“Nice place even if you aren't in your room much”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aloha Happy Place

Aloha Happy Place
Ranked #18 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Volcano
Minnesota
“Nice place even if you aren't in your room much”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2007

This is right at the edge of the park so when you only have one night and 2 days, you want to be close so you don't miss anything. This was perfect.

It's easy to find, they make it easy to get to your room even if it's dark when you get there.

The rooms are Beautiful and very spacious. (sad we only had one night on The Big Island)

Breakfast is a wonderful spread. You'll need to find somewhere else to eat lunch and dinner, but we were pretty busy so that was just fine.

If we ever get back to "The Big Island", we'll definately stay here again.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank Terri S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2007

We tried to stay here. Our stay was booked by our travel agent - I would never have booked after reading its rating and comments from previous guests, but figured a travel agent wouldn't book in a substandard hotel. Our troubles began almost 2 weeks before we left for Hawaii when we decided to change our reservation from 2 days to 1 day at the Volcano Inn. I followed their policies online and emailed them. No response. In all, I emailed them 4 times, called them 8-10 times - literally begging them to call us, and they never did respond. Still haven't. We figured if we could just talk to someone, we could correct our reservation. No chance. When we arrived, we found our key and the "self-check-in" letter which made no reference to our change in check-in date. We looked at our room - the Bird of Paradise, which they advertise for $145 on the net, and had charged us $185/night for. It was shabby, in a very nondescript location. We were dismayed and did not want to stay there. So again, we called them - at all three numbers we had, including the cell they gave on the check-in letter - answering machines - no surprise. They didn't call us back. So we called our credit card company and did a reversal of the charge and stayed somewhere else. I have never done that before and believe me, I will pay attention to your ratings from now on! The stress nearly ruined our vacation to Hawaii.

• Disliked — Inn keepers would not communicate with us.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank MontanaWanderer

Travelers are raving about these Volcano hotels

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2006

Other reviews of this property had some negative things to say but I had no problems. Some say the staff was unfriendly, well I don't remember ever seeing any staff so that was not a problem for me. We arrived in the evening and our key was in the envelope on the noticeboard outside the office - that was easy.

The rooms were comfortable, although very basic. Checkout was just as easy as check-in. If there were no ammendments to the booking then you just put your key back in the box and your credit card was charged the agreed amount - easy!

Personally, I don't need to interact with hotel staff whilst on holiday, I like to be left alone to do my own thing so I thought this was fine.

The Thai restaurant within walking distance was great and breakfast was provided in the morning - again without having to see anyone else - fantastic!

The only problem I had with this was Volcano village itself. I assumed that this would be the best place to go on tours of the volcanoes, but apparently I could have saved myself the drive and stayed in Kona and gone on the Moana Kea summit tour from there - live and learn!

• Liked — The Thai restaurant down the street
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank waltzn_matilda
Hermosa Beach Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

We stayed in the Aloha room. small but fine.
I had the misfortune of running in to the inn keeper. The info in the room said they they had a library of 500 DVD's. I went to the common area and after the innkeeper got off the phone ( No hello or welcome to the inn or even who the heck are you) I felt as if I was a huge intrusion asking about the the DVD's. she very rudely told me that they were at the other Inn. 4 large and dark rainey driveways away. I then wanted to confirm that breakfast was in this common room, and she rudely informed me all the info I needed was written down in the room (It wasn't)
They tell you when you confirm your reservation that this is a self check in place. What I dscovered being here is that there are alot of comparable or better places that the innkeepers will help you with your trip planning of the Volcano. If you have to spend a liitle more (maybe) it would be worth it. I don't need to deal with rude people taking my money!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude innkeeper. No assistance with trip planning. Very important in this area
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ttraveler1
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2005

I was a bit hesitant staying here because of all of the bad reviews, but this was one of the few places that would take a one-night reservation. However we were pleasantly surprised by the inn. The directions were very easy to follow, our key was right where it was supposed to be, and the room was clean. There were tons of amenities: chocolates, robes, flowers, hairdryer, tv, and internet access in the lounge area. Breakfast was served in the morning and the innkeeper was very pleasant. We had a great time there and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank GoGatorsTampa_FL
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2005

I have to agree with the experience of the people who had trouble getting the key and a surly innkeeper. We found our key and the rather complicated directions to the "other site" ok, but once we were in our very nice room, we found the toilet stopped up with dirty water and paper in it. We also found a note with coupons for a cafe on the dresser. The note said that the building we were in did not provide breakfast, so we could use the coupons at the local cafe (tax and tip NOT INCLUDED). We called the inn on our cellphone, and were directed by the answering machine to call their cellphone. We called their cell phone and were directed by the answering machine to leave a cell phone number and they would call back. When, after 15 minutes, they did not call back, I went back to the main office and rang the bell until someone answered. When I told her the toilet was stopped up she told me to use the plunger under the sink. This for $125 (plus tax) a night! More surly service ensued, with the innkeeper telling me the toilet was ok when she left and if I had read the website I would know that breakfast was not included in this room. There are plenty of B&Bs, or perhaps I should say guesthouses as there is no breakfast here, in the area, and although the rooms are very nice, it is not worth the aggravation.

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank MartineB
Neuss, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2004

The late check inn didn't work; there was no envelope ith the key for us. We called the owners number from the payphone downstairs - only a answering machine! We couldn't reach the owner and so we went to the grocer store at volcano where a lovely lady helped us to get another B&B for the night because it was getting dark and rainy outside. On the next day we returned back to the volcano inn. The lady had forgotten our arrival. We got a great excuse and she credited us one night and we get a gift from the volcano winery so it was okay and we weren't angry anymore. But remember: Are on time or you can get in a lot of trouble finding another room.....
The Aloha-room was in a fine condition and the breakfast was very good; a nice hawaiian housekeeping lady helped us with the breakfast.

6 Thank RalfBeier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
Aloha Crater Lodge
Aloha Crater Lodge
#13 of 31 in Volcano
Aloha Junction Bed and Breakfast

Been to Aloha Happy Place? Share your experiences!