“Aloha Moon Cottage was Fantastic!!!”

Lotus Garden Cottages
Ranked #1 of 31 Volcano B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Aloha Moon Cottage was Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2008

This B&B was exactly what I was looking for. The room was beautifully decorated, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The whole setting is private and relaxing - which is exactly what I needed in a vacation. The innkeepers were very nice and the breakfast that they served was the perfect way to get ready for a day of hiking in the national park.

I was very impressed with the quality of this B&B, especially considering how reasonable their rates are. All in all I loved Lotus Garden Cottages and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I stayed at the Lotus Garden Cottages for three nights based on a recommendation from a friend who had stayed there during her last two trips to the Big Island. She claimed it was basically an oasis, with beautiful rooms, great breakfasts and attentive innkeepers.

She was 100% on point. The rooms were decorated so gorgeously with Hawaiian and Asian decor. The bed was AMAZING. It took so much determination to get myself out bed in the morning. I could have laid there forever.

But once I got up, I was greeted with a luxurious breakfast. Delicious pastries, island fruits, rich coffee, etc. I read in some past posts that inn wasn't serving breakfast and giving gift certificates instead, but it turns out that that was because the owners were remodeling their kitchen. The breakfasts are back and wonderful!

Above all, for all that you get, the rates were lower than I thought they would be. If you want to get 5 star island accommodations at an affordable price, this is the place to go.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SF Bay Area
Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Lotus Garden Cottages is clean, spacious and quiet. Having the tv sitting area, bar stools at the counter and sitting area in the lanai was a plus.

When we arrived, the owner was busy remodeling his kitchen. No breakfast and we were given gift certificates to the lodge down the street. No biggie, we used them for dinner instead of breakfast.

The reason I am giving the Lotus Garden Cottage an OK rating is because the single futon mattress was missing from the loft. I specifically chose this B&B because of what was advertised on their web site - "Loft space with two single Futon mattresses". I was travelling with my Aunt and wanted the extra sleeping area. When I asked the owner about the futon he gave me the following answer "we used to cater towards families. A majority of the visitors do not need the futon." I told him he should update his web site because it is false advertising. If the owner is reading this review, maybe you should remove the children's video and ladder leading to the empty loft. I ended up sleeping on the couch.

If you are a couple or need just one bed, then this place is for you. If you need the extra sleeping space, then you are out of luck. I would call the owners before booking if you need the futon.

Overall it was ok - but no breakfast, no futon in the loft, no tea in the cottage, towels and water were left outside our cottage and they did not tidy up inside. I think if the owner was not remodeling their kitchen we would have had a better stay at the Lotus Garden Cottage.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank BayAreaTraveller62
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Lotus Garden Cottages for 3 nights during our honeymoon and really enjoyed our stay. We stayed in the middle cottage which is attached to the other two cottages by a long deck, but we never saw or heard another person. We actually only saw the owner once!

The room is decorated in all of these asian tapestries and wall hangings and the bed is enormous and really comfortable. There's also a fire place. It was a very romantic, rustic place to stay in the volcano area.

We got vouchers for breakfast at the nearby Kilauea Lodge, which did get a little old by the third day, but hey, it's free breakfast! And the cottages are right down the road from all of the restaurants in Volcano. Definitely go to the pizza place - it was as good as NY!

• Liked — Privacy, decor, bed, fire place
  • Disliked — same breakfast every day
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed three nights in the Aloha Moon Cottage. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean. But that was really the only positives for our stay at the Lotus Garden Cottages. It was a great location for exploring the Volcano National Park and the surrounding area, but there were better options.

Be forewarned, the great breakfasts everyone raves about here and on the website are no longer being served. Instead, we received gift certificates to the Kiluaea Lodge for each night we stayed. That's nice I suppose, but completely defeats the purpose of staying at a B&B. We wanted to be able to wake up, have some coffee and breakfast, then shower and go out for the day. Ms. Kim explained it was due to stricter health code laws, but this would have been good to know prior to booking our room there... we would have just stayed at the Kilauea Lodge and cut out the drive for breakfast.

Overall, our stay was just ok. The room seemed to be missing a lot of the little things. We could not turn out the flood light in front of our door, so there was a lot of light pollution, even with all of the blinds closed. Not good when one of the reasons we chose this place was its seclusion in the middle of the rainforest. There is a lot to like if a few things were corrected or the price was a little lower. But we paid more than average for a B&B in Volcano, and we did not receive more than average stay. But if the breakfast issue is fixed along with the lights and a few other (very minor) issues corrected, this could easily be worth the money.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Bri_in_OR
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the Lotus Garden Cottages in the Aloha Moon Cottage, which was very beautiful and private. The cottage had vaulted ceilings and the bed was the most comfortable of all the places we stayed on our visit to Hawaii. There was also a small loft area upstairs with two twin futons. This cottage also had two private lanais off of the room for our use. The owners were very friendly, helpful, and delivered breakfast to our cottage each morning. There is also a coffee maker, teas, and a mini fridge in the room.

We would definitely stay at the Lotus Garden Cottage again, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice secluded place to stay.

• Liked — Beautiful accomodations
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2008

We spent 2 days at Lotus Garden Cottages. The hotel was fully booked but we didn't meet anyone.

We spent time in the jaccuzi (outside in the jungle), it was wonderful.

The hosts were both cordial and respectful of our privacy. The breakfast was delivered every morning at our requested time.

The owners were very nice and helpful.

• Liked — jaccuzi
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karine184
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
Volcano Village Lodge
#2 of 31 in Volcano
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Volcano Rainforest Retreat

Been to Lotus Garden Cottages? Share your experiences!