“Good”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Wisconsin
“Good”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We liked this place and ate breakfast there twice. It was one of the only places in Volcano open past 7pm. We didn't have any other meals there, but the breakfasts were good. Their passion fruit butter is not to be missed. I was very hesitant to try it on my pancakes, but I am so glad I did. It is awesome.

• Visited February 2013

Chicago
“Economical, Open Late, Basic”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lava Rock Cafe has a wide menu and I think you should be able to find something for just about anyone - except if you are Vegan think salad. The food is tasty but think more along the lines of Applebees - like frozen vegetables rather than fresh, etc. Also, if you ask if there are a good amount of vegetables in a dish and the server says yes, you won't agree when you get your food.

Definitely a good option if it's late because there are very few options in the area. I think this would be a good place for a family because of the variety and the prices.

Visited January 2013
Randolph, New Jersey
“Great Moco Loco!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We chose the Lava Rock Cafe while looking for a late lunch after touring Volcanoes National Park. A tour group on a bus was just departing the restaurant when we arrived, so it wasn't crowded. The menu offered standard diner choices. Service was friendly and OK for a cafe. My Loco Moco was one of the best that I had tasted on the islands; my wife's fish sandwich was fair, but had a couple of bones in it (I hate that!). Prices were reasonable. The rest room was filthy and it made me wonder about the cleanliness of the kitchen.

• Visited October 2012
Warsaw, Poland
“Probably the best option when in Volcano”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is probably the best in the area. Looks like a family-owned diner. Food is cheap, service excelent and there's a blonde server with a smile that would make you write bad checks ;)

• Visited February 2013
San Mateo, California
“Tasty Lunch, Blah Service”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Pretty spectacular burger, I must say. Nice bun, hand-formed, well seasoned patty and fresh accessories. Frankly better than I was expecting when we walked in. I generally don't venture much beyond the noble hamburger in cafe/coffee shops like this, so I can't speak to the rest of the menu (which is diverse and includes all manner of sandwiches, mixed plates and salads). My husband's fries were quite respectable (ask me how I know), as was my side salad, except for the weirdly hard tomatoes, considering that the ones on the burger were fine.

It didn't say so on the menu, but we found out later that the burgers were made with local beef. I rather thought so, given their deliciousness, but I was rather surprised that the restaurant didn't make a bigger deal out of that.

I had to say "average" because the service here is... disconnected, but it will get you in and out in a timely fashion. Just don't ask any hard questions (e.g., if you think you want a mai tai - they do have a full bar - just get a beer instead).

Visited February 2013