“WAY Overrated”

Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Volcano
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Thai cuisine with the addition of some new international bistro options. We have recently added to our staff, Chef Jun. He brings his expertise to our new international options.
Reviewed August 21, 2007

If you are in Volcano HI and want to eat you do not have a lot of choices. Based upon the reviews here (at the time, this #1 rated for the "town"), we decided to dine here.

THIS IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THAI RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER EATEN AT. And not all that good. If it wasn't so expensive and overrated, I might give it a 2 instead of a 1 - but for this price and the reviews I saw here, I thought I'd be getting something special. To those that say it's the best they had in Hawaii, or "this side" of Bangkok - you haven't had Thai food.

VERY BUSY. Mainly because unless you want to travel 30-40 minutes, you don't have many choices. I think the people giving these reviews just want to believe they didn't just get royally ripped off (which they did).

I have spent a lot of time in Thailand. The food here is NOT Thai. It's "Americanized" Thai food. And not that good.
Papaya Salad - what a joke - especially in Hawaii where there's plenty of green papaya. I went to a Thai cooking school in Thailand, and must say I can make a better Papaya salad than I got here. And the one here is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced at $10 for just papaya. There are whole peanuts in this - they are supposed to be pounded/ground. There are whole tomato slices in this - they are supposed to be smashed. The flavor is lacking - there's supposed to be some fish sauce, some dried shrimp, some garlic and shallots, and some HEAT - there wasn't any. There was also no heat or anything else on the table to add to the bland dish - although when we asked, some red pepper and vinegar with peppers was delivered to the table.

Tom Yam soup - OK - was good. But, again, the price was outrageous, and it wasn't anything but "good". Not excellent.

The rest of the dishes we ordered, again, were OK - nothing special, and certainly not worth the $.
I would avoid this restaurant in the future - there are much better Thai restaurants in Hilo, as well as in other parts of Hawaii.
For example, Oriental Thai in Kona where an entire meal cost less than the Papaya salad was excellent, and authentic.
This place is WAY over-rated.

3  Thank Love2beTraveling
Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed August 17, 2007

My husband said. Having made the decision (after 8 miles of hiking through and around the volcanoes that day) to get our food to go and take back to our lovely accomodation (more of that separately), we waited while two other couples who arrived _after_ us, were served their food, while we waited for our to go order.

The restaurant was particularly busy that night, but we did eventually receive our order. The papaya salad was excellent, the tom kha gai very good indeed, but it was the panang curry that took the prize. Fantastic, spicy (we asked for it hot, and it was to our delight) with perfectly cooked vegetables that still had bite to them. Yum yum. Next time we won't make the mistake of getting it to go, we'll eat it there!

Reviewed April 4, 2007

Just wanted to note my agreement with the "excellent" reviews. I am a vegetarian and was pleased with my dish. My dining partner wanted fish and was also pleased. The staff was ok, but the woman who I assume to be the owner was particularly customer-oriented.

4  Thank HawaiiReview
Reviewed March 6, 2007

I have eaten Thai food all around the world and this ranks in the top 5!!! the red curry is some of the best I have ever had!
and reasonable prices considering they have a captive audience (very few restaurants in the area)

4  Thank gregskinner8181
Reviewed March 1, 2007

The little town of Volcano is DEFINITELY worth stopping in at for dinner - Thai Thai Restaurant is one of the best Thai restaurants we've ever eaten at (having eaten at many!), and we've already recommended it to just about anyone we've spoken to about the Hawaiian Volcanoes, including other travellers we met during our travels. Don't miss it! Keep in mind that it is open only for dinner, starting at 4pm.

5  Thank BioTravellers