“Hawaii Trip Highlight”
Review of Dolphin Quest

Dolphin Quest
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Waikoloa
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Quest Hawaii, located at the spectacular Hilton Waikoloa Village, brings people and dolphins closer than ever in fun, interactive dolphin encounter programs for all ages. This unique experience is on-of-a-kind on Hawaii's Big Island and is great for kids, adults or the entire family! Reservations can be made a year in advance. Dolphin Quest's Learning Center Lagoon, opened in 1988, was the first of its kind and inspired a new generation of large, natural habitats for marine mammals. A portion of the proceeds from your Dolphin Quest encounter program supports vital marine education, conservation and scientific study. TripAdvisor Certificate Excellence winner for the last 6 years (2012 to 2017)!
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My two teenage daughters participated in the 45 minute ‘Encounter Deluxe’ program. They really enjoyed the experience. Their trainer, Ashley, was very fun and personable. They felt it was a good amount of time to spend with the dolphins – their group of 6 they got to be up close and person with 3 or 4 different dolphins. In total, there were 3 groups – all about the same size – in the dolphin pool at the same time (the program has 11 dolphins on staff).

There was no hard sell for the DVD or photos, which we appreciated (though we did return the next day to purchase a few photos). They did have a photographer and videographer in the pool with each group to take photos, but if you have a decent camera, you can get some OK photos of your own.

All in all, a great experience, and a memorable highlight of their Hawaii trip.

3  Thank sjmmk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did the Dolphin Quest as a family. The staff was HIGHLY skilled, and very concerned with the welfare of the dolphins, above all. Very safe. The experience was amazing.

1  Thank KronyTown
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife REALLY enjoyed this experience! She couldn't stop smiling. This was an expensive diversion but also a once in a lifetime experience that was worth it

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have swam with wild dolphins in the middle of the ocean when we were out diving a good few years ago and that was a magical experience as they actively sought us out and interacted with us. We now have kids and that is something that is very hard for them to experience for a good few years. I am by now means a dolphin expert but these seemed happy, well looked after, healthy and they recently had a calf born which I presume they wouldn't do if they were unhappy/unhealthy. It is very expensive and we paid for our 2 kids to have the 45 min session which they thoroughly enjoyed. Me and my husband didn't do it but just watched and took lots of photos. I do have mixed feelings about captive animals but these seemed happy, well stimulated and cared for.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

My seven year old and I did the 45 min session with Ashley as the trainer. It was great. Really felt like longer and a better value than I'd anticipated. Learned a ton. Not too scary for a "new swimmer" kiddo. Just right! Ashley rocked too.