“A great Eco-friendly stay and good value.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Volcano Inn Cottages
Ranked #16 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Volcano
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while touring the national park. Not in the main building, but across the highway in their other rooms. These are really lovely, set back in the forest, spacious, well equipped with wifi. Water is heated by solar panels and every attempt is made to make them eco-conscious. At both locations there is a hot tub hidden away amongst the forest. Ron, the owner is a warm and inviting host with some great views on life - engage him in a conversation about American politics if you get a chance, well worth listening to. We went out to the volcano at night and missed him and his brother (who is a park ranger) who came to call offering to take us to the crater rim to see the activity. Volcano itself is a great little village with good eating options. I whole heatedly reccomend a stay with Ron and his team. Great location and excellent rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Volcano Inn is a great place to stay and visit the National Park. The corner room was clean and set up nicely. Our room was set apart from the hotel but we met and talked to another visiting family. Hot tub was a nice touch on a cool evening.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We (2 adults, 2 children aged 8 and 11) stayed in the Volcano Room at the Volcano Inn for 3 nights.
The location of the inn (and the village) is ideal - a few miles from the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Why would you stay in Hilo and drive to see the Park?? The proximity enabled us to see most of the sights in the Park over 2 days. Don't miss seeing the Kilauea caldera from the Jaggar Museum at night - the glow from the lava is spectacular and it is only a 10-15 minute drive from Volcano Inn.
The accommodation was excellent and very good value. It comfortably slept 4 (1 double bed, 1 single bed and a sofa bed), and was spacious with a full kitchen. The outlook (over a forest of tree ferns) was beautiful and the gas fireplace was a wonderful finishing touch to a very enjoyable and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed in one of the corner rooms (across the highway from the main hotel and office) for two nights on our recent honeymoon trip.

Before getting there, the owner was very helpful in getting us to the hotel in time for check in after our flight was delayed 3 hours. Once there, we found check in easy and loved walking in to the cozy room and seeing the jungle right outside our window.

The room was clean and comfortable, with a nice bathroom. The towel warmer and inclusion of a full water jug were nice touches. It wasn't very cold when we were there, so we had no need to turn on the heater or electric blanket, however we ran the required air dehumidifier all night and it was pretty loud. I had to adjust the collection bucket a few times to stop it rattling. It, low pressure from the shower, and single ply TP (a pet peeve!) were my only complaints about the place.

Otherwise it was a great place to stay, very convenient to Volcano NP, and in my opinion a good deal (especially compared to everything else in the town which is pricey). I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ltdscott
Reviewed February 29, 2012

we stayed in one of the corner rooms in mid Feb..room was clean with lots of room..had a microwave and coffee maker and a few basic cooking needs for a quick breakfast in the morning..room had a very slight mildewy smell...but its the rainforrest..kinda smelled dampish outside too lol...we thought the notes..which seem to be an issue for some..were kind of funny....and there certainly is not excuse for not finding your way to the office !! and thankyou thankyou thankyou to the lady who was doing the cleaning who had picked up my wifes rings that she had forgotten

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saskguy096
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My latest stay at Volcano Inn was in late January 2012. We stayed in a family room--Caldera was it's name; it was on two floors of a three-story home. The home was beautifully built with many lovely little details. The only problem we encountered with this was that the bathroom was downstairs and the bedroom was up, which was a problem for one of our party who has trouble with stairs. She wound up sleeping on the sofabed downstairs.

This unit had a very nice kitchen with full equipment and a spacious bathroom. The upstairs community bedroom held two double beds, two twin beds, and a loft/platform bed.

The outdoors hot tubs were very welcome and walking to them through the lush grounds is a treat. The house had huge picture windows looking over the tree fern forest. The gas fireplace was welcome in the cool evenings.

There are directional signs fairly obvious but I can see their necessary in this fairly out of the way spot, with conventions like catchment water and septic systems that many city dwellers might not be familiar with.

My husband and I have also stayed in the "corner window rooms" which don't have a full kitchen but have a microwave and coffeemaker, just fine for a couple of nights for two people.

I've never experienced any problems with mildew or lack of cleanliness, the rooms are always very clean and well stocked.

Ron and Jeab, the owners, are maybe not the warmest and fuzziest of proprietors, but they definitely take pride in their property. Ron does all the building himself, including the solar power for water heating and all the electrical, and his skill and high standards are evident in the places.

Recommended for a visit to Volcanoes National Park.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank corisline
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I really like this place in general - quiet, clean, off the beaten path, good location, awesome hot tub. It seems like the rooms really vary in quality. I stayed in the Hapu'u which had a really uncomfortable mattress, but the owner later told me the mattresses are different in each room and he'd let me try some out next time. The place is very peaceful and a great location for going to the park. I've stayed in other B&Bs in Volcano and this place thought of some important details: a heated towel rack since it's so humid things don't dry well, and a de-humidifier, for the same reason. The last time I stayed in Volcano my suit and towel never dried and the choice was either cold or very humid. Volcano Inn solved that problem with a few nice touches. I'm fine with no-frills, this place is cheap for a reason. So I would recommend it, but if you're picky about mattresses like me, ask the owner if you can try out another room if yours doesn't fit your sleep preferences.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very different - look at the pictures on the website and read other Trip Advisor r...