end up missing Hawaii's best attractions. Our pilot Shane was a great guide, very enthusiastic, and even made a special detour up above the clouds so we could see the summit of Mauna Kea.

Saint George, Utah
3 attraction reviews
“Birds Eye View of Kona...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

You can't fully appreciate the Big Island until you see it from the air.
Blue Hawaiian Helicopters offers a way to see scenery that you could never view from the ground. Flying over pristine waterfalls, beautiful canyon walls, lush green jungles, and ancient lava beds.
It is a breath taking experience and definitely worth the money.
The pilot and staff were very knowledgeable and fun to be with. Another great day in Paradise!!!
Thanks Blue Hawaiian...

Visited May 2013
Cary, North Carolina
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Big Island Spectacular was just that...spectacular”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went for the gusto on this helicopter ride, opting for the longer Big Island Spectacular, in the more expensive helicopter (EcoStar), and it proved to be a great choice. Unfortunately the stars didn't line up correctly, so my wife and I were in two of the back seats rather than the primo front seats next to the pilot, but that is what the weight-balancing computer edicted. The good new is that the EcoStar has REALLY big windows, so even sitting in one of the middle seats (my wife was by the window) I was able to see a lot and get some good pictures. Our pilot, Tom, did a great job of making sure both sides of helicopter got a chance to see all the great sites, and responding to specific request for views, photos, etc. He also was very knowledgeable about the Big Island, and his low-key not overly chatty style was perfect for the tour.

We toured the volcano part of the island first, which was what I thought was going to be the highlight, and it was very interesting, especially the site of molten lava oozing up and the steam rising from where the lava enters the sea. The surprise for me was that the tour of the rainforest waterfalls and narrow valleys in the northern part of the island was actually even more a highlight than the volcano. The valleys were really beautiful, and the waterfalls were amazing. It also becomes pretty obvious that about the only way to experience this part of the island is via helicopter. The views were incredible, and I can't imagine how else they could be achieved other than from the window of the helo. We were also fortunate that all 6 passengers were OK with bypassing the "break" in Hilo, opting for additional flight time, which gave us a chance for more rainforest sights. Bottom line: If taking a helo trip in the Big Island is part of your plan, I would definitely opt for the Big Island Spectacular with the EcoStar. Blue Hawaiian earned their high ratings.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank markrob58
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Speechless”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

From check-in to pre-flight instruction to take-off/landing and all points in between, just an absolutely fantastic, once in a lifetime experience. Our pilot - Jason - was first class. His knowledge of the Big Island was only overshadowed by his flying skills. The scenery left me speechless. Highly recommend.