Volcano Hale
$63
TripAdvisor
$142
Travelocity
Volcano House(Hawaii Volcanoes National Park)
$285
Arnott's Lodge(Hilo)(Great Value!)
$80
$396
$317
All reviewsshared bathroomother guestsshared facilitiesthe kitchentop floorbudget accommodationsnational parklarge common areabasic roomquiet roadvery pleasant stayguest housethe big islandstayed one nightshort drivetwo nightsbackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Budget accommodations in a comfortable, funky 1912 3-story house. Six rooms share 2 bathrooms and our bed seemed to be slanting downhill. However, being in a rainforest on beautiful grounds with friendly accommodating staff made it worth it. The house has a kitchen you can use to prepare your own meals and a continental breakfast is only $6--a real bargain in Hawaii.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Very nice house with clean rooms. Unfortunately, only 2 bathrooms for 6 rooms, so it may get a little crowded. Dehumidifiers are in each private and shared room, which is absolutely great in this wet climate. Fireplace and kitchen are nice too. The only complaint I have is the not so comfortable bed.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 17, 2011

It's an unfair review, as I don't mind the shared housing experience and my husband loathes it. We shared a bath with a nice couple and we only stayed one night. The room was tiny but functional. Clean enough for a house of that age (1916?) in such a humid climate. Complaints: the bed was a rock and the venting system of the house had a main vent right under our heads. Living in a house of nearly this age, we knew what to do...take a spare pillow and block the vent. We didn't use the kitchen or any other amenities, so it would be best to defer those opinions to those travelers that had.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive about staying in a place with shared bathrooms, but after reading others' reviews, and a majority of them being positive, I decided to give it a try.... and I'm glad we did. Lucky for us, there was only 1 other couple in the 6-bedroom house, during our 2-night stay, which meant we had sole use of one of the bathrooms, and the other couple more than likely used the bathroom on the same floor as their room.

The house is located on a quiet street, in a rain forest, surrounded by lush, green ferns and other vegetation; breathtaking I must say. The outside of the home is clean and nicely decorated. The house has a couple of common areas with free internet (you can also use your own laptop for wifi in your room).

There are plenty of tables to eat at if need be; the kitchen can be used to cook your own meals if you desire.

If you have a problem with stairs, then it would be best to book a room on the ground level, which are the Nene, Elepaio & Malia rooms.... the other 3 rooms are on the 2nd & 3rd floors of the house, which require climbing stairs (no elevator here). We had the Lehue room (only room on the 2nd floor), which was very small in size, but comfortable for two people. Due to this room's size, we chose to take in only what we needed for the night, and retrieved other things the next morning.

Since the town of Volcano has little to no street lights, if you're arriving after dark, be aware that the parking area directly in front of the house will be dark; the only lights will be on the outside of the house and I can't recall if the lights along the walkway between the house and parking area, were lit or not; it would be good to use a flashlight for this.

Also, the office where you register, is one street away from the actual house. If you arrive after the office closes for the day (5pm), you'll find an envelope in a box adjacent to the office door, with your party's name on it, which includes the keys to the house and your room, plus instructions.

The only thing that could be done (not too much of a big deal) is if housekeeping could check the windows more often, to get rid of the dead bugs; otherwise, it's a very clean property.

Overall, staying at the Volcano Hale was a pleasant experience, and I'd for sure stay there again when visiting Volcanoes National Park again, if I didn't choose to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2011. This is a 3 story house with 6 guest rooms. There are 2 shared bathrooms – one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. I never had any difficulty getting access to the bathroom when I needed it but I think this depends on the other guests. There is a kitchen and lounge area on the middle floor. I think there were 2 computers for guest use and there was free wifi which worked very well. If you have issues with stairs I recommend asking for a room on the ground floor. The room I had was not particularly big though the bed was! There was no mirror in the room. There is no AC. There is a heater for if it is cold. There are de-humidifiers.
I was very glad I arrived in the daylight and found the property. I still ended up exploring several other roads in the dark but at least I knew what I was looking for. The main reception was easy enough to find.

To be fair - it was better than "average" but I can't go as far as "very good". It was fine for the price and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have level access from street/parking though you will need to use stairs to reach kitchen area.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo