“Paradise in inferno”

Volcano Vacation Homes (Chalet Kilauea Collection)
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Volcano Vacation Homes (Chalet Kilauea Collection)
Ranked #19 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Volcano
Reviewed July 17, 2008

The best place in Volcano!

At first, we reserved a room in the volcano chalet, near the commune kitchen. When we arrived for the check-in, they upgrade us to another room, the rainforest cottage (for no reason!)

The room was perfect! It was like a little house (bath, TV, radio, small kitchen, etc.)! After 2 weeks in different hostel, we found the paradise near the inferno (and it was cheaper than some hostel we visited!)!

This place also have free internet, afternoon tea (Amazing teas!), and a jacuzzi (but it's a secret!). The place is really relaxing and the staff is really helpfull and friendly (they received us with a fresh juice at the office). They have a beautiful garden with many fishs.

The location is perfect (10 minutes from volcano park) and the place was not crowded (and even if it were, there's place for everyone!).

I will come back again

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 23, 2008

We stayed at the Chalet Kilauea Ginger Cottage for 4 nights in February. The Ginger cottage sits on a great spot. There really is so much potential to be a nice rental, but it is, unfortunately, unmet potential.
When we arrived, the cottage was stuffy. We decided to open the windows to air it out. One of the bedroom window separated from the frame when we opened it. We had to have one person go outside and hold the glass in place and push the frame so we could get it closed. It never did completely close.
The cottage itself was flithy. It was apparent that the floors had not been cleaned in a long time. there was dust and hair balls in the coner of the living room. The dishes were filthy. I pulled out a spatula that actually still had food caked on it. And there was dirt in the cabinets and drawers. One of the cabinets even had a small pile of dirt in the corner. The bedspreads were filthy. I can't even guess as to when they were last washed.
A picture of the cottage on thier website shows a nice leather couch in the living room. What we found was a 1980's era reject with broken boards in the back.
To top off the cottage, I also had an unfortunate experience with a staff member. One member of our party was not feeling well so decided to stay back. Apparently, someone stopped by the cottage and said they were there to change the sheets. This was refused because the person at the cottage did not feel well. When I got back that afternoon I need to take the trash out. There is no trash bin at the property, so I called the main lodge and asked where I could take it. The staff member told me that there was no place to take it. She said there was no trash service in Volcano. So, I asked what they do with their trash. She repeated that there is no trash service and that since the service for the cottage had been refused, we would "just have to wait until the next cleaning service".
That evening, I took the trash to the main lodge and asked to speak with the general manager. He was out, so I told the person at the desk of the problems with the cottage and the rude staff member. She offered to have the cottage repaired and cleaned. However, since we had a member of our party not feeling well we declined. The simple fact is that the cottage should have been maintained well before our stay. When I asked her where I could take our garbage, she told me they have a dumpster out back I could use. I'm not sure why I wasn't told about the dumpster on my first attempt.
We e-mailed the general manager of the Chalet kilauea Collection a week after we returned from our trip. We still have heard nothing from him.
If you are going to the Big Island and plan on visiting Volcano National Park, the town of Volcano is easliy accessible, quaint, and a good option. However, there are other places to stay than the Chalet Kilauea Collection. I highly recommend finding one rather than settling for what we did.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank colesig
Reviewed February 15, 2008

My wife and I just returned from 10 days on the Big Island. We stayed in both budget hotels and a beautiful resort. While in Volcano we spent the worst 2 nights that we spent anywhere else. The Ohia Hideaway smelled musty, had mold throughout, bad tap water, inadequate heat and was dirty. They tell you that in Volcano to expect cold damp weather and then they supply the "house" with 2 tiny plug in heaters.
If I had spent 40.00 a night it would have been too much. I submit reviews every time I travel and like nothing better then to write a glowing review and do so about 95% of the time. We do not stay often in 5 star resorts but look for quality for the price locations and this was about the worst place we have stayed since we used to tent camp when we were younger, and even that was better.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jjapples
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed at the Hale Ohia Cottage for one night. It was very close to the Volcano National Park, though it was quite an adventure going down the gravel road to get to the cottage.
We were very pleased with the cottage on first arrival -- separate bedroom, well stocked kitchen (very important in the Volcano
area where the restaurants are limited), and nice sitting area.
The problem started after we returned in the early evening after it
started raining. It was cool and damp (temp was about 50 degrees outside). There was a small wood burning stove in the room with a duraflame log. The log was damp, and we were never able to light it. We went to plan B which was a small space heater. We turned it on, and an hour went by without any effect. We called the main office and they assured us it would "gradually"' warm the room. We were still shivering by the next morning!! Again, if it was warmer, we would have been perfectly happy with our stay but the weather put a damper on our short visit.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 19, 2008

