“Clean and Comfortable, A peaceful place in the rainforest”

Tara Firma Inn Volcano
Tara Firma Inn Volcano
Ranked #29 of 32 Volcano B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family stayed in the Orchid Suite, a loft where our two kids slept in two roomy beds, a small bedroom where my husband and I slept, and a nice roomy bathroom for the four of us to share. The Inn is clean, the beds are comfortable, and a more peaceful place to stay you will not find. It's a quiet place surrounded by beautiful plants. It's a traditional bed and breakfast, so there is a common area with a small refrigerator, a microwave, tea, coffee, and some dishes and things, along with some seating and a television. Every morning we had fresh fruit and breads ready when we were ready to eat. Fritz, the inn keeper is very friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the surrounding area, the national park, and local places to eat. We enjoyed our three night stay here very much. An excellent value and a perfect place to "land" after a day of hiking and exploring the park and surrounding area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tara Firma Inn Volcano

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in the "Orchard Suite" which sounded like a fantastic deal, sleeping up to 6 with breakfast. Volcano itself is not a place you visit for the town -- but the park, lava, and nearby sites are fantastic!

Regarding the Tara Firm Inn -- Little did we know, the suite we selected is above the common area as a "loft", so we were woken up at 5AM by the owners preparing breakfast. There was no shades, so light filled the room, again, making it hard to sleep. The floor creaked, and the whole place smelled musty. The beds were uncomfortable, and the door to the bedroom can't be closed without blocking those in the "loft" out of the bathroom.

Breakfast was below average. Some cut fruit, a few odd mini-boxes of cereal, and some bread.

To top everything off, there was an additional fee per guest I was not aware of. I admit it, my mistake. But when I called to inquire why I wasn't told about this on arrival (I just noticed it on my credit card statement, and, it was way too high), the owner treated me like I was an idiot for not being able to find the policy on the website. She in turn, went to find it and had difficulty herself (hint: it's not in the "reservation policy" area of the website).

The next night, we stayed at a $50 cabin in the park, and found it cleaner, quieter and more private. I cannot recommend a stay at the Tara Firma.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank antilogic
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Fritz, the owner of Tara Firma Inn B&B was exceptionally kind and helpful. The house is gorgeous, surrounded by lush ferns of the rainforest. We stayed in the Orchid Suite upstairs, and it was clean, roomy and extremely comfortable. Breakfast was fresh fruit and toast, which was great for us. We highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Volcano.

Room Tip: The Orchid Suite is quite roomy and upstairs, and has a queen-size bed. The two other rooms have a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kate b
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Fritz and Kate provided everything we needed for a comfortable stay, very close to the gates of Volcano National Park (about 10 minutes drive). We were greeted by Fritz who offered us tea and coffee when we arrived, and gave us the great advice to go watch the volcano at night. We stayed in the Orchid Suite which consisted of the two upstairs rooms and a bathroom. There was also a nice sitting room which we used. The breakfast of fresh fruit (in the shapes of turtles!), cereal and toast was lovely, as well. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lizwilliams2012
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a most enjoyable stay here with Fritz & Kate. Our lodging consisted of two rooms with a shared bathroom and a privacy door so that we could choose when we wanted to interact with the rest of the guests. Perfect for our family with a 16 & 19 year old. Breakfast was great, fruit turtles were very cute. Great location. Tricky to find so come before dark. We loved the porch and listening to the rain. Very environmentally conscious hosts, and facility is equipped with fully functioning rainwater harvesting system which we thought was terrific.

Room Tip: Fern & Ginger rooms have their own external doors, a very nice feature.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am highly disappointed with the lack of customer service and communication by the owners of Tara Firma Inn. They do not answer their phone, nor do they return phone calls after a message is left. They are extremely strict with their cancellation policy, to the point that I will not only never consider staying there again but I feel obligated to warn others as well.

My husband and I had gotten our wires crossed about our Friday night reservations in Volcano. Late Thursday evening (around 10pm), my husband made an online reservation for the following evening at Tara Firma, not knowing that I had already made reservations elsewhere several days earlier. When I found out, I called Tara Firma first thing in the morning and left a message about the mistaken reservation. I did not receive a call back so I called again throughout the day, perhaps 5 or 6 more times so that I might reach someone. They never answered the phone and I left one more message and they never returned my phone call.

I emailed them early, as well, explaining the situation, apologizing, and asking that they cancel the reservation and charges. I did receive an email back saying that they were sorry that there was a mistake and if they were able to rebook the room, they would cancel the charge. Again, not once did they answer the phone or return my phone call. I emailed them back to express my disappointment and offered to give them one more opportunity to cancel or reverse the charges otherwise I would feel obligated to post about my experience on Trip Advisor. I received no response and the charges were not reversed.

I am a small business owner in the travel industry and we have a cancellation policy as well, so I know the necessity of a policy. However, I will take each case into consideration and see how we can work with the guest so that they feel comfortable with a solution and feel encouraged to use our company's services again. In a case like this, where a reservation was made and cancelled within 12 hours, I would understand and cancel the charges and encourage them to visit us in the future. Had the owners done this, I would have posted a very different review.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StaRo787
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We loved our stay here. It really felt like a home away from home, with a warm cosy living room to come back to after our days of hiking or touring (and since it rains a lot around here, having a nice dry place to come back to is very welcome!) Every morning there was a delicious, home prepared continental breakfast waiting for us: fruit, breads/muffins, cereal, juice, coffee and tea. The hosts, Fritz and Kate were very helpful, with advice and tips to get the most out of our time, mainly leaving us to enjoy the peace and tranquility, but just a knock away if we needed anything - they got the balance just right. We stayed in the fern room, which technically has a shared bathroom, but since the other room was empty, we had the bathroom to ourselves too. The location is excellent to explore the National Park and surrounding areas from, and even though its nice and close to Volcano village, feels wonderfully secluded among trees and ferns and lush vegetation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple