“Wow!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Legends of Hawaii Luau

Legends of Hawaii Luau
Ranked #14 of 67 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: American, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, Kentucky
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

The show was fantastic! You will want to see! Words cannot describe the beauty of the dancers! The food was very exceptional also. This is a must to see.

Visited September 2013

• Hungarian first
Fishers, IN
“Interesting experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was our first trip to Hawaii and everyone who had been said it's a good idea to go to a luau- so we went to a luau! Overall, I'm glad we did. We were staying at the HIlton Waikoloa Village so we went for the one there, choosing the Ali'i (royalty) seating. (Just book these through a concierge- they have quite a few concierges there and they'll explain everything to you.) What this type of seating means is that you get to sit closer to the front and your table has a server that brings you drinks as needed. I don't recall how much more this seating was, but there was only one server for our rather large table and he didn't seem to move terribly quickly (the table next to ours had a server that was really on top of things-coming back and forth with drinks the entire performance). We did the Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare presentation, so we got a "Holo Holo" card that gave us a discount. The cost for Ali'i seating for two adults and one child (aged 5-12) was $267.72 after the Holo Holo discount, just for reference.

The start time for the luau was 5:30 (I think), but we didn't anticipate so much time would be taken in line- everyone arrived at once. We waited in line for the Ali'i seating (there's a separate line for general seating) for 15 minutes at least. They weren't doing a great job of directing people with general seating on down to the next check-in location, and there was a large tour group attending, so that didn't help. They give you the option of having a professional picture taken on your way to being seated, fyi (we did it, it turned out nicely and we bought it at the end of the show). I would recommend you arrive 30-60 minutes before your performance. (The woman hosting the show had started talking by the time we got to sit down.) If you're staying at the resort there and will need to use the tram for the trip to the Lagoon Tower, I'd add another 15 minutes on- you never know when those will arrive. (We did this on a Friday night, so that could have added to the crowd, too.)

The show's hostess did a fine job of getting the crowd involved and the dancers were very good. Their dances told traditional Hawaiian stories. They showed you how to split a coconut easily (seriously). We learned some things about Hawaiian culture and history. We were particularly amazed by the two men who did a GREAT deal of athletic, intricate dancing- their performances were much more than hip shaking. So, the show was good.

The food was average buffet food. Salads, several entrees including ribs, which were good. They also had the traditional pulled pork from a roasted pig, which wasn't very flavorful. They had a plum sauce for it, but I think the typical American palate appreciates barbeque sauce more for this (but hey, maybe plum sauce is more authentic!) You ordered your free drinks off a menu of mostly frozen drinks- mai tais, pina coladas, that kind of thing. They offered non-alcohol versions, too. For dessert, they brought out little squares of different sweets on a tray for people to choose from (I probably would have preferred picking out my own at the buffet-it's awkward to take the last of something, not knowing if anyone else at the table might like it.)

We enjoyed talking to people from Austria who sat at our table, and once we started the conversation, everyone started talking. This would be another good reason to arrive earlier if you're the type who likes to chat with other guests.

All in all, it was a good experience. It was convenient because it was located where we were staying. If I could have gone to one on a beach, I might have preferred that, but that wasn't what was handy. We're glad we saw one.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Been to this Luau Before--Disappointed in General”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I went to the Legends of the Pacific Luau 15 years ago as a child. Boy, have things changed since then! When we came before, we took a professional photo with the hula dancers and received free leis.

Let me tell you about it now:

My husband and I were upgraded to the Ali'i seating as a wedding gift from the hotel. I was pretty excited (the seats were phenomenal, by the way). My excitement ended rather quickly when our professional photo was of just my husband and me wearing FAKE leis (like the ones you can get at Walmart) that were subsequently taken away from us. Later, once inside, you can purchase real leis for $5. My husband got me one since I was so disappointed, but the lei fell apart about an hour later! Ridiculous.

Yes, the alcoholic drinks are watered down, didn't expect differently. Like everything else at the hotel, the prices are outrageous compared to what you get (aka: value not good). The buffet was ok...the food was mostly cold or had flies swarming like crazy. The pork was very dry. Not impressed.

Auntie Tutu was very happy about sharing her Hawaiian story with us. She was great...perhaps the best person there since the hula dancers looked un-enthused, and one of the male dancers was terrible and off beat. The flame thrower was very impressive at first, but he dropped his baton so many times at the end that it was almost comical. He left the stage pretty pissed at himself, so I felt badly for him. I also felt badly for myself...paying $230 for average food, average performance, and no free lei. The professional photo of us in our fake leis cost $50. INSANE.

We've stayed in many expensive hotels, Four Seasons, Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, etc. but have never gotten such poor value as we have at the Hilton. The only reason we went was because of my fond childhood memories. Definitely wouldn't go to this luau again; I'd recommend some of the higher rated ones located nearby.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sarah W
“Entertaining, food was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

It was interesting to see these talented men and women telling the story of their homeland. Not only are they talented but it must take some serious dedication to learn their craft. Thanks to you guys for a great show. Now, the food was horrible. Buffet style, cold food, empty or missing food containers at the buffet line. For the price I would never do this again.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank JKCROSBY
Leawood, Kansas
“Outstanding Luau”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

The food was fantastic and the entertainment was fun. Even though we sat at a table with tourists from Japan who spoke little English we all felt like we communicated and had a great time together.

Visited March 2014