“Pricey, but only way to see certain things” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in Waikoloa
Fort Collins
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Pricey, but only way to see certain things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

BLUE HAWAIIAN HELICOPTERS I took their Big Island Spectacular tour. Quite pricey ($450 before discount) 2-hour tour, but the only way to see some sights and a good overview of the island. Volcanos were very interesting, the north Kohala valleys and waterfalls were absolutely spectacular. Staff assigns seat assignment based on weight distribution, and I was seated behind the front passenger seat with zero knee space. Note: be sure to have a polarizing filter on your camera because window reflections are a nuisance. Also, they have a lot of stuff for sale in their office, and I felt that, considering the cost, some could have been given as a momento.

Visited November 2012

Ocala, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Dont get sick!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Don't be sick!!!

Debra (Manager) at Waikoloa was rude and condescending to my wife when interrogating her about my illness. I got too much volcanic Vog in my lungs and became very ill on Monday. I had rescheduled it from Sunday to Wednesday. I didn't plan on getting so sick and then having to go to the doctor to get a note by 3 pm or they were keeping my 1300.00.

It seemed like they didn't believe me and were more concerned with the money than my health and the problems it could have caused by flying with ear and sinus problems. No offer of transferring the money over to a Maui flight or anything.

As a travel agent I will recommend them but with caution since being on vacation you can't get sick and life doesn't happen obviously.

This review is on the waikoloa location. They need to be more sensitive to guests, not just oh well no money back and arguing with my wife about my condition. You can't help when you get sick and with Debras line of thinking I should have just showed up and got sick in the helicopter causing more harm to myself. Won't fly with Blue on the Big Island because for 1300.00 and being as rude and insensitive as they were I wouldn't trust them to have an experience worth the 1,300.00. I will fly with Blue on Maui though because I know the staff there are friendly and take pride in guest satisfaction. And we have flown with them many times. However based on my recent experience I would not get sick or live in a bubble so you can go on the trip because otherwise Debra M will have a fit and make you get all sorts of things done while you are sick and supposed to be in bed resting not running around getting her a doctors note at a cost of $200.00 and then find a fax machine and fax her the note all the while breathing in the vog that caused the issues in the first place. They just seem to be more about the $$$$$ than a wonderful guest experience at least in my opinion they are.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank OCALAFLORIDATRAVELER
Calgary, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“See the Volcano by Helicopter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Booked to fly over the volcano and what a great trip. Pilot Roger was very knowledgable and the flight was very smooth. Saw what we could as the volcano is'nt very active right now but what we did see was spectacular. Don't miss this opportunity if you're on the Big Island. Try to go in the morning as it's smoother ride.

Visited November 2012
Chowchilla, California
“Top of the line trip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Our pilot, Greg, was great. The whole experience was awesome. This was not our first flight to view the volcanos on the Big Island, but it was by far the best experience. You definitely don't want to miss out on this!!!

Brisbane, Australia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Highlight of our holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The flight with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters was the highlight of a wonderful holiday. We had booked a one hour flight from Hilo to fly over the volcano but after driving there from the other side of the island, it was cancelled because of the weather. there really is nothing they can do in these circumstances. We wanted to go so much that we re booked for the next day but from Waikoloa, on our side of the island. All we could get was the 2 hour flight but we took it anyway and we were so pleased we did! Not only did we fly over the volcano (an awesome sight) but the rest of the island too. We flew up sacred valleys, over the coast and mountains, and we looked down on waterfalls in places you'd never get to on foot. Our pilot was fantastic, as were all the people who worked at Blue Hawaiian. If you're there, DO IT!

Visited April 2012