“Steady predicatable and well priced”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #37 of 69 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Inspired by Italian trattoria cuisine, culture, and conversation, Romano's Macaroni Grill has been proudly serving unforgettable meals that leave a lasting impression to our deserving guests since 1988 - with knowledge, care and Italian charisma infused in everything we do. At Romano's Macaroni Grill, we know that for our guests any night out is a big night out - and it is our responsibility and privilege to treat it as such. That's why we start every meal off right: With a bottle of wine at the center of the table, while you explore our menu of expertly handcrafted rustic dishes and Italian classics. Warm distinctive touches, like our signature honor system wine and bustling open kitchen, create a memorable, sensory experience that you'll remember long after you leave the table.
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The menu and the food are consistent will of the others in this chain. They serve middle market Italian food with too little flavor, but the price is right and the service was good

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I am not one for chain restaurants and this place takes the prize at being the poster child for avoiding them at all costs. We stayed at the Hilton from August 16-23 2009 and after a long day of sightseeing and driving to Hilo and back the LONG way we decided to take it easy on our kids. Their idea of food is basic penne with butter. With that said, Macaroni Grill seemed an obvious choice. In theory its a basic cookie cutter frozen food type restaurant. We went in and were told that it would be a 15 min wait to sit outside. No worry there. So after putting my name on the list and getting a pager the hostess said, "oops there is a table in the corner. I didn't even see it". That was red flag number one.

We were seated and our waitress came over and asked if we had ever eaten at a macaroni grill before. I said no and was quickly introduced to the concept of basic italian fare. Having never heard of penne or pasta I was appreciative (extreme sarcasm). I was however extremely impressed that she wanted to put our kids order in so that they could eat quickly. Sounded like a novel idea. The result was quite a bit different. I had ordered a double grey goose on the rocks which showed up in a large glass. No issue there. We placed our order about 10 min later which included a bottle of wine. To our shock and surprise our food showed up before the kids food did. The waitress forgot the bottle of wine and the kids food. The kids food finally showed up...cold. But wait it gets better. I told the waitress to skip the bottle of wine as we had already finished our dinner. Instead I ordered a second grey goose. Despite the drink order being identical it showed up this time in a glass half the size. My issue here is that both cost me $16. This is where the restaurant goes from bad to despicable. While we sat waiting for dessert we were greeted by a mouse on the wall. We named him Jerry.

When the bill came, I questioned the $16 charge for each drink given that they were two different sizes. The waitress told me they ran out of the other glass. Ok so be it. However, she sent the manager to my table. I had zero intention of complaining or taking the issue any further than asking the question. However, the manager came over with such a negative attitude that I was immediately taken aback. Since he had an attitude toward me, I let him know how I felt about the horrid service, the cold food, the forgotten items and then expressed that my wife doesn't like dining with rodents. His comment was "I am not responsible for the rodents outside of the restaurant". YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. THAT's YOUR RESPONSE. My immediate reaction to that [--] comment was to say, "don't give me that [--]" . My bad as he took that as his doorway to completely destroy any hope of resolution. When he started in on me I told him that the best thing for him to do is get out of my face. His reaction was to escort me out of the restaurant even though the restaurant was still in possession of my credit card which he refused to return to me. I demanded my property back and his response was to call the police. A move I completely welcomed and while waiting for the police to show up (they never did) I had the security team stand with me to ensure that the "manager" didn't try anything else. Meanwhile my children are crying at the table and my wife furious.

My wife signed my name to the bill and joined me outside the restaurant. The police unfortunately did not show up so we left.

Eat there at your own peril. I am sure you won't have the same experience I did but if the manager should come to your table be sure not to exercise your first amendment right of freedom of speach. It is not welcome here.

Overall I recommend that this restaurant close.

3  Thank Univax
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Service extremely slow. Wife's shrimp pasta finally came and shrimp were raw. My pasta was cold. Waitress took back meals and said they would be redone in a couple of minutes. 10 minutes later, meals came back. Wife's plate had the same shrimp from the original serving, just cooked longer. Manager apoligized and said it was a new cook. Comped us with a free dessert we didn't want. During all this, they have a roving opera singer who singsa about every 5 minutes. When she is singing, it is so loud you can't hold a conversation. We will never go back to this restaurant or any other in the chain.

3  Thank Golf-Pops
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Where to start... The good - great service. Our waitress was stellar! She was super friendly and salvaged the experience - sort of. Now the bad - terrible food, super high price, bad location for outdoor seating. In conclusion, I expect more especially for the outrageous price. If you find joy in chain restaurants, you might really like this place. I found it less than appealing. It would be wise to skip this venture and eat from one of the many local joints.

3  Thank Lostboy26
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We went on a Tue evening, and place was relatively busy. Service was very mediocre, and waitress was nice but seemed to have too many tables. Real issue was the food - it was a very olive oil based sauces on the Fettucini Alfredo and the Chicken Marsala, and just not very good. Same with the basic Spaghetti. Would not recommend it over other choices in the area.

3  Thank Kgwd000