One of the worst places I've ever slept; we should have slept in the car! My niece booked this place, "the cheapest she could find" in Volcano. Finances may not be her forte, as the entire 6 bedroom house cost us $350+ for the night, and you can rent some very nice private residences and condos for that price.

Upon entry, we were hit by an overwhelming odor of mildew / mold. The house REEKED. My niece killed several roaches in the kitchen. It was cold and damp, damp, damp. We started the ancient gas wall furnace in the basement but then it smelled like the house was going to blow sky-high from gas fumes, so we turned it off and scavenged some dura-flame logs for the woodstove. The house lacked an adequate heating system.

Downstairs, our bedspread reeked so much of mildew I had to push it off the bed. My sister did the same in her room. Then, when I awoke (freezing, early), and went aroud to my husband's side of the bed, I stepped in a puddle under the carpet! My husband's clothes were now in a puddle. Looking up, I saw three spots in the ceiling dripping a continuous trickle of water (about a drip a second). My husband told me that the dripping noise had kept him awake all night but that he couldn't identify it and had actually thought the noises were being made by rodents or other critters (based upon the huge gap underneath the exterior door downstairs).

On the way out, we complained to Christopher, & he graciously offered us breakfast, but we were on our way to bike in the Nat'l park. He promised to refer our concern to the mgr. We later received an e-mail from the mgr blaming the drip on the "tropical rain forest" location (it was NOT raining that night). No apology was offered.

If I had to do it over again, I'd curl up in the rental car with a blanket - it'd have better ambiance and protection from the elements.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank bcnunmaui
Reviewed December 15, 2007

We stayed at the Ohia Hideaway, thankfully for just one night. We arrrived cold and wet from a hike, hoping to warm ourselves by the advertised warm woodstove. It was so dank that the single Duraflame log provided to us when we checked in would not light--we had to use paper towels to get it lit. Worst yet, the small woodstove and a single plug-in radiant heater in the bedroom were the only sources of heat, and they were woefully inadequate. Without any heat to dry the house, it stayed disagreeably musty. We could not relax because we were so cold and wet, and eventually resorted to using a hair dryer to dry ourselves. Eventually, we drove back to the reception area for another Duraflame log -- which the Chateau Kilauea sold to us for $3.50! Now let's talk about the kitchen. As another reviewer noted, it was poorly equipped and dark, certainly not an inviting place to cook or eat. And the tap water was both soapy and full of iron -- the management really should provide bottled water. Finally, there's the bathroom. The advertisements for the Ohia Hideaway claim that it has a "marble" bathroom. Well, in a manner of speaking. The bathroom was old and tired, with rotting wood, but it does have a marble vanity top. All in all, not a place we would recommend to anyone, especially at the price. This might be OK at $75/night. On the plus side, the woman at the check-in was really really nice. They just happen to be renting you an overpriced and substandard product.

Stayed: December 2007
5  Thank Love22saywa
Reviewed August 9, 2007

The house was in a lovely setting. The kitchen and second bathroom were not clean. Hair in the tub. Microwasve oven was very dirty. Sink and counters in kitchen were not clean. The house livingroom needs more furniture. Was not comfortable to all sit in there for more than 3 people.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Kona Seaside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Lotus Garden Cottages
Lotus Garden Cottages
#1 of 32 in Volcano

Been to Volcano Vacation Homes (Chalet Kilauea Collection)? Share your experiences!