“Awesome”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Our pilot, Coyote, was excellent and very knowledgeable. Our ride was smoother than I anticipated. It was awesome to see the Waipio valleys up close, which we would have not been able to do otherwise. The staff was very accommodating and we appreciated greatly that they allowed our parents to sit in the waiting area until we returned. The video was very good and records your entire conversation with the pilot. We would definitely recommend to others.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank redrobin86

• Korean first
Toronto, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Enjoyable for the most part”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Took the 2 hour late morning flight on the eco-star helicopter. Colin was our pilot and did a good job - he shared a lot of facts about the history of the island and had a good sense of humour. I had the enviable co-pilot seat - however my right arm was continually pushing against the metal back of the seat next to me and I left the tour with a nice, dark bruise - ouch. Also, I never did locate the hand-held microphone to ask any questions - I think there was one for the front 3 passenger seats. I did find the first part of the flight over the barren landscape somewhat tedious and I felt myself getting a little sleepy - however, the actual volcano and waterfall areas were interesting and really...how else are you going to see these natural sights any other way. Unable to get nice clear pictures due to the glass on the helicopter. My husband and son seemed to enjoy it more than my daughter and myself - maybe it's a guy thing.

1 Thank SerenityNow_10
Reading, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Big Island Deluxe Tour - Great Value, Great Service”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Took the 2 hour Big Island Deluxe Tour, after touring much of the Big Island by car and realised that the only way to see all this amazing island has to offer is by air. Booked through the agent at our hotel in Waikoloa, and BHH phoned the day before to confirm the trip. I was picked up on time from the hotel for the short drive to the heliport for checkin, where a quick video safety briefing was provided.

I felt very confident about the safety-consciousness with this company, and the quality of their staff and aircraft. All passengers are fitted with the personal lifejackets in belt packs,and the ground crew are very aware of the movements of helicopters and visitors.

Our pilot was Noah, on one of the A-Star copters - which gave a very smooth ride, with excellent noise-reduction headphones, and good air conditioning. Noah was also reassuring throughout the flight, and gave an excellent commentary. The tour passed between the two main volcanoes, and then over the Hilo rainforest area, before turning south to Kilauea, where Noah knew where to find a red hot lava lake - he spent plenty of time circling the lava lake to ensure that all passengers could get a view and photos. We skipped a stop at Hilo as we didn't need a bathroom break and wanted to maximise air time, so we went straight over to the east coast for some glorious weather over the blue sea and tall cliffs, before arriving at Waipoa and the deep valleys and waterfalls in the north east corner of the island.

Again, great commentary throughout, lots of patient flying (some steep turns) to enable everyone to get a great view, flying as low as 1500 feet. This is the only way to see some of these waterfalls, unless you are a serious hiker.

Finally, a quick hop back over to Waikoloa to wait for an excellent value DVD (of our own flight, with the pilot's commentary and gyro-stabilising cameras), and the short bus trip back to the hotel.

This experience will remain with me for life, truly well worth the money (I have often been put off short flights over Vegas, NYC, Niagara), and can't wait to return to Hawaii and do it all again.

Tips: Where dark clothing (shorts are ok), to keep reflections down to improve photos, and you will need to leave all bags, hats, camera cases etc. in a store bag at the helipad - but no problem taking lots and lots of photos or video throughout the flight.

1 Thank rilasata
Milton, Washington
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Our first time up and we are hooked. I want this job!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Ok, our first time up and this was the Big Splurge on the Big Island so we went all out on the Big Island Spectacular in the Eco-Star Helicopter. Unbelievable, to say to least, a flight of a lifetime. A smooth and beautiful ride and worth every penny. Our pilot was very professional and did a great job explaining the history and geology of the island. I did not know just how good of a job he did until we got home and played our DVD of the flight. If you do this, you really need to buy the DVD of your flight. It brings back all the great memories. We would do this again anytime.

1 Thank LotsATravels
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Spectacular !”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Best attraction I've ever done in Hawaii... Bar none! Our pilot Scott was friendly and knowledgeable.

Visited March 2011