“Entertaining.... Only need to go once. ”

Legends of Hawaii Luau
Ranked #17 of 67 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

I just went to the luau a few days ago with my husband and 2 kids, 13 and 9. We had two free adult tickets and had to pay for the kids, which ended up being around $100.00. I'm not sure I would have gone if I didn't have the free tickets. Personally, I think if you have been to one luau, you don't need to go to another. However, if you have never been to one you should definitely go and the Legends of the Pacific was a very pleasant experience. The service was great and everything was run very smoothly.

First the food. I was very impressed, right when you walk in they offer you a cocktail.. I love those Mai Tai's. The only problem was, they had been sitting in the sun and were a little watered down. Not to worry though, they have an open bar. I was also impressed with the fact that they had a separate kids buffet and they serve them right away! The main buffet was very abundant with a wide assortment. I'm a picky eater too. I would rate them 5 stars for food and service.

The entertainment was just alright for me. The Host of the show was very entertaining and engaged the audience. She does a very good job of explaining the history of Hawaii and telling stories. The dancers were also good. The fire dancers were very entertaining and were probably the best part of the whole show. My kids enjoyed the show, which is all that matters.

Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Food good , show bad , feel the we got ripe off !! Needs to be revamped . Paid for reservation a got seated all the in the back guess they over book a lot other people where mad about that too

Reviewed August 10, 2014

First, let me point out that I was told by the staff at our hotel the Luau is run by a separate entity. Everything at our hotel was so wonderful, I am sure this is true! The first thing that happened at the Luau was the announcement of lei sales at the front of the venue. I went up to buy a lei and was second in line-there were some other lines for children (fake tattoo, some other thing I am not sure of) with children in those lines. Some man hollered at the man in front of me and at me-"are you really cutting in front of children!!" Both the man and I backed up - neither of us saw any children in line and as we did, several girls not in line ran over and bought the leis (only a few were for sale). No big deal, but I thought this area was poorly run.
Next, the entertainment-the lady singing was, I am sure a lovely elderly lady. She was the host and was the majority of the show. She sang many, many songs in a way an elderly lady would sing-lots of quivering in her voice and not extremely pleasant to listen to. The story was boring, the songs too long and not pleasant to the ears. Hula dancing was fine and the fire dancing good (except when the dancer dropped his flaming sword by mistake-that was a little frightening). All and all we found this boring and not to our liking for the most part.
Next, the food-not even good. Both my husband and I commented on how the food in the restaurants were so much better. It was rather bland and the desserts were too sweet. Believe me, I am not a major food snob (despite the fact that I own my own small restaurant and am considered a good cook), but this food was just not great. I do think the lines were managed well (they called each table separately and ran two lines). The waiters and waitresses were friendly, as was the bar staff. I think families with small children enjoyed the show. Sorry, I wish I would have gone to a different luau-we heard the one in our next hotel as we were walking-excellent singing and the story sounded much better. By this time, we had decided-no more luaus ever!

1  Thank lornalynn
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Authentic cuisine, pig roasted in the ground with unearthing ceremony. Open bar made this experience feel like the best wedding reception ever!!

1  Thank Victoria L
Reviewed August 3, 2014

When you get the upgraded ticket you get preferred seating and unlimited drinks delivered to your table. I did not like that on your way in they put artificial leis around your necks and take a photo of your group and then take the leis right back off and put them on the next group. My kids were crushed. Also that lovely picture will be offered to you at a hefty price on the way out.

1  Thank Fivemoreminutes